Answered

Sonos ARC > Sky Q > Lip Sync Issue

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I have recently swapped an old 5.1 system out with the Sonos Arc.  The 5.1 system had all components connected into the A/V receiver with one HDMI from the receiver to the TV (Sony Bravia KD49XE8005) and had absolutely no lip sync problems.

I’ve now set up the Arc (via ARC) and, I thought, everything was still fine.  I had no lip sync issues on apple TV, PS4 and some Sky content.  Sonos Arc is connected via ARC (HDMI 3 in my TV’s case) with the Apple TV, PS4 and Sky Q box connected via other HDMI inputs.  

However, I have identified a very specific issue with Sky Q.  When watching stereo content (i.e. non HD) I have no lip sync issues.  When watching UHD Atmos content (output via DD+), there are no lip sync issues.  However, when Sky Q outputs DD5.1 the audio and video go out of sync in the way that can’t be fixed (i.e. video is ahead of the audio).

I have tried a power cycle and the issue still persists.  Additionally, when I set the Sky Q HDMI output to normal and it outputs in stereo the audio and video are in sync.

I really want to find a solution to this because the Arc sounds great and Atmos content is brilliant, but lip sync issues for what is likely to be the vast majority of my TV watching is a bit of a deal breaker!

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

icon

Best answer by RussHill919 5 July 2020, 08:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

48 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

The issue is in the Sky end, from what we can figure out.

Sky has always been “iffy” with lip sync, had issues for years with skyHD with different TVs and sound systems, they eventually sorted it.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m considering giving up my Sky Q TV package altogether which will save me a lot of money each month. I tend to only watch the main TV channels anyway i.e BBC, ITV, Ch 4 & 5. Plus Youtube, Netflix & Amazon Prime. Most I can get through the Samsung 2020 smart TV. I have an Apple TV and an Amazon Firestick available. What are the best alternatives to Sky Q? 

Hey! Broadband have just laid fibre optic cables in my road and offering 1gb FTTP for £40 a month which is very tempting and covered by the Sky TV savings. 

I also assume that by cutting out the Sky Q box I can then connect the hdmi cable from the Arc to the TV earc and get Dolby Atmos?

Badge +1

Do we know which department in sky is looking into this? So if we were to call we could get a direct update?

for me on a Panasonic dx750 and sky Q and Sonos beam some HD channels are now out of sync but then they can also be in sync. It is very hit and miss but more miss. All connected via ARC.

Badge

Despite the Toslink Optical switcher resolving the lip sync issues I've just discovered the next gen consoles (PS5/Xbox Series X) have no optical port so if I ever upgraded my PS4 I'd be stuck. If that happens I might have to resort to HDMI/Optical splitter instead, but not sure if that would cause the lip sync issues to return. Not ideal.

I have solved my lip sync issues with Sky Q 2TB  Samsung Q80 series 2020 model and my Sonos Beam , Sub 2x SL2

Set all sound delays to zero on all three devices

Sky HDMI to Dolby Digital 

Then on the TV in Sound Settings -Expert

HDMI -eARC  Set to Auto

Digital output audio format to Pass-through

This last setting I think is the key to solving the delay

While not an expert I think this then allows the audio signal to be processed by the Beam and not the TV

The TV processing is causing the negative sync

Hope this may help 

Useful discussion to read. I’ve just ordered a Sonos Arc and Sub. I am disappointed to read that at this price point, issues of lip sync exist with Sky, which is probably the most extensively used service in the UK. Whilst purchasing a device to split audio and video is a solution, i’m not impressed this has to be done. 

A question I have - is it worth continuing with the order until this issue is resolved? I currently have a Yamaha YsP 2500 set up and wanted to upgrade. My TV does not have e-arc either, so not sure of the benefit I will see. 

I think the Arc and Sub will be a fantastic combination and most people have no issues with the lip sync 

I solved mine just be fine tuning the set up to suit my Sonos,Sky and Samsung TV set up as described in the previous post

This didn’t need any audio splitter etc

The only issue I can see with the Sonos Arc is that it will work with a standard HDMI arc ( eARC is preferred) connection but you are going to hope your TV will pass though the digital audio output from Sky to the Sonos 

Obviously you can use the optical connection but would the lose the advantage of using the voice control 

Hope you enjoy the Arc and Sub 

Thanks, that’s useful to know. Like others, I’m not sure my 2016 Panasonic 65” 902b will pass through dolby digital from Sky, but only one way to find out. Sub has arrived, just waiting the Arc. 

They are great fun to set up 

if you are an I phone user definitely use the true play feature in the S2 Sonos app to tune the speakers to your room

If you are a Android user Set them up as instructed then borrow a friends I phone and down load the S2 App

This does work well despite you look a bit of an idiot walking around the room waving the phone in the air😄

Then delete the app off your friends phone 

Let us know how you get on👍

Had Samsung 2014 4K tv future ready. Sky q and Sonos both said no issues with sound. I could only use the Normal setting on sky q.

Been trying Jessica’s settings out, I get different results. Will work for sky news hd, massive sync issue for sky golf and recorded program. Setting to 0 for lip sync for Samsung and sky q is ok. But you still have a group delay setting on Sonos.

