Answered

Sonos Arc - Metallic Sound

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hi All.

It’s a relief that Sonos has identified the bug that’s causing the bass distortion in Sonos Arc. Thank you @Ryan S for working with the Sonos Communty to identify the problem quickly.

Having said this, I believe that Sonos still needs more work to make the Arc sound as it was advertised. Currently, multiple people on Reddit including myself are reporting the highs being too high which sort of feels “harsh”. This improve the speech clarity and brings out details in the movies, but the warmth in speech is lost because the voices sound thin and metallic (for eg. actors I know having heavy voices don’t sound heavy). I was expecting the mid-range to be a lot better considering the Arc has 8 woofers. 

I have tried TruPlaying twice without success (Turning TruPlay off produces muffled sound). Adjusting the treble also did not help much. Loudness turned on and off does not make a big difference either. May be, this is how the Arc is tuned?!

Anyone else feels that Arc is over-emphasizing the highs with compromised mids?

icon

Best answer by Scott - Sonos 3 July 2020, 00:56

View original

1017 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@Jean C. @Scott - Sonos 

Any updates on this issue? Is it being looked into by technical.

thank you

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Diagnostic 2126649200

Was watching Netflix via TV

Switched to SkyQ via HDMI and very harsh treble and  lots of ssssssss ssss

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I agree with trueplay off it sounds better just need some work with trueplay also didn’t notice difference when comparing different iOS devic

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Trueplay off makes it slightly warmer but it loses focus and dialogues just get lost in some movies so you have to turn the volume up. 

the best sound for me is with trueplay but treble set to -8 or -9.

I have two arcs and one beam. I have had the beam for a bit longer than the arcs. I wouldn’t say the arcs sound harsh but I do feel the tones coming out of the beam are more enjoyable. I have also had the play bar in the past and preferred the tones on that too. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Trueplay off makes it slightly warmer but it loses focus and dialogues just get lost in some movies so you have to turn the volume up. 

the best sound for me is with trueplay but treble set to -8 or -9.

I have also tried with true play on and the treble on -8. This is also a “good” setting. Although lots of detail is lost. But at least it’s not piercing bright....

have to set to treble to -8 or even more, proves again there is a problem with the Arc. 

Sonos please reply here if you’re working on a fix!!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’d also like to know if they are working on a fix.

If I haven’t heard anything in the next couple of weeks I am returning my arc. I have a 100 day return but my sound is so bad I couldn’t tolerate it that long…. I’ve already started to switch to standard tv sound when not watching movies or listening to music. 

The silence from sonos suggests it’s just bad hardware they can’t fix. I’ve emailed support and they didn’t help. Add to that the google assistant via Sonos is practically useless and I’m quickly losing faith in sonos!! 

A reminder for anyone who has been ignoring the following up to now…

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-metallic-sound-6843110?postid=16450184#post16450184

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks I hadn’t seen that. Hopefully they come up with something in the next couple of weeks.

I won’t wait much longer tho, I remembered they promised the google assistant would be launched when the sonos one came out and ended up taking months/years. For me, they shouldn’t be releasing and sending out products until they are ready.

Thanks I hadn’t seen that. Hopefully they come up with something in the next couple of weeks.

And you still haven’t read it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

And you still haven’t read it.

Yes I have read it and fully understand. 

The problem is that we are end consumers not beta testers. What I purchased, so far, is a very average, but very expensive, soundbar… are you suggesting I should be happy to wait through various software updates for them to get it right ???

Has Sonos at least acknowledged this issue? I’m on the fence between Sonos Arc/Sub or LG Sn10yg. I’m not in a big rush so I’m willing to wait a month since its on back order anyway. Otherwise Ill get the LG and save some coin.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

A reminder for anyone who has been ignoring the following up to now…

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-metallic-sound-6843110?postid=16450184#post16450184

Is just filled in the form, please everyone fill in this form, it might help bringing this problem higher on the priority-list

Today I got he information that my order has been cancelled. I called the company and I asked why they won’t deliver my Sonos Arc and they just told there has been problems to get any more of them. They will continue to sell all other Sonos products but at this point they decided to remove Arc from all their local shops and entire web shop.  (I suppose they are the biggest dealer over here). 

Hopefully this is not a recall :-(

I will continue with my Beam and I will continue to read this support forum because I will get the Arc when they have got things fixed!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hmm...thats worrying….

