Solving the 5.1, DTS issues with the Playbar

This thread is specifically for those who are trying to understand the Playbars 5.1 and DTS issues.

As most of you know the Playbar does not convert DTS signal. It also will only convert 2.0 to SIMULATED PCM 5.1 signal. If you can live with the simulated signal, then you are ahead of the game. IF you want PURE unadulterated 5.1 from your DirecTV or Cable, you WILL most likely have to buy a switch like this one. http://www.monoprice.com/products/7974
Or a Bluray converter like this one.
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/

MOST tvs will not convert true 5.1. There are some on this thread that say they do, but most dont. I found this out the hard way by buying one of Samsungs highest end tv's, only to find out that 2.0 is all im ever gunna get.
A $75 switch is a bargain IMO to have such sound to the Playbar the way it is intended. IF you want 1080p up convert video and and 5.1 audio, then a simular Bluray like the Oppo is for you.

Concerning movies that are only on DTS:
Oppo can convert the DTS signal to PCM 5.1 as well. I do not know about the Switch, because I do not have one.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

205 replies

Userlevel 2
Is that correct? I asked in a different thread and was told that it only does the conversion on the optical output. If it does convert on HDMI output, then I might have to give this player a try.

Thanks!

Has anyone been able to confirm this? Can the BDH-6500 convert DTS to DD over HDMI as well as optical?
It worked for me but I took it back. It introduced a horrible audio sync lag that couldn't be corrected.

Severum
Is that correct? I asked in a different thread and was told that it only does the conversion on the optical output. If it does convert on HDMI output, then I might have to give this player a try.

Thanks!

Yes on the HDMI.
I have HD cable box, blu-ray player and apple tv all hdmi to my tv, and optical out from the tv to the playbar.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
This thread is specifically for those who are trying to understand the Playbars 5.1 and DTS issues.

As most of you know the Playbar does not convert DTS signal. It also will only convert 2.0 to SIMULATED PCM 5.1 signal. If you can live with the simulated signal, then you are ahead of the game. IF you want PURE unadulterated 5.1 from your DirecTV or Cable, you WILL most likely have to buy a switch like this one. http://www.monoprice.com/products/7974
Or a Bluray converter like this one.
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/

MOST tvs will not convert true 5.1. There are some on this thread that say they do, but most dont. I found this out the hard way by buying one of Samsungs highest end tv's, only to find out that 2.0 is all im ever gunna get.
A $75 switch is a bargain IMO to have such sound to the Playbar the way it is intended. IF you want 1080p up convert video and and 5.1 audio, then a simular Bluray like the Oppo is for you.

Concerning movies that are only on DTS:
Oppo can convert the DTS signal to PCM 5.1 as well. I do not know about the Switch, because I do not have one.

Can someone shed some light on how to setup the Oppos to convert a DTS signal to PCM 5.1. I've tried all the settings that I can find and I'm not having any luck.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
This may have been answered earlier but I have not been able to find the answer.

My question relates to this switch from Monoprice (item 5557 for those for whom the link does not work):

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

Note that the remote control unit has an option for 2ch vs. 5.1 channel audio out. My question is whether this solves the DTS issue? I realize that you would be dumbing down 5.1 audio to 2.0 but it is better than no sound at all.

Can someone let me know if this switch has worked for them and what exactly the audio option accomplishes when a DTS track is fed via a DVD or Blu-ray player?
Userlevel 2
It won't solve the DTS issue, but will allow you to get Dolby 5.1 into the play bar if your TV doesn't currently pass through the 5.1 signal it receives via an HDMI connection.
Userlevel 2
Hey gang, first post on the forum but I have been looking around for over a year and this is a great place.
I have been a sonos junkie now for over a year and half. The wife finds it very easy and I come home to find her blasting her music though out the house! Finding a system she finds easy to use is not short of remarkable.

I own 3 play 5, a sonos amp for my outdoor Kilpsh speakers and the wife got me a pair of play 1 for xmas so I can start my 5.1 sons system. I was able to to pick up the play bar about a month ago and still saving for the sub. I got to say the music sounded outstanding, TV sounded good and movies sounded OK. I was running everything through the TV. Today I received the Monoprice 7974 and WOW. Everything sounds outstanding. Thats the ticket and I now have a system that blows away most everything I've had in the past.

