Question

Sonos Arc - Panasonic Plasma TV with no ARC!!!

• 4 November 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

My 2008 Panasonic plasma TV is still going strong - making it a tough negotiation with my wife to replace it with an OLED that will give as good a picture! 

My viewing is mainly through Virgin Media V6 … and sometimes Blu-ray.

I’m about to hit the ‘Buy’ button for the Arc (although it does look like there’s a shortage at the moment). My TV doesn’t have an ARC HDMI … but I’ve read that I would need to connect with an HDMI optical adapter … but that would mean ATMOS wouldn’t be possible??

So I was wondering if it might be possible to use an HDMI splitter - HDMI cable from V6to the splitter and then one HDMI to TV for picture and a second HDMI to the Arc for sound.

Any thoughts on if this would work … or any better suggestions (other than buying a new TV) 😄

Thanks ... 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

No it wouldn’t work because the Arc is expecting an HDMI-ARC or eARC signal not HDMI.  You could do this with a device called Arcana, by HDFury.  (Just google it.)  It isn’t cheap but I have one and it does a great job.  Also sorts out lip sync issues that may arise on some TVs.  There are a couple of threads on here about it.

Example thread

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/no-earc-arcana-from-hd-fury-has-arrived-and-it-works-with-the-sonos-arc-6848286

Be aware that no Sonos soundbar supports DTS format, and that can be an issue with some Blu-Ray discs.

The TV almost certainly has pair of audio out jacks. I would merely connect these to a stereo amp, and wire a pair of good speakers to said amp. I don't know what you are using for sound just now, but this solution can hold its own against any bar+Subwoofer solution if bass capable speakers are selected. And for stereo music play without TV, it will deliver better results.

The amp can be a Sonos Amp if you want to get in Sonos, or have this integrate with existing Sonos units - there is a potential issue here of lipsync, but it has not bothered me with my Panasonic TVs. Sonos Amp will run for about twice the price of a good enough stereo amp though.

No, you won't have Atmos or the latest alphabet soup of formats, but I am not sure how valid these are for home viewing/sound.

I love Atmos on my Arc, but I concede that not everybody wants them.

I have used my basic set up to great effect since 1998, and have not been affected by format obsolescence driven issues starting from digital Dolby back in the day. All my DVDs/blu ray and now Netflix work fine with no hiccups on this set up and the separate speakers give a very good panning effect across the screen for movies, even as I am able to dedicate a room for movies on a 50 inch Panasonic plasma TV since 2011.

When I need to be immersed in sound of a rare movie like Dunkirk for example, I go to a nearby multiplex - about once in a couple of years.

Badge +1

The TV almost certainly has pair of audio out jacks. I would merely connect these to a stereo amp, and wire a pair of good speakers to said amp. I don't know what you are using for sound just now, but this solution can hold its own against any bar+Subwoofer solution if bass capable speakers are selected. And for stereo music play without TV, it will deliver better results.

The amp can be a Sonos Amp if you want to get in Sonos, or have this integrate with existing Sonos units - there is a potential issue here of lipsync, but it has not bothered me with my Panasonic TVs. Sonos Amp will run for about twice the price of a good enough stereo amp though.

No, you won't have Atmos or the latest alphabet soup of formats, but I am not sure how valid these are for home viewing/sound.

Thank you Kumar.

I am selling my Denon AVR and B&W speakers (left, right, centre) … as we are just looking to streamline what we have in our lounge and I want to move to Sonos in the house for everything TV and sounds related. 

I totally get that the resulting sound won’t match my existing setup … but for us it’s a balance … reducing wires, remote controls, multiple speakers in the room etc.

So I’m really keen to understand how to make the lost of what I will have - my Panny, VM box and then the Arc when I can get my hands on one. I will check out John B’s suggestion.