Answered

Sonos Arc - Metallic Sound

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hi All.

It’s a relief that Sonos has identified the bug that’s causing the bass distortion in Sonos Arc. Thank you @Ryan S for working with the Sonos Communty to identify the problem quickly.

Having said this, I believe that Sonos still needs more work to make the Arc sound as it was advertised. Currently, multiple people on Reddit including myself are reporting the highs being too high which sort of feels “harsh”. This improve the speech clarity and brings out details in the movies, but the warmth in speech is lost because the voices sound thin and metallic (for eg. actors I know having heavy voices don’t sound heavy). I was expecting the mid-range to be a lot better considering the Arc has 8 woofers. 

I have tried TruPlaying twice without success (Turning TruPlay off produces muffled sound). Adjusting the treble also did not help much. Loudness turned on and off does not make a big difference either. May be, this is how the Arc is tuned?!

Anyone else feels that Arc is over-emphasizing the highs with compromised mids?

icon

Best answer by Scott - Sonos 3 July 2020, 00:56

View original

1017 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I agree. Mine just sounds off and not what I expected at all - especially after listening to so many other Sonos products over the years. Being that Sonos is reluctant to help with with an RMA at the moment I still have mine. I’m going to wait to see what happens with next week’s update for the bass issue and then make a final decision on a return. 

Oops. I accidentally tagged your answer as the best. don't know how to fix it. @Ryan S

Ohhh. I dunno either! 

I fixed it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The team is very focused on the bass issue right now, but I’ve flagged this with them too. I’ll let you know if there’s any news to share.

Now that the bass issue has been issued a fix, has this moved up in priority? 

Userlevel 1

I’ll be happy if they just a a Center settings, in addition to Bass and Treble. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Still having this problem after the 12.0.1 update, speaker still find my Beam sound better!

Should I cancel my Arc order and still go with my Beam? Can there be some hardware problems that can not be fixed? Waiting for an explanation from Sonos!

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Should I cancel my Arc order and still go with my Beam? Can there be some hardware problems that can not be fixed? Waiting for an explanation from Sonos!

Still waiting for mine and will just leave my BEAM sitting in the living room, so I can group them when listen to the music..

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Sonos…..If you are hearing, I would like to meet the people from your marketing team touting “Arc was carefully tuned with the help of Oscar-winning sound engineers to emphasize the human voice so you never miss a word.

Please give us control over the center channel. We can definitely do better than those sound engineers you worked with.

Today I double checked the deadline to send back my fully new system: arc+sub+2x one sl...more than 2.000 worth in € but not in quality as long as  I hear so poor dialogues being the actors and actresses  Oscar winners or not!!! :rage:

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just want to add my voice here. I upgraded from the Beam to the ARC (with sub + play1 rears).

I felt immediately, and have continued to feel (after waiting for my ears to adjust), that the ARC sounds thin. Midrange just feels empty, with our without trueplay active.

In terms of my preferences and experience - I have owned several home theater systems, some of which were very high end ($10k+). I LIKE very detailed (aka bright, for some) speakers, having often preferred ribbon-based tweeters (Gallo Ref3s most recently). I’ve also owned and preferred very flat headphones, like the Audeze LCD2s.  All that is just to say that I know what a flat frequency response should sound like, and while the Beam may have been overly warm at times, the ARC seems just dead. 

I was actually pretty happy with the beam’s sound overall for the price, but wanted atmos and a bigger soundstage. The ARC definitely delivers on those aspects, and I think the high-end is quite nice and detailed, so I tend to think this can be fixed with better eq. I’m holding off on a return until Sonos has a chance to address these concerns.

While I respect what Trueplay is doing, especially the simplicity of it, I would really like more control to ‘tweak’ it. At the very LEAST add a mid-range slider alongside the bass/treble. Better would be some kind of advanced mode for trueplay that exposes some of what it’s done, and let us move the needle a bit in terms of certain frequencies. 

Edit - I’ve seen reports of using older ios devices for Trueplay, which I will try. I also realized that you can probably ‘fake’ a midrange adjustment by just turning down both bass and treble in equal amounts, so I’m going to play with that too. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I just want to add my voice here. I upgraded from the Beam to the ARC (with sub + play1 rears).

