Question

Sonos Arc | Sony eArc | Atmos

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I noticed that playing Atmos content from Netflix , using native HDMI cable provided by Sonos , connected on eArc - stops audio while movie continues playing . Started noticing today as I am watching Atmos content continuously for about 2 hour ish. I am using Ethernet connected and do not have any other sonos product . Is this a software bug or some Audio signal getting lost after sometime , works after restarting the unit . Any thoughts from community ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

48 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

still no update on this? tried all I can with settings to a point where I'm thinking about sending mine back. 

Try switching your HDMI cable as I tried that and possibly could be something with the stock HDMI cables provided with Sonos arc , I will keep you posted if my changes HDMI also results in same issue . If it does then I am also seriously considering returning my arc .  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

still no update on this? tried all I can with settings to a point where I'm thinking about sending mine back. 

Try switching your HDMI cable as I tried that and possibly could be something with the stock HDMI cables provided with Sonos arc , I will keep you posted if my changes HDMI also results in same issue . If it does then I am also seriously considering returning my arc .  

I'll give it and post back here. as a last resort I might do a factory reset on the TV to make sure there's no issues since the android 9.0 update at the beginning of the year.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I'll give it and post back here. as a last resort I might do a factory reset on the TV to make sure there's no issues since the android 9.0 update at the beginning of the year.

Do let us know as I was suggested same steps to try switching cable and then reset . Hopefully it all works and I do not have to initiate a return.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

well I wouldn't bother with a factory reset. spent a few hours last night doing it B4 going to bed then stuck the TV on first thing this morning and no sound happening again within 20 mins. really close to giving up since there doesn't seem to be any support from sonos. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

also it happened on TV and not Netflix first time it's done that.

I’ve got similar / same issue I think…

ive got a Sony 65A1 and connected to the Sonos Arc via hdmi3/arc. This was working when I first connected it but has since stopped. when I put the tv into standby it seems to disconnect the soundbar and when turning the tv back on I don’t get any sound. 

There was a time when I could disconnect the HDMI cables and reconnect and it would work again but even that isn’t working now.

I’m inclined to think that it is a problem with the TV sadly because when I goto the song Bravia sync page it doesn’t show up any devices but I know it used to show the PS4 and Sky Q devices before. 

Any help, like everyone else is asking, would be appreciated!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

how have you got on with switching the hdmi lead? I've just switched mine now as it's the only thing I've not tried yet.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

how have you got on with switching the hdmi lead? I've just switched mine now as it's the only thing I've not tried yet.

It’s working well so far after swapping the stock HDMI cables with a different one but I also disconnected another source - ps3 at the same time when I swapped the HDMI . So will give few more days before I put the ps3 back . 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

It’s working well so far after swapping the stock HDMI cables with a different one but I also disconnected another source - ps3 at the same time when I swapped the HDMI . So will give few more days before I put the ps3 back . 

well it lasted a bit longer. I got a good few hours this time but no sound yet again and I'm out of options. I'm gonna need to return it which is gutting, wish I could get it to work as I really like it. but with non existent support on the issue from Sony or Sonos it has to be done £800 is to costly if I can't get it to work properly. thanks for your help/feedback.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

HDMI Swap didn’t last longer than about a week while binge watching and I have submitted a diagnostic to Sonos here as a reference - but I am certain it’s got something to do with caching whether in the sound system or 📺 and when that exceeds time or buffer it chokes .

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

HDMI Swap didn’t last longer than about a week while binge watching and I have submitted a diagnostic to Sonos here as a reference - but I am certain it’s got something to do with caching whether in the sound system or 📺 and when that exceeds time or buffer it chokes .

what firmware is your TV on?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi niranjans, what makes you certain it has something to do with caching? Does this only happen when the video pauses to buffer or something? That would be a helpful clue if that’s the case.

