Question

Sonos Arc 5.1.2: wirless to wired set up question/issue

• 27 July 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi there. Complete Sonos newbie and hoping someone can help…

I installed my new set up over the weekend, comprising Sonos Arc + sub (gen3) + 2x One SLs as surrounds. Initially, I had all four components set up wirelessly over my home network and everything working great.

I then did some reading over the weekend about SonosNet (tbh, wasn’t even aware of it ;). The Arc and Sub are both within easy reach of a gigabit switch so these are now connected via ethernet. Under ‘About my system’ the Arc and Sub both show WM:0. I also disabled Wi-Fi for both and noticed that SonosNet channel was now enabled under Network (had auto-selected channel 6).

OK, now I’m getting to it…

My expectation was that the two One SLs (surrounds) would now be connected wirelessly by SonosNet rather than via my home network. I checked under About my system, and they both showed as WM:1 (I was also able to confirm that they were still wierlessly connected to my router).

I unplugged the two One SLs overnight but they still show as WM:1 this morning. I should say that, this issue aside, the system is working perfectly.

So, I think I now have two options:

1. Let sleeping dogs lie as the system’s working. My question here: is there any tangible benefit to having the surrounds connected by SonosNet?
  2. Remove the two ONE SLs surrounds from my system and reinstall from scratch, as presumably this will allow me to add the two surrounds through SonosNet (rather than by home Wi-Fi)?

A final question, in reading about SonosNet, I’m aware that there are three possible states:

1. WM:0 Wired (as my Arc and Sub currently show)
  2. WM:1 (as my two One SL surrounds currently show) 
  3. WM:2  described as ‘bonded as a surround speaker or Sub to a Sonos home theater product in a wireless setup’.

So, in addition to my issue above, I’m also wondering why my two One SLs aren’e showing as WM:2?!

If anyone can help with this, I’d be really grateful. I’d like to get the system right then forget all about it (and enjoy it - it sounds AWESOME :) Also apologies for the very long and rambling post - I’m sure I could have been much more succinct. ATB.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I just switched my setup from wireless to wired. I also have ARC, Sub Gen3 and One SL’s. all I did was plug the Ethernet cable into the ARC and waited a few seconds as it dropped everything out of the app for a minute or two. Then I rechecked and everything was back and set to WM0. When I checked Network in settings it indicated I was on Sonosnet Channel 6. I then just deleted the Wi-Fi network in the app. All is working as designed after the change over to a wired connection. 

Userlevel 1

Interesting. Thanks. Out ofyof interest, could you let me know the WM code for your surrounds under About my System?

I just tried removing the surrounds and re-adding them, and they're still showing as WM:1 (wireless connection)! Gaaah

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I have a Beam connected via Ethernet.  And two One’s both wireless, set up as Surround L/R.

Here’s my info from the app.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for that. I think tomorrow I'm going to connect the two surrounds via ethernet, and then remove my WiFi credentials entirely (won't let me do that ATM). I'll then disconnect the ethernet cables and see if they're picked up by sonosnet.

@jonnym75  You really only should have one of your devices wired to the router directly to create Sonosnet not two.  Using two puts you in ‘mixed mode’ which can be problematic as I understand it.  And really, you should not connect the Sub as it will connect it is bonded to the Arc and gets it’s audio from there.  I don’t think this is really a problem though, just best practice.

The reason your SLs aren’t on Sonosnet is because you turned off WiFi on your wired speakers.  The WiFi switch is designed to turn off all wireless communications, including Sonosnet.  The act of wiring to the device to the router sets it up to no longer use the WiFi settings and network through Sonosnet.  The reason the WiFi switch exists is for setup where the user is wiring everything essentially, or a particular device is in a location where wireless is poor, and it’s inclusion in Sonosnet isn’t helpful.