Ive had the 250 watts rms 7.1 systems but I am done with those days. My system sounds clear and just fantastic. Oh, and no wires running all over. I have the samsung DVD and it runs DD5.1 blue ray so I am not feeling like Im missing out on anything. I have a Harmony remote that works everything nicely and the sonos system running 5.1 give us very clear voices in all the movies and show like Ive never had before. Ive kicked the bass up on the play bar until I get the sub and it sounds great. You really need to get a optical switch to make it all work but its worth it and the wife has no problem with me spending money on sonos!!! She loves it to. We are moving in a week and I am pairing a set of play 5 in the basement I have and my house will rock.

I understand folks getting upset that sonos does not run 5.1 out of the box for the money and DTS is a no go but you know what, my system sounds outstanding and everyone is blow away by it and wants to get one. I have less equipment, less wires and it sounds better than the system I had plus it plays any music in my library and radio at the touch of a button and links to my other sonos for a whole house of great music. Worth every penny to me.

Sorry to hijack the thread but getting the optical switch and having a samsung dvd player give me everything I want plus......
Userlevel 2
I was pretty excited when I read your post and came close to purchasing the $500 workaround, but erred on the sided of caution. I contacted Oppo with the simple question of whether the BDP-103 would convert DTS to Dolby 5.1. They replied stating that it doesn't nor was it designed to do so. Still looking.
Userlevel 2
Hi, I've been trying to find a workaround to play DTS-movies on my playbar. Thought I had to give up but noticed in the latest version of XBMC (13.0) there is support to Enable Dolby Digital transcoding! Works nicely from my HTPC. Just need to buy two ones and test the surround 😃
Badge
(edited)

The beta patch (soon to be an official patch in March) for XBox One will allow for DTS signals to be changed into Dolby 5.1 surround sound. I played a Bluray movie (Dark Knight Rises) with the DTS sound track from XBox One and XBox "transformed" that sound track to Dolby Digital 5.1 when sending it to my Vizio television and ultimately to the Sonos SoundBar. I was able to verify that I was getting distinct surround sound from my rear Sonos speakers.

Kind of an expensive workaround if you aren't interested in the Xbox games. It's a shame that Sonos decided not to support DTS.

Bluray movie --> Xbox One --> HDMI --> Vizio TV --> optical --> Sonos PlayBar and rear speakers

This is very interesting! To expand, would this work with it:

Virgin TiVo (HDMI) > XBOX ONE (HDMI) > TV (OPTICAL) > Playbar? =5.1 from TiVo Channels/Blurays played via Xbox one?

What I am trying to gather is if the Xbox one can convert content to 5.1, would it also work if the HDMI from a TiVo box is plugged directly into it, sending it's sound and audio through it to the tv?

would be very greatful is someone could answer this as I am so close to getting the Playbar/Sub/1 or 3 setup... I just want a work around that is feasible and is in line with what I have/will get.

Lastly, can anyone also confirm that the Samsung F8000 is now outputting DD5.1 from it's latest patch/update?
Userlevel 2
I got two Ones yesterday and added them to the playbar+sub as surround speakers and it works great with KODI (XBMC) transcoding DTS to DD5.1. Highly recommend it as a solution for them that want to play DTS on your Sonos system. Get a HTPC with bluray and install XBMC, then you can both play bluray-discs and other videofiles with DTS.
Userlevel 2
I found this thread during my research. Can anybody confirm:

The Samsung BD-F5900/ZA Blu-Ray will convert DTS to 5.1. However, it will only pass-thru whatever format is on a DVD. I would assume that most DVDs would be older and hence, this wouldn't be a huge issue. Here is a link to the owner's manual (see page 62). (I can't post links so copy/paste //downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201301/20130128133823310/02285N-BD-F5900-ZA-ENG-0128_BM.pdf

It also appears that if the TV will not pass-through 5.1 from HDMI connected devices (pass-through digital optical audio out), you simply get an optical switch, which allows you to plug each device into the switch, which is connected to the Playbar, thereby by-passing the TV altogether. You merely switch between the devices, depending on what you are using. Now, you are really going to need a switch anyway, as your converted Blu-rays will have to get to the Playbar. Simply, there is no reason to get a TV that will pass-thru 5.1 because if you want to get guaranteed 5.1 from your Blu-rays, you are going to need the switch, or you are going to have to plug your Blu-ray into your Playbar every time you are dealing with DTS.

