Samsung TV Setting- Dolby Atmos Compatibility

• 30 December 2021
  • 10 replies

Badge +2

I have a Samsung TV model: UN50RU7100F

The link to its specifications: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/d26a1815

In expert settings there is a Dolby Atmos Compatibility setting that one can turn on (which I have). 

I’m trying to figure out if I’m truly getting Dolby Atmos when playing Dolby Atmos movies through HBO Max. It says Dolby Atmos on the S2 app. I wasn't sure if my TV is allowing sound to go through it but not as true Dolby Atmos. I've done all the true toning, standing at different distances from the Arc, played with height volume, during big Atmos scenes but just not feeling submersed in the sound. I had another thread I started but this is more geared towards Samsung TV limitations. Not sure if I'm bypassing tv’s max capability or if it's minimizing the true Dolby Atmos. The S2 app says Dolby Atmos being played but I’m having a hard time believing it!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Hi. If the app says it is Atmos then it's Atmos. The TV settings for audio output should not be set to PCM. What other options do you have? (But perhaps only affects the Internal TV speakers?)

It is not clear from your post whether the have just the Arc or the full HT setup with surrounds?

Also perhaps checkout some of the Dolby Atmos links in this thread to download and test each channel, including the height audio channels:

Badge +2

My set up is Arc, Sub, & 2 rear Sonos ones. 

PCM changes to Dolby Digital + when input source allows it.  I'm definitely getting surround sound. But having hard time feeling Atmos even when it says it's playing Atmos. Sound tested the individual speaker test worked (each channel made correct noise). 

I’m just not sure if it was a known fact that this type of Samsung television is uncapable of bypassing to true atmos. Trying to figure out if I may need a different tv. Hopefully not!

thanks for the replies so far :-)

Have you played with the surround and height settings for the Arc?

This may just be a case of expectations management. Not every film with Atmos has spectacular audio effects.

The TV won't be outputting a partial or inferior version of Atmos. It's Atmos or it isn’t. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I have the 7400 version of this TV and I cannot get Atmos at all, same TV settings as you. However I am using an Apple TV. What device are you running HBO Max on?

Badge +2

Amazon 4k Firestick- sound setting set on best available (atmos included)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Amazon 4k Firestick- sound setting set on best available (atmos included)

Darn it, I sold my Firestick last week right before my Beam arrived. Ironic.

Userlevel 7

Play The Matrix on HBO Max and in the Sonos app, go to Settings > System > About My System and scroll down to the Arc information. What exactly does it say after “Audio In:”?

Badge +2

I did an Dolby Atmos Test from a link via Airplay 2 and it produced great sound. I think I will have to somehow dial in speaker height and angle based off my 7’ high ceiling. I wish there was some kind of  formula/map that says if ceiling is X height, couch is Y distance from ARC, and ARC is Z height from ceiling then this is what XZY should be for this specific set up. 

Userlevel 7

I did an Dolby Atmos Test from a link via Airplay 2 and it produced great sound. I think I will have to somehow dial in speaker height and angle based off my 7’ high ceiling. I wish there was some kind of  formula/map that says if ceiling is X height, couch is Y distance from ARC, and ARC is Z height from ceiling then this is what XZY should be for this specific set up. 

If you are seeing “Dolby Atmos (DD+)” after “Audio In” while watching The Matrix on HBO Max, you are definitely getting Dolby Atmos audio. 

See the diagram I just posted on the other thread: