Question

Samsung KS8000 with Sonos ARC no Dolby Digital Plus signal

I have the Samsun KS8000 connected via arc to my new Sonos ARC soundbar.

I get Dolby Digital to my Arc, but no Dolby Digital Plus signal.

The specs for the TV states it supports DD+, but I cannot select it from the sound menu’s on the TV…

Any ideas?

Regards,

D.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Badge

I would really like to know the answer to this too. I have the same TV and plan on getting the new ARC soon. 

i have the same issue - trying to get Atmos through sky q.  When I select dolby digital plus in the settings and select a UHD channel that supports Atmos it goes silent!!  Desperate to find out why!!??

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

rtings.com says “ The TV supports 5.1 passthrough for Dolby Digital and DTS, but it is necessary to select the correct audio type in the sound settings, since it doesn't change automatically “. It also says the ARC port is HDMI 4.

The first two posters do not indicate what their Atmos source device actually is, which might be significant.

My HDMI cable for the Sonos Arc is connected to the Arc port

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi everyone, sorry for the late response and thank you for reaching out. @funboyleigh @Domx360, welcome to the community.

@Domx360, I looked for a user manual for your TV. I would like you to check if going to your TV Settings > Sound > Expert Settings if you see HMDI audio settings.

Also in the sound settings, select audio out in the select speaker section.

If you’re still having issues, please take a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation.

@funboyleigh, that’s good that the Sonos Arc is connected to the HDMI-ARC port of the TV. Now, I would like to know the model of your TV. So, I can also look for a user manual.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

I have a similar Samsung tv (not exactly the same model) but I am only able to select Dolby Digital + from the audio menu if I have audio playing in that format while I make the selection.  So for example, if I go into Prime Video app on my tv and play Jack Ryan season 2, while its playing go into Setting-->Sound-->Expert and make sure HDMI Input Audio Format = Bitsream and then change Digital Output Audio Format to Dolby Digital +.  It seems to only let you select it if that format is playing.

I hope this helps.

@Kyle A thanks for the mention,  my TV is a Samsung ue49ks8000T - I look forward to your reply.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @funboyleigh, thank you for the update.

I found settings that we would need to check in your TV settings.

Select Bitstream for the HDMI Input Audio Format 

Select DD+ or Auto for the HDMI Output Audio Format. The Auto setting would be the best if the option is available.

You should find the settings under Expert Settings in the Sound section.

If you still have issues, try playing the UHD channel and take a diagnostic check and reply with the diagnostic number

Here’s how: Settings > Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostic. 

Thanks for the posts - been reading them as I have SkyQ, Arc and Samsung KS8000. I also have silence when SkyQ set to DD+ and Atmos content viewed / listened to.

Spoke with Samsung who said that the TV supports DD+ (although it’s not an option on the Expert settings in Audio settings) - they said it “auto” recognises DD+. So there’s no menu option only automatic recognition! None of the Apps on the TV (Netflix and Prime) seems to display Atmos (DD+) as an option. Was thinking the Sonos Arc maybe needs to give a signal to the TV to accept DD+ from the Sky box ?

Any thoughts as I’m stuck, please? Thanks Steve 

See this topic on Change.org

DD+ is only supported in the sense that the tv can read the signal and thus produce sound, but passthrough is not a thing.

I’m in the same boat (49KS7000, =49ks8000 in the US)

See this topic on Change.org

DD+ is only supported in the sense that the tv can read the signal and thus produce sound, but passthrough is not a thing.

I’m in the same boat (49KS7000, =49ks8000 in the US)

Thank you

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @SteveRushin, thanks for the update.

Although our Sonos Arc can communicate with the TV through the HDMI-ARC connection. The Home Theater speaker can’t send out signals for the TV to output Dolby Digital. 

In short, the Sonos Arc only receives Audio signals from the TV.

As for the link @PepperPoker mentioned, the petition was 2 years ago. 

I would suggest getting in touch with Samsung if this is still an ongoing issue and they have more information about your TV.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Hi,

i would really lile an answer to this problem as well. Got a similair tv that support DD+. Samsung ue60ks7005 but cant find anywere to choose DD+ in settings. 

