Answered

Samsung TV - Apple TV- Sonos Beam frustrations

• 3 October 2018
  • 3 replies

So I have the JU6400 Samsung UHD TV. It has an ARC HDMI port, and 2 other HDMI ports. I connected the Beam with ARC, and Apple TV 4K on a regular (STB) HDMI port. Turned on AnyNet+ from the Samsung menu to have it see the Beam on HDMI-CEC (ARC).
Except they don't want to talk to each other! I have played around with every setting on both devices to have the audio from the TV routed through a "Receiver" (Beam) option on TV, but no sound gets outputted. I have even turned off CEC control in the Apple TV settings without success.

I have read multiple forums here and otherwise and tried with every possible setting, unless I am missing something obvious somewhere. ANY TIPS??

The other route I took from Optical Out from TV using the Optical-HDMI adapter. I got sound, yayyy! Except, then I got to know that the TV is programmed to not output Dolby/DTS surround sound when the input is 3rd-party HDMI input which is Apple TV in this case. Meaning, I am now listening in Stereo!! UGGHHH!

Should this that difficult? Any help is very much appreciated! If I can explain my set up any better, please holler.

Please be that rockstar that I am not!
icon

Best answer by Camkode 5 October 2018, 06:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I believe I am experiencing the same or a very similar problem! I am a new Sonos customer with the beam. Today when I attempted to play video onto my Apple TV, no sound came out.

The issue seems to be with CEC as when I go into the Sonos app and tap TV under browse, it realizes there is a connection issue. When I go through the steps to “fix it” I get the screen that the cec function is not connected- I had this problem earlier this evening and messed around with my devices enough from restarting, changing hdmi cords and ports, and disabling and re-enabling the cec function on my TV that the “fix it” connection steps successfully got to the end and the sound output was working once more.
The first fix listed on this thread (disconnecting sonos from tv, power cycle tv) + disabling and re-enabling my cec on my tv menu seemed to have solved my issue for now: https://en.community.sonos.com/site/terms
From what I've seen, CEC is a very fragile interface, requiring extra care when setting it up. Glad you've got it figured out.