Samsung "old" TV with HDMI eArc, Amazon Fire TV cube and Dolby Atmos not showing up

• 24 November 2020
  • 13 replies

Badge

Hi everyone,

I have a 2017 Samsung TV that features an eArc HDMI port.

I recently got a Sonos Arc and an Amazon Cube Fire TV, with the goal to enjoy Dolby Atmos sound.

I am not managing to get it. I keep seeing in Sonos app “dolby digital 5.1” on titles that are supposed to have Atmos. I indeed launched those from the Netflix app on the Cube.

I have ordered better HDMI cables (my last hope) but I wonder if any of you has some ideas how to fix this, or if it’s possible that my tv, for some reason, is the bottle-neck

(I connected the arc to the eArc port, and the Cube to another HDMI)

thanks!

marco

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @marcocamma, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community. We appreciate you for letting us know about your concern. 

The Sonos Arc can play Dolby Atmos audio. ARC and eARC are protocols responsible for sending audio over an HDMI cable to home theater sound systems like Sonos Arc. Sonos Arc must be connected to HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC to play any Dolby Atmos content. Not all TVs have HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC, so check your TV’s user manual to see which HDMI connections you have. The table below shows which physical connections are required for Dolby Atmos compared to other home theater audio formats.

Getting Dolby Atmos audio can also depend on the physical source device playing the content. The Amazon Fire TV Cube supports Dolby Atmos content, but older generation Fire TVs do not. Some TVs do not support Dolby Atmos audio even if the source device (e.g. Roku Ultra) does. In most cases, the TV will re-encode the audio to Dolby Digital 5.1. Check with the TV manufacturer of your device to see if it supports Dolby Atmos.

We can also wait for suggestions and feedback from our Sonos community members, they might provide additional information about this. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns. We are always happy to help out.

Badge

Hi Rowenna,

yep I found that article and I saw this:

”Some TVs do not support Dolby Atmos audio even if the source device (e.g. Roku Ultra) does.”

so I wonder if this could be my case....

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

2017 is awfully early for TV's to feature an eARC Connection - my 2019 Samsung doesn't even have one (though a software update is promised). Maybe Atmos from the apps on your TV is possible (compressed Atmos can also be sent via ARC (non “e")).

I bought an Amazon Fire Stick in the hope of getting Atmos, only to discover that the Fire Stick only does Atmos for Amazon Prime Video (for which there is little Atmos content) not Netflix or other apps. Maybe the Cube is the same.

As others have said, that may not be the only break in the chain for you.

I replaced the Fire Stick with an Invidia Shield.

My TV (2016 LG OLEDE6) definitely did not do Atmos but I had already got round that by buying an HDFury Arcana.

So the solution wasn't cheap, but a lot less than buying a new top of the range TV.

Badge

2017 is awfully early for TV's to feature an eARC Connection -

(in the meantime, I got good cables, still no luck..)

My apologies! I meant ARC connection, not eARC…

So shall I take the conclusion that only with eARC a tv (that is in the middle between Amazon Cube and Sonos Arc...) will be capable to allow the Dolby Atmos to be played?

If so, I would understand the reasons of devices like this HDFury…

But it’s confusing!! also looking at the Sonos table about compatibilities I see it shall be possible to play dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital Plus...).

Maybe I get this already, but Netflix shows only 5.1 Logo, and Sonos app shows Dolby digital plus 5.1.

I want to be sure I am using the Arc at it’s full potential.

I bought an Amazon Fire Stick in the hope of getting Atmos, only to discover that the Fire Stick only does Atmos for Amazon Prime Video (for which there is little Atmos content) not Netflix or other apps. Maybe the Cube is the same.

Actually not, Cube is supposed to overcome the limitation you are mentioning about Fire Stick 

Thanks for your feedback

mk

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Arc can do Atmos, but only if it is fed Atmos by your TV, either in a Dolby Digital+ stream (from apps playing on your TV) or a (blu ray) player that’s feeding the TV full Atmos or DD+ via eARC or ARC respectively.

This all depends on the TV: do the apps do Atmos, does the TV send Atmos from the apps to the Arc, does the TV pass through DD+ (your TV has no eARC) to the Arc? The older your TV the less likely it is it can pull this off…..

Badge

I guess the explanation in my case will be that my Tv with HDMI-Arc port and capable of playing DD+, is not able to send Dolby Atmos to the Sonos Arc.

There might be tv with HMDI-Arc and DD+ that can be able instead.

can I say: it’s confusing! Especially if you add in the mix the source of the signal and the quality of the cables.

Thanks for help guys. I guess I have no need of the Amazon Cube, then

mk

Didn’t see this mentioned yet, but Netfiix requires a premium subscription (forget the exact name) for atmos content.  If you don’t have that, you’ll need to upgrade your account.  It might be a good idea to remove the netflix app and reinstall after this so that the app doesn’t get confused on what subscription you have.  It seems like this happened with me.

I would also try the smart app on your TV, assuming it has that.

I did have a similar setup to you originally.  Samsung ARC TV, FireTV Cube, netflix, Sonos Arc, and feels like I did get it to work, but honestly can’t remember what did and did not work right.  I’ve since switched to using Nvidia Shield primarily, as well the Arcana and have zero issues.

Badge

I did have a similar setup to you originally.  Samsung ARC TV, FireTV Cube, netflix, Sonos Arc, and feels like I did get it to work, but honestly can’t remember what did and did not work right.  I’ve since switched to using Nvidia Shield primarily, as well the Arcana and have zero issues.

ciao,

yep, I have a premium account so I should be ok for that.

I have found this from Samsung website (sorry for the Italian but might be understandable)

https://www.samsung.com/it/support/tv-audio-video/what-is-earc-and-how-to-set-on-samsung-smart-tv/

I want to believe -also to stop getting mad on this- that a (Samsung) TV with HDMI Arc can not deliver Dolby Atmos to the Soundbar, regardless of the source.

so I have returned the Cube and got a “normal” 4K tv Stick

Its frustrating to know, after spending $1800 on SONOS sorround system, we need to invest more to get Atmos audio. Samsung solution with their Atmos sound bars is neat. They provide video return channel to TVs and Projectors. As long as the source gives you Atmos, the sound bar should be able to provide Atmos.

Why should I invest on adaptors like HDFury Arcana after spending $1800.

Please help.  Sonos ARC - New Fire Cube - Projector.  I can play music through Alexa from Cube to ARC.  What I can’t do is get sound from video.  I tried a splitter from my cube to projector and ARC, but no sound is coming from the ARC.  My projector has no ARC HDMI - the only output sound via old school audio cable.  I have a new Cube and new ARC and we can’t use them to watch TV.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Jus to be clear and not to confuse anyone: the soundbar is called Arc. The Sonos Arc (and the Sonos Beam and Amp) need to be connected via an HDMI-ARC-connection. Most projectors do not have an HDMI-ARC connection. You will not get sound from other HDMI connections.

Please see my reply to the thread you started.