Question

sonos arc dolby digital plus support on 2016 LG tv

• 14 August 2020
  • 3 replies

I’m have been trying To get Dolby digital plus to work on my Sonos arc with no luck so far. My tv supports it and I have had it working through the native movie player on my tv and through my nvidia shield 2015 and 2017 versions. On occasion sound will play and it’s completely out of sink. But in the about my Sonos system section of the S2 app it will only show Dolby Digital 5.1 or I just wont get any sound. Im still not sure if it’s the arc which is the problem or my TV. Normal Dolby Digital streams from my PlayStation and Xbox work perfectly in Dolby Digital. But DD+ has been a disaster so far. Any advice would be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @skism01.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining your concern about getting Dolby Digital Plus (DD+), let me help and try to figure this out.

First,  Dolby Atmos can do two types of surround sound signals: 

• Dolby TrueHD

• Dolby Digital Plus (DD+)

Kindly verify what type of connection is in use from Sonos Arc to your TV, is it via HDMI/ARC or eARC?

We need to know if the TV is passing a supported audio format on to Sonos? Sonos speaker like Arc can only play what is handed to it.

Some TVs do not support Dolby Atmos audio even if the source device does, so the TV will re-encode the audio to Dolby Digital 5.1.

I suggest checking our support article that outlines the main factors to determine if your Sonos Arc can play Dolby Atmos audio:

• HDMI ARC and HDMI eARC

• Streaming services

• Source devices

To sum it up, for Dolby Atmos to work, every ingredient in your home theater setup has to support Atmos.

Let me know if it helps, and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Thanks for the reply. I’m not expecting to get full fat Atmos as my TV doesn’t support it. So True HD is out of question. I don’t have eArc either. So I know I’m limited to what I can get through my Sonos arc. So anyway my LG TV is linked so my Sonos arc. Through standard arc. My nvidia shield is linked to my TV via hdmi. Both my tv and nvidia shield support DD+ plus but if it works it’s out of sync. Or simply no sound 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @skism01.

Thanks for your response and for the additional details.

You may check the support website under this article, Audio and Video are out of sync, it contains the steps for suggested common fixes.

I’ve found this thread that is relevant to your concern, it might be a great help as well, here is the link:

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/if-you-re-experiencing-audio-delay-issues-read-this-6793458

Hopefully, that solves it but if not, please submit a new diagnostic report, preferably when the issue is happening, so I can see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, we are always here to help.