Am I correct?
Userlevel 2
I had 4 Sonos components (Sub, Play 5, and 2 Play:3s). I read this forum to decide if the Sonos Playbar would be a good investment to create surround sound for the TV. I also own a Samsung F-5900 Blu-Ray. I don't often watch DVDs, but I do watch a lot of movies through the Plex app on the Blu-Ray. Since I do everything through the Blu-Ray, I connected the optical cable direct from the Blu-Ray to the Playbar.

I did not have success DTS transcoding from the Plex media server through the Blu-Ray (Samsung app). Only PCM worked. In the Plex forums, some indicate that the PlexPass (monthly fee) solves the issue, but I doubt it's true (so far). So the takeaway is that the Samsung F-5900 Blu-Ray will transcode DTS sound from a disc, but not a file through plex media server. That's something I didn't know from this thread. I assumed that I could always get Dolby 5.1 out through the Blu-Ray since it is one of the options. So I'm writing this so that others can make a more informed decision.

The cheapest workaround is the Popcorn program that converts DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1/ AC-3. The only problem is it only works on MKVs, and it requires more work.

I'm still happy with my choice to purchase the PlayBar because it's great for music, and now I have a truly wireless surround sound system. But it seems to be a different ball game when you are using files through Plex and not discs.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I noticed that the Monoprice switch has a note that says 24awg cabling is highly recommended and runs of at least 4 ft. I am assuming that is for input and output. Is everyone running that sort of cabling with this switch? I am going to order one and am guessing I will need to buy some more hdmi cables...
Userlevel 2
Okay, so i have read quite a bit of the posts here..

Still i have no clue what to do, if i want true 5.1..

The only way i use my TV is:
Television Signal from Cable
Chromecast via HDMI
Computer via HDMI

Is there any possible way, to get these sources to put Dolby Digital into my playbar? Xbox? Switch? Converter? what ever 😃
Badge +1
My current setup works to play DD 5.1 and convert DTS to 5.1.

I'm using a Lenovo desktop connected to a monoprice HDMI switch to my TV (Using HDMI). And I'm running the optical cable from my switch to the Playbar.

And I'm using the Plex Home Theater app on Windows. This is the Key I believe.

Pretty much everything I throw at it including TrueHD and DTS-HD gets somehow converted to DD 5.1. That's what shows on my Sonos app is showing.
Userlevel 2
Has anyone achieved 5.1 and 1080p, playing there movie collection from a synology nas . If anyone could share there setup. i would be forever grateful.
Userlevel 2
My current setup works to play DD 5.1 and convert DTS to 5.1.

I'm using a Lenovo desktop connected to a monoprice HDMI switch to my TV (Using HDMI). And I'm running the optical cable from my switch to the Playbar.

And I'm using the Plex Home Theater app on Windows. This is the Key I believe.

Pretty much everything I throw at it including TrueHD and DTS-HD gets somehow converted to DD 5.1. That's what shows on my Sonos app is showing.

Is there a setting in Plex where you can choose if Audio should be converted in Dolby?

Plex is now also available for the Playstation 3. Maybe it is now also possible to to play BluRays with the Playstation 3 and get 5.1 sound. Or you can play files from your NAS in converted Dolby.

How about running a Mulitmedia PC with Plex on it connected to your NAS?

I am now using a Samsung BluRay Player that can convert DTS to Dolby.
Badge +4
I got two Ones yesterday and added them to the playbar+sub as surround speakers and it works great with XBCM transcoding DTS to DD5.1. Highly recommend it as a solution for them that want to play DTS on your Sonos system. Get a HTPC with bluray and install XBMC, then you can both play bluray-discs and other videofiles with DTS.

I for one would appreciate it if you could explain the acronyms you are using, i.e. XBCM, HTPC and XBMC - I have no idea what you're talking about. Many thanks.
Home Theatre PC
XBCM

I think the XBMC is a typo.
Badge +4
Home Theatre PC
XBCM

I think the XBMC is a typo.