Just so you know, none of the Sonos HT devices do any caching of TV audio as it needs to play in real-time with the video. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi niranjans, what makes you certain it has something to do with caching? Does this only happen when the video pauses to buffer or something? That would be a helpful clue if that’s the case.

Just so you know, none of the Sonos HT devices do any caching of TV audio as it needs to play in real-time with the video. 

It occurred after an extended pause for about 4-7 mins of the video and then while resuming the video there wasn’t any audio . I noticed when switching between apps like Disney+ to YouTube to Netflix there was either distorted audio or no audio .

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

It occurred after an extended pause for about 4-7 mins of the video and then while resuming the video there wasn’t any audio . I noticed when switching between apps like Disney+ to YouTube to Netflix there was either distorted audio or no audio .

Thank you, that’s very interesting. Was that a pause that you yourself did by hitting pause on your remote or was it an automatic buffering pause? If this was due to a remote interaction, is it reliably repeatable?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thank you, that’s very interesting. Was that a pause that you yourself did by hitting pause on your remote or was it an automatic buffering pause? If this was due to a remote interaction, is it reliably repeatable?

It was me pausing it using the remote and then resuming . The above code was generated by repeating it but I don’t know if it’s reliably repeatable every time on 4-7 mins pause or after extended watching and then doing the pause for 4-7 mins . 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

It was me pausing it using the remote and then resuming . The above code was generated by repeating it but I don’t know if it’s reliably repeatable every time on 4-7 mins pause or after extended watching and then doing the pause for 4-7 mins . 

It happened again this morning while I tried playing Disney + content and here is the latest diagnostics data , this time the issue was when going back to the video few mins and starting to playback and audio was intermittent however the same time when I checked my system on app it jus reports as silence .

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

what firmware is your TV on?

Android tv version 9 , kernel 4.9.125

Badge +1

I am also experiencing this and the only way I can fix is actually pulling the plug out, simply turning the TV off does not work. I wondered if it could be something to do with the voice assistant, tried both Alexa and GA but the sound still turns off. Pretty annoying, this never occurs with music and is random, perhaps a couple of times a week. Has anybody had any luck at stopping this?

I am also experiencing this and the only way I can fix is actually pulling the plug out, simply turning the TV off does not work. I wondered if it could be something to do with the voice assistant, tried both Alexa and GA but the sound still turns off. Pretty annoying, this never occurs with music and is random, perhaps a couple of times a week. Has anybody had any luck at stopping this?

I haven’t got my Arc yet as it’s still on backorder. But I’d do have a Sony XG95, so have been reading up on setups etc for when it does arrive lol. 

Saw a discussion in Reddit where there was an issue between Sonos Arc and Sony Bravia, and this was what somebody posted. 

Think it sort of makes sense as Earc is handling the audio, so HDMI doesn’t need to be set to enhanced to receive 4K video. 

Might be worth a try, if you haven’t already got it set like this. Post back if it does help. 🙂

Badge +1

The update Sonos released earlier in the week seems to have done the trick for me. I have not experienced one drop out since. I am going to check my hdmi 3 settings though. Cheers.

The update Sonos released earlier in the week seems to have done the trick for me. I have not experienced one drop out since. I am going to check my hdmi 3 settings though. Cheers.

Glad to hear that.  :)

Always good to hear things resolved. 
Especially with similar set ups.  👍

I am experiencing the same issue with a sony xbr-65a9g connected to my ARC via the e-arc interface. The issue occurs somewhat randomly and is not limited to Netflix. I also experienced this on occasion while using youtube tv. It also seems to present itself when i turn on the issue and persists even when switching between different onboard streaming applications like netflix, youtube etc. It is easily resolved by disconnecting and reconnecting power to both the tv and the arc. I was also able to stream audio/music from my phone to the arc while experiencing the issue.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community and welcome to the new users here. About your concern @kellog, is it both happening when playing music in the Sonos app and watching TV? If that’s the case, submit a diagnostic and reply to us with the confirmation number to further check it for you. We and the community are always here.