Answered

Sonos Arc HT, PS4 Pro, Samsung Q90T

• 6 February 2023
  • 7 replies

I currently have a Sonos HT set (Arc, 2x One SLs, Sub (Gen 3) connected to a PS4 Pro and a Samsung Q90T. So it’s PS4 Pro > Q90T > Sonos Arc HT. I borrowed some Blu-ray DVDs from a local library and noticed that they only have Dolby DTS-HD Master Audio tracks in English. However, I can only get Stereo PCM when playing the movies via the Arc. 

I tried various combinations via the PS4 Pro “Sound and Screen” menu > Audio Output Settings > Audio Format (Priority) - (Linear PCM or Bitstream (Dolby or DTS)), the Pro’s Blu-ray DVD settings > Audio Format (Linear PCM or Bitstream (Direct)), as well as the Q90T’s Sound > Expert settings - HDMI-eARC mode (Off or Auto) and Digital Output Audio Format (PCM, Auto, Pass-Through) and I can’t get “surround” sound only Stereo 2.0. I researched (lurked) on these forums as well as Reddit for possible solutions, but nothing worked with the various settings I mentioned.

Only thing that comes up is possibly getting an audio extractor, but I’m less inclined to purchase one since I only borrow DVDs and Blu-rays from the library and don’t purchase them anymore.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 7 February 2023, 20:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

TV settings:

HDMI-eARC Mode: Auto

Digital Output Audio Format: Pass-Through

PS4 settings for DTS-encoded discs:

Audio Format (Priority) - Linear PCM

And while the Blu-ray is playing...

• Press the "Options" button on the PS4 controller
  • Select "Settings"
  • Set Audio Format to “Linear PCM”

PS4 settings for Dolby-encoded discs:

Audio Format (Priority) - Bitstream (Dolby)

And while the Blu-ray is playing...

• Press the "Options" button on the PS4 controller
  • Select "Settings"
  • Set Audio Format to “Bitstream (Direct)”

Hi @GuitarSuperstar,

I followed your instructions for the TV and PS4 settings for Dolby DTS-encoded discs, but sadly I still get Stereo PCM being reported in the Sonos app.

Userlevel 7

Hi @GuitarSuperstar,

I followed your instructions for the TV and PS4 settings for Dolby DTS-encoded discs, but sadly I still get Stereo PCM being reported in the Sonos app.

What specific Blu-ray discs or DVDs are you testing?

Hi @GuitarSuperstar,

Currently, Spider Man: Far From Home, Spider Man: No Way Home, and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

Hi @GuitarSuperstar,

Currently, Spider Man: Far From Home, Spider Man: No Way Home, and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

P.S. I tried posting this response a few minutes ago, but got a message that it was flagged and needed to be viewed by a moderator before being posted. That’s a bit odd.

Userlevel 7

Update:

OP’s TV doesn’t support LPCM or DTS pass through. This is why they are only getting Stereo PCM audio from DTS-encoded discs. But with the Dolby settings above, OP is able to get Dolby 5.1 audio to play from Blu-rays with their setup.

@GuitarSuperstar Thanks for the assistance. Upon further investigation, it would seem that many of the premium TV models available in the US from Samsung and LG don’t allow DTS passthrough. Sony does, but you’ll have to the “$ony tax” that’s included for one of their models.