Sonos Arc + PS5 + Linear PCM

• 23 December 2020
  • 11 replies

Badge

There’s been a lot of discussion around this issue but I’ve seen no definitive answer from a Sonos rep so let me try asking based on my personal setup.

I have a Sony PS5 connected to a Sony AG9 OLED via the HDMI 1 port (enhanced). That TV is connected to a Sonos ARC via the HDMI 3 port (eARC, enhanced) with the Sub (gen 3) and x2 One SLs.

The TV sound settings are as follows:

• Speakers: Audio System
  • A/V sync: Auto
  • eARC mode: Auto
  • Digital audio out: Auto 1
  • Digital audio out volume: Max
  • Dolby Digital Plus output: Dolby Digital Plus
  • Pass through mode: Auto

The Arc has successfully output Dolby Digital Plus, DD+ and Atmos in testing with various Android TV streaming apps including Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and Apple TV+. So the TV using it’s built-in apps are performing great. The PS5 however is a different story...

The PS5 settings are as follows:

• HDMI Device Type: AV Amplifier
  • Number of Channels: 5.1
  • Audio Format: Linear PCM

The Sonos App tells me that the audio in this configuration is Multichannel PCM 5.1 which is correct however the sound is audibly low and to my ears (and judging by the community theirs as well) there appears to be channels compressed/missing.

Now, if I switch the Audio Format to Bitstream (Dolby) the Sonos app tells me that the audio in is Dolby Digital 5.1 which is also correct (and sounds far better than LPCM with audible distinction between channels) however this would mean no DD+ or Atmos for supported Blue-ray discs if I understand correctly.

So the questions:

• What are the best sound settings for the PS5 in this configuration?
  • Is there a bug with the LPCM implementation?
  • If yes, is it being addressed?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

11 replies

I have the (much) older PS3 slim ..and with the default LPCM selected - I just get 2.1 PCM stereo, even if I manually add the 5.1/7.1 LPCM codecs to the HDMI audio-out settings, but with "Bitstream" selected I get Dolby 5.1 TrueHD from my discs.

I would have thought with the PS5 one would get either compressed DD+ 5.1 (with/without Atmos) or uncompressed Dolby TrueHD (with/without Atmos) with the Bitstream option selected.

I’m guessing it must depend on the disc (audio source) as to its support for LPCM, but I don’t have all that many movie discs to test these issues. I have left my older Sony device set to ‘bitstream’.

I am experiencing the same situation as yours. I find myself constantly switching when watching Blu-ray (linear pcm) and games (bitstream Dolby). Not sure what I am missing either. Honestly Sony is a mess in its Dolby vision snd Dolby atmos support. 

Userlevel 7

I am experiencing the same situation as yours. I find myself constantly switching when watching Blu-ray (linear pcm) and games (bitstream Dolby). Not sure what I am missing either. Honestly Sony is a mess in its Dolby vision snd Dolby atmos support. 

For Blu-rays, when watching a Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, or Dolby Atmos disc, set the player to Bitstream. When watching a DTS-HD Master Audio or DTS:X disc, set the player to LPCM.

For Blu-rays, when watching a Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, or Dolby Atmos disc, set the player to Bitstream. When watching a DTS-HD Master Audio or DTS:X disc, set the player to LPCM.

You are correct. I meant to say Bitstream for Dolby Atmos. 

Btw I also came across this other thread. Seems like there is a bug in Sonos arc’s implementation of lpcm. Not sure if it’s the case or it’s the PS5 fault. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

The LPCM implementation is embarrassing and the lack of acknowledgment that this will ever be fixed means the Arc is probably the last soundbar I’m buying from Sonos. I can live with having to raise my volume a bit for a few months if that’s what it takes but the 7.1 downmixing problem is unacceptable.

Badge

I’ve noticed for me the PS5 sends “Multi Channel PCM 7.1” to the Arc regardless of whether I’ve selected Bitstream or PCM in playing a DTS-HD audio Blu Ray in its player.  So I’ve left it on bitstream to avoid the switching over to it when playing an Atmos disc.  It also sends all the other formats I’ve tried (Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital) correctly to Arc as what they are this way.

I’m using eARC and passthrough to the Arc from my LG TV though, so I’m wondering whether the PS5 just passes the correct thing over, and I avoid having to think about anything.  Either way I’m happy to not fiddle around with manual settings dependent on the audio format that happens to be on a given Blu ray disc I am playing as it should be.

It seems like newer Samsung TVs especially seem to have a eArc passthrough problem, which leads to 5.1 DTS being downmixed to stereo whenever you use the UHD bluray player of the PS5. Samsung has acknowledged that they are aware of the problem and both they and Sony are working on a solution...Whatever that means...

It would be nice to get a professional answere for this problem. I’m getting the exact same results and would like to hear an answere from the Sonia team.

This is what works for me too. …and my LG C9 TV also passes through the DTS 5.1 audio codec, so I’m more than happy with that, but maybe one day Sonos will go onto provide the option to use the DTS:X / HD codecs too, even if it perhaps comes at an additional cost.

It would be nice to get a professional answere for this problem. I’m getting the exact same results and would like to hear an answere from the Sonia team.

This is a community forum, with a very few Sonos moderators who police it. If you’re looking for a response from Sonos, your best bet would be to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it..