I felt immediately, and have continued to feel (after waiting for my ears to adjust), that the ARC sounds thin. Midrange just feels empty, with our without trueplay active.

In terms of my preferences and experience - I have owned several home theater systems, some of which were very high end ($10k+). I LIKE very detailed (aka bright, for some) speakers, having often preferred ribbon-based tweeters (Gallo Ref3s most recently). I’ve also owned and preferred very flat headphones, like the Audeze LCD2s.  All that is just to say that I know what a flat frequency response should sound like, and while the Beam may have been overly warm at times, the ARC seems just dead. 

I was actually pretty happy with the beam’s sound overall for the price, but wanted atmos and a bigger soundstage. The ARC definitely delivers on those aspects, and I think the high-end is quite nice and detailed, so I tend to think this can be fixed with better eq. I’m holding off on a return until Sonos has a chance to address these concerns.

While I respect what Trueplay is doing, especially the simplicity of it, I would really like more control to ‘tweak’ it. At the very LEAST add a mid-range slider alongside the bass/treble. Better would be some kind of advanced mode for trueplay that exposes some of what it’s done, and let us move the needle a bit in terms of certain frequencies. 

Edit - I’ve seen reports of using older ios devices for Trueplay, which I will try. I also realized that you can probably ‘fake’ a midrange adjustment by just turning down both bass and treble in equal amounts, so I’m going to play with that too. 

100% agree with Ben here.  Simply put, the Arc has no warmth and doesn’t have the rich, full sound I’ve come to love from Sonos.  I understand that everyone has different ears and “good sound” is subjective but with all of the 10/10 reviews I’ve seen before I received my own, expectations were set high.

I have the new Sub 3.0 + Arc set up, applied the new update, and there’s still something missing from the mid range.  Just sounds like a cheap Bluetooth speaker with an amazing sub.  Previously had a Playbase and even that sounded better.

One can’t help but wonder what several other’s have already shared on this forum about their Arc’s sounding amazing.  I WANT MY ARC TO SOUND AMAZING TOO!  The tech reviews, blogs, and this forum make me believe that I have a defective unit but getting through to Sonos support is a nightmare.  Spent 3 hours on the phone yesterday alone.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

A have a q90r Samsung and the ARC, have been watching the James Bond films back to back over lock down. Last night I setup both on the same TV, watched half with the Q90r and half with the ARC.  Me and my partner both agreed the Q90r sounded a lot better, the mid range was so much fuller and the was a sight tin can sound to the ARC. I do hope Sonos fix this.

Badge

100% agree with Ben here.  Simply put, the Arc has no warmth and doesn’t have the rich, full sound I’ve come to love from Sonos.  I understand that everyone has different ears and “good sound” is subjective but with all of the 10/10 reviews I’ve seen before I received my own, expectations were set high.

I have the new Sub 3.0 + Arc set up, applied the new update, and there’s still something missing from the mid range.  Just sounds like a cheap Bluetooth speaker with an amazing sub.  Previously had a Playbase and even that sounded better.

One can’t help but wonder what several other’s have already shared on this forum about their Arc’s sounding amazing.  I WANT MY ARC TO SOUND AMAZING TOO!  The tech reviews, blogs, and this forum make me believe that I have a defective unit but getting through to Sonos support is a nightmare.  Spent 3 hours on the phone yesterday alone.

True! I spent more than 3 hours adjusting everything that can be adjusted:-) Trueplay, EQ, different music, movies scenes, over and over again. In my opinion the Arc just doesn't meet the high standard they sold us on their website, Facebook advertisements etc. ‘Extraordinary sound’….joke! I don't believe all the reviews I read, unless they really had different units. I was looking forward to the Arc for weeks. Very disappointed right now. I made up my mind. Spent 900 euros, not gonna wait any longer for another fix or reply from Sonos. This doen’t match a premium product like they promised, this is just an average soundbar. Unfortunately tomorrow the Arc goes back.  

True! I spent more than 3 hours adjusting everything that can be adjusted:-) Trueplay, EQ, different music, movies scenes, over and over again. In my opinion the Arc just doesn't meet the high standard they sold us on their website, Facebook advertisements etc. ‘Extraordinary sound’….joke! I don't believe all the reviews I read, unless they really had different units. I was looking forward to the Arc for weeks. Very disappointed right now. I made up my mind. Spent 900 euros, not gonna wait any longer for another fix or reply from Sonos. This doen’t match a premium product like they promised, this is just an average soundbar. Unfortunately tomorrow the Arc goes back.  

