Answered

Sonos Arc - Metallic Sound

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hi All.

It’s a relief that Sonos has identified the bug that’s causing the bass distortion in Sonos Arc. Thank you @Ryan S for working with the Sonos Communty to identify the problem quickly.

Having said this, I believe that Sonos still needs more work to make the Arc sound as it was advertised. Currently, multiple people on Reddit including myself are reporting the highs being too high which sort of feels “harsh”. This improve the speech clarity and brings out details in the movies, but the warmth in speech is lost because the voices sound thin and metallic (for eg. actors I know having heavy voices don’t sound heavy). I was expecting the mid-range to be a lot better considering the Arc has 8 woofers. 

I have tried TruPlaying twice without success (Turning TruPlay off produces muffled sound). Adjusting the treble also did not help much. Loudness turned on and off does not make a big difference either. May be, this is how the Arc is tuned?!

Anyone else feels that Arc is over-emphasizing the highs with compromised mids?

icon

Best answer by Scott - Sonos 3 July 2020, 00:56

View original

1017 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Good points and I agree wholeheartedly.

Hey, it plays music, just not as well as it plays movies/tv. Jury is still out on my end. If both sub and Arc were a couple of hundred less expensive each, I’d just run it as a tv only system and be fine with it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Good points and I agree wholeheartedly.

Hey, it plays music, just not as well as it plays movies/tv. Jury is still out on my end. If both sub and Arc were a couple of hundred less expensive each, I’d just run it as a tv only system and be fine with it.

The problem is not that it doesn't play music as well as it plays movies/tv, it's that it plays music, just not as well as a play 5 or even a pair of one's play music... Or a playbar for that matter! 

In the end  I might just  have to try it out for myself to see for sure, it's just that my faith in the future of Sonos room quite a hit.

Jumping in late here and way to much to read… Bottom line, is it worth purchasing the Arc to replace my Beam? Outside of this thread, the reviews I’ve found all make it sound like the Arc is the shit. This thread though makes me think it’s shitty. I’m lost. 

Jumping in late here and way to much to read… Bottom line, is it worth purchasing the Arc to replace my Beam? Outside of this thread, the reviews I’ve found all make it sound like the Arc is the shit. This thread though makes me think it’s shitty. I’m lost. 

If you have a pair of surrounds and a sub to pair with the Arc then you will not be disappointed. The Arc by itself was terrible at launch, both opinion and fact. But things have improved. The bass issue is 95% resolved, it only crops up in the most obscure places at volumes too high when it is unpaired with a sub and surrounds.  The metallic issue is also mostly fixed, but has been narrowed down to an issue with Trueplay on certain iPhone models. I started a thread here about it, with a video link for a deeper explanation.  

TL:DR: As of Jan 2020 the Arc is a great HT purchase IF you are also pairing it with  surrounds and a sub.

I was once a user who wanted to return my Arc that I preorded, as of now I am  90% happy with my Sonos purchase.  (still burned by no DTS, yes I am one of those guys).

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

If you have a pair of surrounds and a sub to pair with the Arc then you will not be disappointed. The Arc by itself was terrible at launch, both opinion and fact. But things have improved. The bass issue is 95% resolved, it only crops up in the most obscure places at volumes too high when it is unpaired with a sub and surrounds.  The metallic issue is also mostly fixed, but has been narrowed down to an issue with Trueplay on certain iPhone models. I started a thread here about it, with a video link for a deeper explanation.  

TL:DR: As of Jan 2020 the Arc is a great HT purchase IF you are also pairing it with  surrounds and a sub.

I was once a user who wanted to return my Arc that I preorded, as of now I am  90% happy with my Sonos purchase.  (still burned by no DTS, yes I am one of those guys).

What is the issue if you do not bond it with surrounds when listening to stereo music? This should not be a problem should it? It still ridiculous that you have to bond a 900 dollar soundbar with sub/rears if you ask me...

What is the issue if you do not bond it with surrounds when listening to stereo music? This should not be a problem should it? It still ridiculous that you have to bond a 900 dollar soundbar with sub/rears if you ask me...

Pairing the Arc with surrounds, and the sub will offload many of those frequencies off the Arc.  It is barely talked about in Sonos’s marketing but the change is pretty huge. A guy named Peter Pee on Youtube shows this change using fancy audio testing equipment to map out the crossover and response changes made.

