Answered

Sonos Amp + Third Party Sub w/ One SL Rears

• 16 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Currently have my TV running into a Sonos Amp, running a 2.1 setup with a third party subwoofer.

Just ordered a pair of One SLs to act as rear speakers, but have since read that this would cause the subwoofer output to be disabled - although the information seems unclear, as a lot of people with this issue seem to be using the amp itself to power generic rears directly along with something like a Beam up front (the argument being that in this setup, the amp isn’t getting sent the sub signal, which is fair).

However in my case, the Sonos Amp would be getting directly fed a full range HDMI signal, and passing the rear signal on to the Ones. I can’t see any reason why it would need to disable the sub output in this scenario.

So to clear up:

If I have my TV running into a Sonos Amp, which is wired up to a pair of bookshelf speakers, and a third party subwoofer on the sub out, will the subwoofer output be disabled if I add a pair of Sonos Ones to act as rear speakers?

icon

Best answer by benhodgson 17 December 2020, 23:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

For the benefit of anyone who comes across this, I answered my own question when the One SLs arrived; yes the sub output will still work fine if the Amp is the front channel. It’s only if it’s powering rear speakers that the sub output is disabled.

Yep, Amp will only disable Line-in and Sub out capability when setting up as surrounds.

Badge

So, basically if you have TV to Amp via HDMI, Amp to front channels via cable, Amp to wired sub via cable and wireless rear channels, it works, right?

If you had the Amp connected to a Bar wirelessly and powering wired rears, the sub wouldn’t work.

By the way? How do you like it?

I currently have a Beam + 2 rear Ones and I’m very much torn between investing on an Amp + wired speakers or Arc and Sub.