Sonos Arc Launch Failure

• 17 August 2020
  • 5 replies

First off, I am a huge Sonos fan! Been one for as long as they have existed. I was lucky enough to get a Demo model of the new Arc before it launched and was impressed by the upgrades from the previous Playbar. I knew then i wanted to grab one and add it to my growing collection. But at launch, they vanished and ended up on resale sites instead of in the hands of someone like me who actually loves the product and had anticipated a smooth launch that included actually getting one. None set aside for current users, none in stock at retailers and oddly nothing on the Sonos website.

While listening the most recent earnings call, there were some interesting excuses as to why this happened and why the product is unavailable until mid October but no apparent solutions (yes, i am also an investor). This was shocking to me as Sonos usually has much higher standards than the competition. For this launch the blame was everywhere. From covid to manufacturing issues there was a ready excuse. Yet still no Arcs to be seen at anyone’s home who i knew would get one (including mine). 

I just don’t understand why it even launched when the execution was so horrible. There was no planning it seemed, no accountability for the failure and seemingly no solution to getting the job done. It was disappointing to watch this failure and feel it as a Sonos customer. It is even worse from the investor standpoint. Is this the new normal? Should we expect even more problems with future launches? How about software? Do we need to worry that updates will be delayed just like basic manufacturing? 

As a long time Sonos fan, i hate writing anything negative but this launch has been nothing but negative for me and a lot of people i talk to. While i understand you can’t just make things magically appear for your customers, I do wonder if you can make a “list” of some kind to prioritize real people over internet bots that buy your product just to resell to your customers at a higher price. The bots only destroy Sonos goodwill and frustrate actual buyers.They do nothing to help any of us, Sonos or the bottom line. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I doubt it’s much more than the Arc turned out to be a really popular product that a lot of people wanted that had the bad luck of coming out during a historic pandemic that probably affected every aspect of their supply and distribution chain. 

I may have just gotten lucky but I ordered an Arc just a few days before launch from Amazon and got it immediately. The Sub was delayed a bit but not much. And this is my first ever Sonos gear, so if I’m anything to go by it may be expanding the Sonos user base as well. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I walked into my local audio dealer right after launch  and picked up the Arc on the spot. Got One SL’s from Costco and the Gen 3 Sub was in stock at Best Buy. 
Sorry you missed out on your Arc but I would suggest a bit of leg work on your part may have got you what you wanted. Product shortages in the COVID era are everywhere. Especially in electronics because of the manufacturing processes and the size of the factories. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I walked into my local audio dealer right after launch  and picked up the Arc on the spot. Got One SL’s from Costco and the Gen 3 Sub was in stock at Best Buy. 
Sorry you missed out on your Arc but I would suggest a bit of leg work on your part may have got you what you wanted. Product shortages in the COVID era are everywhere. Especially in electronics because of the manufacturing processes and the size of the factories. 

Yeah Op this guy in Calgary got one and some SLs so it's your own fault, don't be lazy get out there and get one like magic.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Yeah Op this guy in Calgary got one and some SLs so it's your own fault, don't be lazy get out there and get one like magic.

Let’s keep it civil and non-sarcastic, please, everyone. There’s a time and place for that…. and it’s called Reddit. 

Many people have gotten Arcs for Sonos directly or through many reselllers.  With shortages, your chances of getting one sooner rather than later is going to depend on the effort you put into finding one.  That’s not to say it’s a customers fault for not hunting for one or that Sonos could have possible done better at making it available.

I agree with @Highfalutintodd that the Sonos shouldn’t be blamed for delays due to COVID-19.  Perhaps you could blame them for not properly anticipating the sales volume, don’t really know.  Sonos also intentional reduced their inventory size in order to reduce costs.  I’m not sure how much of an impact that is.  Sure, that’s Sonos fault, but they do need to run a business and all that.

The situation now where the Arc is back ordered for 2 months, that seems to be mostly a COVID-19.  However, I wonder and completely speculate, if that has to do with the upcoming retail season.  From little I know of manufacturing, products are made in batches  Sonos orders a batch of a particular product for a certain number of units made.  The smaller the batch, the faster it can be made.  Although shipping would be the same.So Sonos could make small batches to meet the immediate demand so that current orders are completed faster.  The would likely mean that Sonos will not have Arcs on store shelves or be able to ship orders quickly when the retail season starts...possibly not in time for Christmas.  Or Sonos could be make a large batch(es) now, which would result in delaying shipping existing orders, but have more supply available during Christmas.

Again, not a manufacturing/marketing expert, but I would think customers would be more patient, not go buy a competitors product, now, then they will be 3 months from now when they have to have it by Dec. 25th.  And even those that are looking now but don’t want a 2 month back order may not buy a different product, but just wait for more reasonable shipping dates.