I am not impressed with either Sonos, Samsung and Sky Q on the fact that as technology improves issues like this appear. It’s so frustrating that the sound issues are still an issue. I have found a solution for now is sitting it Dolby digital, just can’t get the plus version without doing my head in.

wilo wait and see if sky q upgrades the technology with Sonos and Samsung 

Hi Steve 

Sorry to hear you are having the lip sync issue

Sky digital plus as far as I know is another name for Dolby Atmos so to get this signal to the Arc you will probably need a fairly new top end TV that can process or pass through the audio codec

Also it must be an HDMI connection from the Sky box if you want Dolby + as it is not available with an optical connection 

Mine is a Samsung Qled 2020 model with eARC and the fix I described in a previous post has definitely worked for me

My previous Samsung TV 2016  UHD model would only pass through the standard Sky audio 

If you tried to change it to Dolby digital or Digital + the sound disappeared when ever you chose a channel that was broadcasting in one of these formats 

Fingers crossed you find a solution 

I have just bought a Samsung 65inch Q95T. Previous tv only worked with normal. Hence frustration.

thought everything was sorted. It’s one step up from normal but could do with DD+ working on sky q for all channels. Have posted on their.

so problem just keeps getting pushed to next technology! Oh well. Wait and see 

What's available?

Dolby Atmos is currently available on live Ultra HD broadcasts of English Premier League matches, selected Ultra HD Sky Cinema downloads and at times, selected Box Sets from Sky One and Sky Atlantic (if you have the Sky Signature or Sky Ultimate TV packages)

Don’t know if this helps but this is on the Sky set up pages for Digital +

I was under impression that if you set it to DD+ That the sky q would transition it to atmos automatically. That may explain the reason of lip sync issue and varying degrees of issues for different channels in DD+. I’ll just leave in DD for now and see if sky get back to me. 

all I know is Arc and TV are 2020 and Sky q is at least 2 yrs old and is current box. One day all the tech will talk nicely to each other  

So, a week into installing Sonos arc + sub, to work alongside a 2016 Panasonic 65DX902B. Amazing improvement on sound compared to my previous Yamaha YSP-2500 sound bar set up, particular bass and filling the room with sound. It is not atmos due to TV but netflix / amazon sounds great with digital 5.1 showing in the system read out. 

However, with my SKY HD box on digital setting, I have massive lip sync issues - sound is way behind the picture, so cannot be corrected. I have to put the SKY box into ‘standard’ stereo sound to correct. Even more annoying is that the old Yamaha soundbar, which had multiple HMDI inputs and Arc output, processed the sound perfectly and pushed the picture to the TV, no problem. 

Not sure why Sonos insist on the TV processing everything first and then passing to their equipment. Surely, makes more sense for the advanced Sonos to do the processing first? Fortunately, sufficiently pleased with the sound improvement, not to return it.

Guess it will have to be a (premature) TV upgrade at some point, to get both the atmos benefit and the lip sync resolved.  

I think you have hit the nail on the head so to speak 

A new TV with the ability to pass through the codec to the Sonos and eARC technology should solve the issues 

There are some good TV deals on at present Especially this Friday😄

I have solved my lip sync issues with Sky Q 2TB  Samsung Q80 series 2020 model and my Sonos Beam , Sub 2x SL2

Set all sound delays to zero on all three devices

Sky HDMI to Dolby Digital 

Then on the TV in Sound Settings -Expert

HDMI -eARC  Set to Auto

Digital output audio format to Pass-through

This last setting I think is the key to solving the delay

While not an expert I think this then allows the audio signal to be processed by the Beam and not the TV

The TV processing is causing the negative sync

Hope this may help 

Thanks Jessica, boom 💥 sorted since you said “HDMI -eARC  Set to Auto” i followed your instructions and it worked. I’m using a 4K Sony KD65A8 OLED and was pulling my hair out with arc lip sync issues with Sky 2TB box. 

Great news Glad it worked for you to👍

I actually have the reverse problem but with a Sonos Beam and subs. Sky Q  UHD into Sony AF9 into Sonus Beam. Audio is actually before the video and there isn’t enough delay adjustment in the beam to totally get rid of it.

Sky Q on TV speakers is fine. internal TV tuner on internal TV speakers is fine. Either via Sonos Beam and audio is early.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Not sure how long it may take to be fair, at least the right people are now aware of it and starting to work on it 😁

Hey @RichH3nson , 🙋🏻‍♂️ 

did they ever get back to you on this issue, just keep seeing more and more complaints about it, Sky never seem to address it in any updates.

I tried the people I knew at Sky, but not heard any positive information back.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Not sure how long it may take to be fair, at least the right people are now aware of it and starting to work on it 😁

Hey @RichH3nson , 🙋🏻‍♂️ 

did they ever get back to you on this issue, just keep seeing more and more complaints about it, Sky never seem to address it in any updates.

I tried the people I knew at Sky, but not heard any positive information back.

After doing the rounds with some of the test/audio folks they’ve all said that it’s down to how the tv handles the decoding of the signals. 
If it was affecting all tv’s then potentially it could have been their issue but because it only happens on certain models and they’ve not changed anything the whole way through they say it’s down to the tv manufacturers. They’re still looking at other things though.

I have both Philips and LG and it doesn’t happen on either. The Philips used to fall behind a little when it had been paused for a while and rebooting the tv fully sorted it, after an update it’s been fine ever since.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Thanks for the update, seems a bit weird that it happens with multiple different TV manufacturers / models and in my case, at least, not with any other devices connected to the TV, Sky Q is the only common item across multiple brands of TV and sound bars that I have tried since getting Sky Q in 2016. Philips, Panasonic, Samsung TV’s, Yamaha, Playbar, Beam and Arc sound bars.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for the update, seems a bit weird that it happens with multiple different TV manufacturers / models and in my case, at least, not with any other devices connected to the TV, Sky Q is the only common item across multiple brands of TV and sound bars that I have tried since getting Sky Q in 2016. Philips, Panasonic, Samsung TV’s, Yamaha, Playbar, Beam and Arc sound bars.

True, this is the exact kind of evidence I’ve sent across to the test team.

They’ve said they’re still looking into different things but it’s not a quick process unfortunately