Skip to main content

Samsung one remote not working with Sonos Playbar (incl Workaround)

• 4 November 2020
  • 27 replies

Hello,

For two weeks now I am the proud owner of a Samsung Q95T TV

When I installed the Sonos playbar to work with the Samsung One remote I followed the following instructions → https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3444?language=en_US

This worked like a charm.

However suddenly today the One remote no longer communicated with the Playbar, no matter what I tried (followed the instructions again , did a hard reset of my playbar etc. ) nothing worked. 

After browsing through the community I found a workaround (Select Samsung as home cinema brand).

I am nit-picking here but what I do not like is when I now press volume up/down it says Samsung instead of Sonos and of course I can perfectly live with it

But I just want to know Why do I need to select Samsung as brand to get my Sonos to work. ?

--------- Workaround ----------

Instructions on Samsung TV:
Go to Settings -> Universal Remote -> New Device
Select Device Type: Home Theatre System
Select Brand: Samsung (instead of Sonos)
Select Home Cinema Configuration: Optical
Start "Power Test" and always hit "No" (unsuccessful) until the 4th power test, there select Yes (home theatre system turned on/off).

After this the Sonos Playbar can understand the IR commands emitted by the One Remote, without the One Connect box needing to be in line-of-sight.

Change remote on Sonos Playbar:
Start the Sonos App
Go to More -> Settings -> Room Settings-> Room with TV/Playbar -> TV -> Remote control setup

Follow on-screen instructions, you will have to learn Volume Up/Down and Mute.

----

#Shoutout to af2k for posting this Workarond at Community Post

27 replies

For your info, I have the silver remote for Samsung One. 

I had to follow the instructions above, but on the TV I had to choose OK (for sonos on/off) on the 6th try (not the 4th)

The workaround didn't work for me - I have the white one remote. 

However, I DID get it to work (after it randomly stopped working yesterday) by entering 'playbar' as the model number once Sonos was selected and power test answered 'no' until the model number entry option appeared. 

Hope it helps someone else, I was ready to snap the thing in half!!