The Arc by itself is just trying to do too much on its own.  My wife will contest for me, I was an angry new Sonos user when my Arc came in a week before the One Sl’s and Sub. I added the Ones and instantly the difference was crazy. Then the Sub the next day.  I have been a happy camper a few firmware updates after adding the sub. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Pairing the Arc with surrounds, and the sub will offload many of those frequencies off the Arc.  It is barely talked about in Sonos’s marketing but the change is pretty huge. A guy named Peter Pee on Youtube shows this change using fancy audio testing equipment to map out the crossover and response changes made.

The Arc by itself is just trying to do too much on its own.  My wife will contest for me, I was an angry new Sonos user when my Arc came in a week before the One Sl’s and Sub. I added the Ones and instantly the difference was crazy. Then the Sub the next day.  I have been a happy camper a few firmware updates after adding the sub. 

I would expect this from pairing with the sub, but with surrounds? Is that differences mainly in movies? I have a beam, and I have had it coupled with rears, but also without, and obviously the sound field changes a bit, but I can't say that it becomes a whole different sound signature or something....

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Oh and, do you perhaps have the link to this video?

Oh and, do you perhaps have the link to this video?

I have glossed over the videos this morning, maybe he mentioned it in passing, but I am missing it. I know somewhere he mentioned the side firing speakers being re purposed for left and right channels instead of simulating rear surrounds when adding dedicated surrounds.  RTINGS did this in their review that I will link below. Though nothing detailed like I wish to provide you.  Look about halfway down the review in the surrounds section.

https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/reviews/sonos/arc-with-sub-one-sl-speakers

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnUOo0U4wI2b9R4ghXmKblw/videos

You can test this yourself but downloading the dolby_test_tones_5.1.2 onto a USB. Fast forward to the rear surround tests. Turn off and on the surrounds in the Sonos app while placing your ear near the Arcs side firing speakers.  With surrounds on no sound outputs from the side speakers, then with surrounds off you can hear the Arc being the 5.0.2 bar.   So these speakers help out as right and lefts when surrounds are paired.  Wish I could give you a graph showing how their sound improves the L&R channels on the Arc. It adds its own fullness and would also add a different profile to the left and rights. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

No! Do Not Buy!  I have had the arc 5.1 system for 7 months now and it seems like the sound is getting worse with every “update”. It looks like Sonos really screwed us with this one. Its a terrible system at this point it hurts my ears to listen too. I often just use the tv speakers so I can understand what people are saying in movies. huge rip off! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have have the arc 5.1 system for 7 months now and it sounds terrible. No matter how many times i tune it and with every combination of filter on and or off. It is a terrible sound quality system. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Come on Sonos! I have the arc 5.1 system and it is by far the worst 5.1 system I have ever owned. I have reverted to just using my TV speakers as the dialogue is clear. I spent $1700 on this system and I’m way outside the return window. I definitely feel like Sonos RAPED me here. before the arc I had the beam and thought that sounded pretty terrible for the price so like an idiot I upgraded to the arc thinking that throwing more money at the system would solve the problem. It did not. I think that Sonos just makes a terrible sound bar altogether i guess. I have been listening to this thing for seven months and I have never hated watching movies more than when I turn on my TV and have to listen to this POS. If this is something fixable by a software update why the hell hasn’t SONOS fixED this yet? Anyone stating the sound is good or even reasonable for the price is either insane, deaf, or working for SONOS. 

Userlevel 7

@Jimothy My Arc/Sub/Play:1s setup sounds fantastic to my ears, and the majority of users love their Arc. Rather than complaining and hoping for a “fix” for something that isn’t broken, you should sell your system and find something you can enjoy. No one is forcing you to own a Sonos Arc. Cut your losses and move on. Life is too short to be angry over a speaker.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Jimothy My Arc/Sub/Play:1s setup sounds fantastic to my ears, and the majority of users love their Arc. Rather than complaining and hoping for a “fix” for something that isn’t broken, you should sell your system and find something you can enjoy. No one is forcing you to own a Sonos Arc. Cut your losses and move on. Life is too short to be angry over a speaker.

I paid $1700 and it does not perform as advertised or even reasonably for the price.  I have every right to be upset and complain. I cannot return it and even if I sell it I can’t get anywhere near the money back for it. People settling for a sub par system For such a high price such as the arc Are the reason this crap happens. This is a subpar system at best I have heard $200 LG and Samsung sound bar sound better than this thing. Like I stated I have resorted to using my TV speakers which deliver clearer dialogue. How about you stop putting out false information like this system sounds good... There are people that read these comments and are going to go out and buy the thing like I did. Do you work for sonos? Also this is the correct forum in which one would voice their grievances with the product. 