When I look at https://www.change.org/p/samsung-dolby-atmos-and-dd-over-hdmi-arc-for-2016-samsung-suhd-tv It seems the problem is that Samsung have to send out an firmwire update, is that correct? 

I have my Sonos Arc connected to the tvs hdmi-arc port and the audio settings is set to bitstream and dolby digital. Then I use the Netflix app in the Tv. Cant get out DD+ when I look at the sonos app. 

Anyone have any fix on this problem? 
greetings from Sweden! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @antel, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

Thank you for taking the time to troubleshoot and I’ll be assisting you.

I can’t speak on behalf of Samsung on the matter. You may need to contact them for their official statement on the issue.

However, I can check the specifications and the user manual of the TV.

It does support DD+; I would like to know what do you have under Setting > Sound > Expert Settings > Audio Format?

The manual didn’t mention anything about the options in Audio Format.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Thanks @Kyle A for the answer! 

I cant change much in my expert settings. You can se the attached pictures.

I have tried PCM and Bitstream. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Unfortunately the KS8000 isn’t going to support Dolby Atmos.  It’s simply too old.  Your best bet (short of buying a new TV) is to get the Arcana HD Fury is coming out with, along with an Apple TV or another streaming device that supports Atmos.  https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/ 

I had a JS8000 (the prior year model) and replaced it with an LG OLED when I got the Arc.  Just no way to get Atmos through these older TVs.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @antel, thank you for the update and @ewolkoff, thank you for the assist.

@antel, after seeing the pictures and as the manual stated it supports Dolby Digital Plus at least.

In order to have Dolby Digital Plus, is setting the TV to Bitstream and Dolby Digital Plus. 

I’m so sure about the settings, so I recommend calling the manufacturer to get an official answer.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I think the ability to decode DD+ will only really get you DD 5.1 on this TV.  It can’t decide Atmos, so the difference between DD+ and DD 5.1 is pretty much nil. 

Hi:) This is the thread I've been looking for!

I've had the ARC since it got released and I'm very pleased, but I cant get the around the atmos barrier. I own a Samsung KS7005 60", I think it is almost the same as KS8000. The manual states it supports DD+, but there are no option for this in the settings.

When reading on forums and articles I sometimes see that you could get "atmos-like-quality" without e-arc if you have DD+. Read: https://www.trustedreviews.com/how-to/hdmi-earc-sonos-arc-4035031

How do I watch movies with DD+?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I've had the ARC since it got released and I'm very pleased, but I cant get the around the atmos barrier. I own a Samsung KS7005 60", I think it is almost the same as KS8000. The manual states it supports DD+, but there are no option for this in the settings.

When reading on forums and articles I sometimes see that you could get "atmos-like-quality" without e-arc if you have DD+. Read: https://www.trustedreviews.com/how-to/hdmi-earc-sonos-arc-4035031

Unfortunately, you can’t get Atmos or “Atmos like quality” with the KS8000.  Folks are trying to get DD+, which may be possible but it won’t be Atmos.  It will sound essentially identical to DD 5.1. Many newer Samsung QLEDs can barely process Atmos themselves.  The HDFury Arcana will allow you to get Atmos with the KS8000, but it costs almost $200. 

I will come back with the result when Samsung have answerd my mail 👍🏼

Unfortunately, you can’t get Atmos or “Atmos like quality” with the KS8000.  Folks are trying to get DD+, which may be possible but it won’t be Atmos.  It will sound essentially identical to DD 5.1. Many newer Samsung QLEDs can barely process Atmos themselves.  The HDFury Arcana will allow you to get Atmos with the KS8000, but it costs almost $200. 

Thx for the answer! 

Am I understanding this right, for 5.1 to work you need a sonos sub, arc and two back speakers? 

@ewolkoff Thank you for the solution! I bit the bullet and bought an Arcana and it works. Getting Atmos — but with an Apple TV 4K. This was not possible without the Arcana.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Yeah the Arcana works great!  Definitely gets the job done. 

Yeah the Arcana works great!  Definitely gets the job done. 

Sure does!