Sonos Arc & DTS via PCM on Panasonic UB9000....

Show first post

87 replies

Userlevel 7

If you just have the Panasonic UHD player and no other external media devices, all you need is the Arcana and some good HDMI cables. HDFury recommends Cable Matters, KabelDirekt or Zeskit cables. I am using these KabelDirekt cables:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CMF1VJZ/

If you have more than one external media device, you need an HDMI switch. I am using a 3-port ROOFULL HDMI switch. It is no longer available, but here’s a 5-port switch:

https://www.amazon.com/ROOFULL-Premium-Switch-Support-Auto-Switch/dp/B083NWKPXW

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

If you just have the Panasonic UHD player and no other external media devices, all you need is the Arcana and some good HDMI cables. HDFury recommends Cable Matters, KabelDirekt or Zeskit cables. I am using these KabelDirekt cables:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CMF1VJZ/

If you have more than one external media device, you need an HDMI switch. I am using a 3-port ROOFULL HDMI switch. It is no longer available, but here’s a 5-port switch:

https://www.amazon.com/ROOFULL-Premium-Switch-Support-Auto-Switch/dp/B083NWKPXW

My setup is Sky Q in HDMI 1, the Panasonic UHD player in HDMI 2 & the Sonos Arc in HDMI 3 eARC. Would I still need a HDMI switch, or would the Arcana & cables be sufficient?

Userlevel 7

If you are currently getting the audio you want out of the Sky Q, then all you need is the Arcana and cables. The Sky Q will remain connected to HDMI 1, the Arcana will be connected to HDMI 3, and the Arc and Panasonic will be connected directly to the Arcana.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

If you are currently getting the audio you want out of the Sky Q, then all you need is the Arcana and cables. The Sky Q will remain connected to HDMI 1, the Arcana will be connected to HDMI 3, and the Arc and Panasonic will be connected directly to the Arcana.

Thanks buddy, you have been a great help….

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Just purchased one, with a few more HDMI cables….

Just to be clear, do I plug the HDMI VIDEO OUT into the Arcana or the HDMI AUDIO OUT?

Userlevel 7

Just to be clear, do I plug the HDMI VIDEO OUT into the Arcana or the HDMI AUDIO OUT?

Panasonic HDMI VIDEO OUT to Arcana HDMI IN

Sonos Arc to Arcana eARC OUT

TV HDMI 3 eARC to Arcana HDMI OUT

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Panasonic HDMI VIDEO OUT to Arcana HDMI IN

Sonos Arc to Arcana eARC OUT

TV HDMI 3 eARC to Arcana HDMI OUT

As always, thanks buddy….

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I have been experiencing the odd sound dropout on the Arc & from looking around this is a known issue with the Arc…. I have read that the Arcana solves this issue too, is this correct?

Userlevel 7

Have you always experienced the audio dropouts with the Arc or did it just start happening recently? Does it happen from all sources?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Have you always experienced the audio dropouts with the Arc or did it just start happening recently? Does it happen from all sources?

My Daughter noticed it first & I struggled to hear it, but it was quite prevalent in a movie I watched on Netflix….

I sent a diagnostic to Sonos & they said there was an error on Sonos Arc connection between TV and Arc?

Ive checked all the cables & all seems fine, plus all the cables are brand new?

Userlevel 7

Samsung TVs are known to have issues with the Arc. There are a few threads of other Samsung users with similar problems. I don’t know if there is a solution, and I don’t think the Arcana will fix it since it seems to be more of a Samsung problem.

All I can say is be sure your TV’s firmware is up to date.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Samsung TVs are known to have issues with the Arc. There are a few threads of other Samsung users with similar problems. I don’t know if there is a solution, and I don’t think the Arcana will fix it since it seems to be more of a Samsung problem.

All I can say is be sure your TV’s firmware is up to date.

Ok, thanks again buddy….

I’ll keep my eye on it & contact Samsung again….👍

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I have been on a chat with HD Fury in regards to the setup with the Arcana & they seemed to insinuate that I will need a HDMI switcher….

I’m not sure if you would know this & apologies if I word this incorrectly, but currently Sky Q is playing all Dolby content perfectly, so if I connect my gear as you have kindly shown me, (Panasonic HDMI VIDEO OUT to Arcana HDMI IN, Sonos Arc to Arcana eARC OUT, TV HDMI 3 eARC to Arcana HDMI OUT)

what sound would the Sky Q box output, when a Dolby Atmos soundtrack is playing on a movie/TV program?

Userlevel 7

If the Sky Q box is currently playing the audio you want, you can just leave the Sky Q as it is and just connect the Panasonic UHD player directly to the Arcana. If you want to connect both the Sky Q and Panasonic to the Arcana, you need an HDMI switch.