Thank you kindly 🙂
Is there a setting in Plex where you can choose if Audio should be converted in Dolby?

Plex is now also available for the Playstation 3. Maybe it is now also possible to to play BluRays with the Playstation 3 and get 5.1 sound. Or you can play files from your NAS in converted Dolby.

How about running a Mulitmedia PC with Plex on it connected to your NAS?

I am now using a Samsung BluRay Player that can convert DTS to Dolby.

Actually the stock Playstation 3 Blu-ray player has been able to transcode DTS to DD5.1 for a long time. There's some options in the settings menu, can't remember which ones and I haven't had a PS3 for a long time.

I also have a Samsung player that does the transcoding 🙂
wow i thought i was the only one having this problem ! ( im new to sonos ) does anyone know if BDP-S7200 Sony blu ray player decodes DTS to Dolby? i'm sick of the crackling sound on blu ray discs. this is the highest model sony makes as far blu ray players. if this isn't the answer, i will go a head and buy a ps4.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I had 4 Sonos components (Sub, Play 5, and 2 Play:3s). I read this forum to decide if the Sonos Playbar would be a good investment to create surround sound for the TV. I also own a Samsung F-5900 Blu-Ray. I don't often watch DVDs, but I do watch a lot of movies through the Plex app on the Blu-Ray. Since I do everything through the Blu-Ray, I connected the optical cable direct from the Blu-Ray to the Playbar.

I did not have success DTS transcoding from the Plex media server through the Blu-Ray (Samsung app). Only PCM worked. In the Plex forums, some indicate that the PlexPass (monthly fee) solves the issue, but I doubt it's true (so far). So the takeaway is that the Samsung F-5900 Blu-Ray will transcode DTS sound from a disc, but not a file through plex media server. That's something I didn't know from this thread. I assumed that I could always get Dolby 5.1 out through the Blu-Ray since it is one of the options. So I'm writing this so that others can make a more informed decision.

The cheapest workaround is the Popcorn program that converts DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1/ AC-3. The only problem is it only works on MKVs, and it requires more work.

I'm still happy with my choice to purchase the PlayBar because it's great for music, and now I have a truly wireless surround sound system. But it seems to be a different ball game when you are using files through Plex and not discs.

I'm trying to get the Samsung J5900 working in my setup and not having any luck so far. I have the audio set to "Bitstream (Re-Encode to Dolby D)", which I would think is right on the player's end. HDMI from player to HDMI switch, then on to TV, and optical from TV to Playbar. I'm positive the TV passes through 5.1 (confirmed w/ DVR, Roku, Apple TV), but have checked by running optical straight from the HDMI switch to the TV. No matter what settings I choose or hookups I try, I keep getting nothing but stereo on the Playbar's end. It sounds like others have had luck with the J5900 (or some older version thereof), so hoping someone may have some ideas.
Userlevel 1
I have had my surround Sonos setup (Playbar, Sub, 2 x Play 3's) for around a year now. I love the sound, wireless capability, and functionality of the streaming services. It works great with my AT&T box - providing 5.1 on the HD channels without issue.

Anyway, regarding playing DTS bluray's / media files I thought I would share my current workaround to help others. I have a HTPC in my living room. Attached to this via USB I have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro. This handy little device transcodes DTS to Dolby Digital and provides a toslink optical connection which goes into my toslink switcher - ultimately connecting to the Playbar. When I play DTS bluray's / media files; full 5.1 sound is produced by the Sonos system. I had the HTPC before I bought the Sonos, so it only cost me a $50 upgrade to get it working.

Please note the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro is only able to provide 5.1 with Windows 7 and 8.1. Microsoft screwed up the audio platform on Windows 10 breaking 5.1 for all manufactures. This is a major bug that has not been resolved yet. Currently my HTPC dual boots 8.1 and 10 until the issue is fixed.

I agree with others – Sonos need to pony up for the DTS license. It is a significant step up from DD, plus more and more movies are adopting it as their standard. It is strange to think you can buy a cheap 5.1 sound system for $200 that is DTS compatible, while the Sonos system (costing 10x) has no support - doesn't make sense.