Can you suggest some movies to check if my Arc also has the issue? I watched Transformers with about 50% volume and did not seem to notice any issues. Not sure if i missed something. Kindly suggest.

I haven’t received my Arc yet. Still use Beam, Sub and a pair of One SL.  I read a lot of differences in Truplay tuning between new and older iOS devices. Decided to do a new Truplay tuning with my older iPad Pro. The sound is now much better (more warm middle and better bass from all speakers) Decided to do a new Truplay with a new iPhone 11 Pro and the sound got cold, metallic and thin. A very big difference. Will be nice to get the Arc to really be able to do a comparison. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I haven’t received my Arc yet. Still use Beam, Sub and a pair of One SL.  I read a lot of differences in Truplay tuning between new and older iOS devices. Decided to do a new Truplay tuning with my older iPad Pro. The sound is now much better (more warm middle and better bass from all speakers) Decided to do a new Truplay with a new iPhone 11 Pro and the sound got cold, metallic and thin. A very big difference. Will be nice to get the Arc to really be able to do a comparison. 

Keep us updated!  I’m considering upgrading to the Arc from the Playbase myself (we actually own a Beam as well but not using it a the moment) but am reluctant to do so with so many reports of issues with the Arc.  Some people say the recent update fixed all of their Arc woes while a bunch of people are still complaining that the Arc sounds worse than their old Beam/Playbar!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Tagging @Jean C. in this thread in hopes for an official response. 100+ replies of customers of a brand new, high end soundbar experiencing a significant issue related to the sound quality, the core purpose of the product. We would really appreciate an update and some correspondence from the company.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Does the true play tuning with an older iPhone actually work, ive got currently got an iPhone XS Max and a newish iPad 2-3 years old. What age iPhone are people using? thanks 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Does the true play tuning with an older iPhone actually work, ive got currently got an iPhone XS Max and a newish iPad 2-3 years old. What age iPhone are people using? thanks 

Yes it does. I used my 2017 iPad Pro for Truplay and it is miles better than XS.

Userlevel 2
Badge

it is amazing that sonos has not even responded to this given how terrible the arc sounds

it is amazing that sonos has not even responded to this given how terrible the arc sounds

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-muddy-bottoming-out-bass-6842379?postid=16447430#post16447430

Userlevel 2
Badge

this is about the bass issue not the terrible sound?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have also been disappointed with the mid range and voice clarity on my Arc. I am new to SONOS and have the Gen 2 Sub and Two One SL’s filling out a 5.1.2 Set up.

I found it the worst when tuned with my Apple iPhone 11. The dialogue on movies sounded like it was playing through a transistor radio. No depth at all.

I have run True Play multiple times on multiple Apple devices. I have also moved my Sub Gen 2 to a few different locations in the room. This morning I tuned it again with our Apple iPad Pro 12.9” and I can say in the short time I have tried it since that I seem to see a little better mid range out of the ARC. I will get a better chance to listen tonight and report back my findings.

The questions apply to the topic of this thread as well. But I acknowledge that raving around for the sake of it is a lot more fun than actually getting the issue solved.

Badge

The questions apply to the topic of this thread as well. But I acknowledge that raving around for the sake of it is a lot more fun than actually getting the issue solved.

Do you work with the Sonos engineering team?  I think they’re probably the ones in the position to do anything about this and that’s if they haven’t been affected by Sonos’s recent layoffs.

Do you work with the Sonos engineering team?  I think they’re probably the ones in the position to do anything about this and that’s if they haven’t been affected by Sonos’s recent layoffs.

They need your assistance on this. So if it’s convenient, do as you are kindly being asked, if it’s inconvenient do it anyway.

Yes it does. I used my 2017 iPad Pro for Truplay and it is miles better than XS.

Yes, I used my kids iPhone 6s and it sounds MUCH better than using my iPhone XS Max.  Horrible midrange voice harshness seems to be fixed.  WTH is going on with this speaker?!