Do the people on the HDFury boards know that your TV is equipped with eARC?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

If the Sky Q box is currently playing the audio you want, you can just leave the Sky Q as it is and just connect the Panasonic UHD player directly to the Arcana. If you want to connect both the Sky Q and Panasonic to the Arcana, you need an HDMI switch.

Do the people on the HDFury boards know that your TV is equipped with eARC?

That is what I thought.?

Sky Q is playing any Atmos film, in Atmos & all other films/TV shows in Dolby Digital….

I told them that my TV is eARC, but they simply said that either Atmos will come through as normal, or no sound will come through??

Userlevel 7

When does your Arcana arrive?

I would keep the Sky Q connected to the TV and connect the Panasonic to the Arcana and test it. If the people on the HDFury boards are correct (I don’t think they are) and the Sky Q box doesn’t work, you can add an HDMI switch.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

When does your Arcana arrive?

I would keep the Sky Q connected to the TV and connect the Panasonic to the Arcana and test it. If the people on the HDFury boards are correct (I don’t think they are) and the Sky Q box doesn’t work, you can add an HDMI switch.

Hopefully it will be here tomorrow?

I hope it works as you discussed, as that would be ideal for me & my setup….🤞

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Received the Arcana & setup was quite simple….

It works a treat now with my Panasonic UHD player & multi channel sound is playing through the Arc when playing  DTS disc….👍👍

One small issue is that previously I could turn on the Sky Q & the TV would turn on automatically, now I have to turn the TV on first, then the Sky Q box, plus there is a small delay of sound, but I assume that is everything syncing via the Arcana??

I haven’t really looked or messed around with the settings, but I assume that this can be sorted via the settings menu?.

Userlevel 7

I’m glad the Arcana is working with your Panasonic player. Does the Sky Q still play Dolby Atmos audio?

Try unplugging the Sky Q, TV, Arc, and Arcana from power for about a minute to see if it fixes your issues. Are you using the new HDMI cables for all the connections?

I would also post the question on HDFury’s Discord page and see if they can help. There might be a setting on the Arcana that can be adjusted to fix the audio delay.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I’m glad the Arcana is working with your Panasonic player. Does the Sky Q still play Dolby Atmos audio?

Try unplugging the Sky Q, TV, Arc, and Arcana from power for about a minute to see if it fixes your issues. Are you using the new HDMI cables for all the connections?

I would also post the question on HDFury’s Discord page and see if they can help. There might be a setting on the Arcana that can be adjusted to fix the audio delay.

Sky Q is still playing Dolby Atmos fine, as you said it would….👍

I unplugged everything & it’s still a bit flaky. I am using all brand new cables, so it shouldn’t be that?

Ill send the guy a message to see if there are some tweaks I can make….

The other thing I have noticed is that during an Ad break, the volume goes very high, where as the broadcast/programme is the ideal sound level….😩

Userlevel 7

You can turn on Night Sound (moon icon) in the Sonos app. I keep it on with normal TV viewing and turn it off when watching movies or listening to music. This setting lowers the dynamic range on the Arc so everything plays at about the same volume, including loud commercials.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

You can turn on Night Sound (moon icon) in the Sonos app. I keep it on with normal TV viewing and turn it off when watching movies or listening to music. This setting lowers the dynamic range on the Arc so everything plays at about the same volume, including loud commercials.

I’ll give that a try….

Ive emailed HDFury with my queries to see if they have any answers….

👍

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I spoke with HD Fury again & they have said that a new update will sort out some of my issues.

They also told me to swap my HDMI cable that connects from the Arc to the Arcana, as my current cable is too high. They have advised me to use the Sonos supplied one.

I’m going to sort this out tonight & update the Arcana, hopefully most of the issues will be ironed out….

:fingers_crossed:

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Updated the Arcana & changed the cables around, yet I still get the odd sound drop when watching Netflix via the Sky Q app….?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi there.

I was wondering if you would be able to help me (some more :grin: )

I have been in contact with HD Fury in regards to the sudden dropping of sound while watching either Sky Q or Netflix.

I had to send in photos of the display, so they could see what is causing the issue.

They have got back to me today & advised me that my HDMI cables cannot handle the bandwidth.

They have advised me to purchase this brand of cables.  Cables 

Forgive me for being naive, but these cables are quite cheap to the ones I have always used & I’m worried that I won’t receive the full audio/visual experience with my setup using these cables?

Can you explain as to why my current (decent spec) cables cannot handle the bandwidth??

Thanks.