Come on Sonos! please give us some information of this problem, otherwise all kinds of negative stories/theories will flood the internet!!!

Potentially leading to Sonos brand damage….

If there is a problem, just admit it...that’s called damage control….(ignoring it hoping it will blow over is an illusion)

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hmm...thats worrying….

Come on Sonos! please give us some information of this problem, otherwise all kinds of negative stories/theories will flood the internet!!!

Potentially leading to Sonos brand damage….

If there is a problem, just admit it...that’s called damage control….(ignoring it hoping it will blow over is an illusion)

Agree all seems bit to quiet on here from the Sonos end, really hoping a software fix can sort these issues out.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Today I got he information that my order has been cancelled. I called the company and I asked why they won’t deliver my Sonos Arc and they just told there has been problems to get any more of them. They will continue to sell all other Sonos products but at this point they decided to remove Arc from all their local shops and entire web shop.  (I suppose they are the biggest dealer over here). 

I will continue with my Beam and I will continue to read this support forum because I will get the Arc when they have got things fixed!

Strange.  I can see that the Arc is still listed on the Sonos’ site (https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/arc.html). Backordered and shipping on August 14.Sub is backordered and shipping on August 21 (https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/sub.html).

Badge

I’m getting migraines every single night since moving to the Arc. Sonos please provide an update, I really love the Arc but if this cannot be fixed, I need to return my Arc/ Sub/ 2x ones purchase because it’s just unbearable. 

the dialogue sound way too high and tingy and my ears are hurting after 30-45 minutes alone. Every night I’ve gone to bed with sore ears and a headache since moving to the arc soul based on how the dialogue sounds. Tuneplayed, eq treble -8 and all. 

Strange.  I can see that the Arc is still listed on the Sonos’ site (https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/arc.html). Backordered and shipping on August 14.Sub is backordered and shipping on August 21 (https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/sub.html).

The order was from a big dealer, not directly from Sonos. Probably they will start to sell them  as soon as they can get them. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Just been on technical chat in regards to this issue, they just offered to warranty replace mine. declined and said would rather wait for an update for now. Will give it 3 weeks to see if Sonos come up with anything, then think about warranty replacing.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

So I spoke to Sonos support who basically said the diagnostic does not show any issue and when I am home I can record a video for them. Not sure what my iPhone microphone will offer them that my ears have not already told them. 

I asked if they can run my serial number to see if they have any known issues with the batch. They told me they have no know issues with the Arc so running the serial would not do anything. So that threw me though a loop and I queried without much luck. 

Bit irritated! 

Userlevel 2
Badge

So I spoke to Sonos support who basically said the diagnostic does not show any issue and when I am home I can record a video for them. Not sure what my iPhone microphone will offer them that my ears have not already told them. 

I asked if they can run my serial number to see if they have any known issues with the batch. They told me they have no know issues with the Arc so running the serial would not do anything. So that threw me though a loop and I queried without much luck. 

Bit irritated! 

I am guessing that is because the Arc is likely tuned as Sonos believes it should be. This isn’t like the bass issue - the Arc was purposefully tuned this way. They don’t view anything wrong with it. My guess is people are just going to have to return their devices if they don’t like the sound (which I plan to do).

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I asked Sonos support whether I should consider an exchange (thinking maybe I have a faulty unit), but they advised I just get a refund. Like people have said I think this is just how the arc was designed and intended to be. Not sure they can/will ‘fix’ it. Either way, it also gives me a headache so don't think I can put up with it for much longer. Bit gutted really. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I asked Sonos support whether I should consider an exchange (thinking maybe I have a faulty unit), but they advised I just get a refund. Like people have said I think this is just how the arc was designed and intended to be. Not sure they can/will ‘fix’ it. Either way, it also gives me a headache so don't think I can put up with it for much longer. Bit gutted really. 

I am very hopeful you are wrong, and that the sound signature will be updated and fixed. To my ears, the Arc is just too harsh, with ‘S’ sounds too pronounced. Right now, I prefer to have faith. Let’s keep this thread active to make sure it gets the proper attention. Arc should have enough hardware to sound much better.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Anyone do any AB testing with sources? I just went back and forth between my iPhone8s and MacBook Pro, both via Airplay2 and get totally different sound profiles, specifically on the high end. The playback from my MacBook Pro was overly bright and exaggerated on the high end.