Sonos AMP Surround setup with Projector

• 6 November 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2

I have a new living room where I have promised my wife that we will not have a TV…. she said nothing about a hidden projector and screen…. I have some speakers and Sonos components laying around that I can use, and I was wondering will this work to set up a 4.1 Surround system?  (Thanks ChatGPT for the Diagram 🤓)

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Does the projector do HDMI-ARC? The Amp needs it to work.

The graphic suggests it’s using the optical to HDMI ARC adapter, so it should work fine for Dolby Digital signals, just not Atmos signals. 

The graphic suggests it’s using the optical to HDMI ARC adapter, so it should work fine for Dolby Digital signals, just not Atmos signals. 

The Amp can’t play Atmos, even over HDMI-ARC.

Agreed, but I was trying to be simple, and point out Atmos can’t be carried over optical due to bandwidth issues. 

But you’re correct, and I was not as clear as I should have been. 

Userlevel 2

Thanks for great answers. I fully understand that this is not a perfect surround setup. How will the combination the AMP driving the front channels combined with wireless Sonos One Gen 1 back speakers work?

Yes. 

Hi @mortica - i was wondering if you got this set up working for you. From what I saw elsewhere in this forum it seems as it 2 Sonos Amps would be needed to run a 4.1 set up (with 4 ceiling speakers + 1 sub).