Userlevel 7

@Jimothy Yes, there are people who will read these comments and go purchase the Arc and thoroughly enjoy the way it sounds like myself and many many others. Your opinion about the Arc is an exception not the rule.

The solution to your problem is really simple. Sell your Sonos Arc and find a speaker system that you can actually enjoy. The Sonos Arc is in very high demand so you won’t have any problems selling it for a good price. I hope you kept the box.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Jimothy Yes, there are people who will read these comments and go purchase the Arc and thoroughly enjoy the way it sounds like myself and many many others. Your opinion about the Arc is an exception not the rule.

The solution to your problem is really simple. Sell your Sonos Arc and find a speaker system that you can actually enjoy. The Sonos Arc is in very high demand so you won’t have any problems selling it for a good price. I hope you kept the box.

Yes I saved the box. But I prefer to work with what I got before abandoning ship. If there is a forum such as this where I can voice grievances in hopes of getting them fixed I will go down that route first which is what I’m doing. Thank you for your input.

Come on Sonos! I have the arc 5.1 system and it is by far the worst 5.1 system I have ever owned. I have reverted to just using my TV speakers as the dialogue is clear. I spent $1700 on this system and I’m way outside the return window. I definitely feel like Sonos RAPED me here. before the arc I had the beam and thought that sounded pretty terrible for the price so like an idiot I upgraded to the arc thinking that throwing more money at the system would solve the problem. It did not. I think that Sonos just makes a terrible sound bar altogether i guess. I have been listening to this thing for seven months and I have never hated watching movies more than when I turn on my TV and have to listen to this POS. If this is something fixable by a software update why the hell hasn’t SONOS fixED this yet? Anyone stating the sound is good or even reasonable for the price is either insane, deaf, or working for SONOS. 

i do agree with you, i have a  LG C8 and the dialog is a lot clearer on my tv speakers.. i feel the arc is lacking of mid and accuracy. Maybe adding a sub will fix this? Or maybe it is a trueplay problem i don’t know .. i had the jbl 9.1 at the same time and the dialog was clearer and a lot warmer, more enjoyable. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

i do agree with you, i have a  LG C8 and the dialog is a lot clearer on my tv speakers.. i feel the arc is lacking of mid and accuracy. Maybe adding a sub will fix this? Or maybe it is a trueplay problem i don’t know .. i had the jbl 9.1 at the same time and the dialog was clearer and a lot warmer, more enjoyable. 

The sub has zero affect on the terrible sound quality. It sounds just as bad just with more bass.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

The Sonos ARC sounds terrible !! I’m following this topic for 4 months. No answer from Sonos after all. 

I’m wondering if Sonos is actually reading this topic..

Userlevel 7

@rick.f Just curious… if you have a soundbar that you think has sounded “terrible” for four months, why are you still using the same soundbar?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Because Sonos has also admitted that this problem has been recognised by themselves.

6 Months ago.

@Krishma M 

“Hi folks! Just to let you know that we have received the reports and working on resolving this. We’ll surely let you know once the fix has been done. Appreciate all your patience. If you any other concerns, please let us know. Thanks!” 

all the time I was hoping that this was indeed resolved by an update. I have multiple Sonos products. So still had confidence that it would be fixed….

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Ryan S @Jean C. @Scott - Sonos @

Userlevel 2

I am not sure if you have tried this or not. I had dialog issues too. I ran trueplay using my iPhone 6. When running trueplay I found that if you stay closer to your listening position it will boose the dialog. If you get too close to the soundbar it will limit the center channel. I would not recommend running trueplay on an iPad because of the dual microphone. Also make sure that you are getting dolby digital 5.1, or any dolby format other than 2.0 or pcm. You can check this by going into settings and then about system. It will show you what format is being provided by the Arc. I have the Arc and after following these steps I don't have any problems now. It sounds incredible. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@rick.f in case you were unaware Ryan S has 'retired' from here, along with others from Sonos support I believe.

@Krishma M

“Hi folks! Just to let you know that we have received the reports and working on resolving this. We’ll surely let you know once the fix has been done. Appreciate all your patience. If you any other concerns, please let us know. Thanks!” 

So, what is status of this after 4 months and calling Sonos Support, indication is not on list of any problems known?

Thank you.