Answered

Samsung JS/JU Model TVs Audio Issue with PLAYBAR

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Sonos Staff
  • 12372 replies
We've determined there to be an issue with Dolby Digital playback devices (including the Sonos PLAYBAR) and Samsung televisions in the JS and JU series. An example of a TV model number of this line would be the Samsung UN55JS8500. The optical output from these televisions doesn't pass a consistent signal to devices wired in through that connection. This could present when you're watching any Dolby Digital content through the TV's optical connection.

As a workaround if you're using one of these TVs, you can set the output of the TV to PCM (Stereo). There isn't any issue currently with that TV streaming stereo content to the PLAYBAR through the optical. Otherwise, you can look into using a different device. Some suggestions for setups and community recommended devices can be found here on our megathread.

We are working with Samsung on this issue, but there isn't currently a timeframe for a resolution. We'll update you as soon as there are any further details.

Because of the nature of this issue, we've added these televisions to our PLAYBAR Compatibility page which can be found here.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 10 November 2017, 19:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

214 replies

Badge
Finally removed the HDMI switch today, but it also coincided with a switch from Uverse to DirecTV. I hope there aren't too many variables at play, but I should have some more real-work experiences by the end of the week.
Badge
So far so good with the new Samsung firmware update.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm still getting dropouts, but not nearly as bad as before. I haven't had much time at home to actually see what programs are causing issues, but plan on doing a full sweep with PS4, Netflix, etc..... this weekend
Userlevel 3
Badge
The firmware doesn't fix the problem it just reduces the frequency of drop outs.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hello! I live in Switzerland and still have the 1452. No new firmware available...
Userlevel 1
Badge
This morning my TV installed 1460. Didn't have time to really listen and see if it fixes the now-less-often dropouts. Will follow up this weekend when I have more time with it.
Userlevel 1
Badge
This morning my TV installed 1460. Didn't have time to really listen and see if it fixes the now-less-often dropouts. Will follow up this weekend when I have more time with it.

1460 seems to have helped. I maybe had 1 dropout every 2 hours this weekend.
I am having the same audio dropout issue but with Samsung's new line of tv's, The KU series. Is there any way for you guys to confirm if Samsung plans on rolling out the same update?
Userlevel 3
Badge
The update doesn't fix the problem, it just decreases the frequency of the dropouts. I'm buying a new TV for a guest bedroom in my house and although I love Samsung TV's I'm going to purchase a Sony. I hope that I dont have the same problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I am having the same audio dropout issue but with Samsung's new line of tv's, The KU series. Is there any way for you guys to confirm if Samsung plans on rolling out the same update?

I believe these ones are being looked into right now too, I don't have specifics if the update will work for those with trouble or if a new one is being wrapped together for them. I'll look into it a bit more and will let you know if we have any further details from Samsung. You may want to reach out to them as well if you haven't, they probably have more specifics.

The update doesn't fix the problem, it just decreases the frequency of the dropouts. I'm buying a new TV for a guest bedroom in my house and although I love Samsung TV's I'm going to purchase a Sony. I hope that I dont have the same problem.

It should resolve the issue entirely from the testing we've done. Which model TV are you working with and what firmware?

There aren't any similar known issues with Sony TVs, or any other manufacturer for that matter.
Userlevel 1
Badge
UN60JS7000FXZA

That's my Samsung. Currently on 1460 firmware. It only seems to drop when I do something like press Guide for DirectTV. Still haven't fully troubleshot when it happens, though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
UN60JS7000FXZA

That's my Samsung. Currently on 1460 firmware. It only seems to drop when I do something like press Guide for DirectTV. Still haven't fully troubleshot when it happens, though.

Thanks, I'll pass it on to the team for you. Let us know if you notice any other correlation. It's possible that the cutout happens when the TV has to do a lot of processing and it skips out on audio due to the strain, but that's just speculation.
Badge
Hi is there any way of getting the 1455 update in the UK for Samsung js8500? My tv shows 1452 and no option to update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi is there any way of getting the 1455 update in the UK for Samsung js8500? My tv shows 1452 and no option to update.

We don't have a way to distribute that update unfortunately. You could reach out to Samsung and ask, but otherwise you'll need to wait until it's available for your region and TV.
Badge
Oh yeah sorry I didn't mean "when is Sonos going to do an update for my Samsung tv" you guys are good but not that good haha. I was just wondering if anyone in the UK had this update.
Badge
Oh yeah sorry I didn't mean "when is Sonos going to do an update for my Samsung tv" you guys are good but not that good haha. I was just wondering if anyone in the UK had this update.

Samsung are now up to firmware version 1460 for the JS series. It's available to download from the Samsung website. I installed it a few days ago on my 55JS9000 and so far have had no sound drop outs. Fingers crossed it stays that way
Badge
How do I update my tv from the website though? I've checked for updates in the tv itself and it says it's up to date.
Badge
How do I update my tv from the website though? I've checked for updates in the tv itself and it says it's up to date.

Go to the support section of the Samsung website. Put in your TV model. There you'll find the latest firmware version for your TV (1460). Download the file to a USB stick. The file is approx 1.6 gig in size. Plug the USB drive into your TV and follow the intructions that are on the website. It's really easy. Takes about 2 mins to update.
Badge
Ah brilliant thank you for the help. I'll do this over next couple of days
Badge
Will that firmware update give me full 5.1 surround sound via my sonos set up? (Playbar, sub and 2 play 1s)
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hey Ryan, I have the Samsung UN55JS7000 Firmware 1460
Badge
Will that firmware update give me full 5.1 surround sound via my sonos set up? (Playbar, sub and 2 play 1s)

Your current firmware will give you full 5.1 surround sound via your Sonos set up ... the 1460 firmware update merely fixes the sound drop outs that were associated with the JS models
Badge
Ah I see. Thank you. I'm not very 'techy' didn't think I was going to get 5.1 sound as my Sonos app is telling me it's receiving a stereo input from my tv.
Userlevel 2
I've upgraded to 1460 yesterday (Samsung TV UE75JU6470).
Unfortunately, there are still dropout, but less frequently - about one every 10 minutes 😞.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Exactly PabloPaul. The update just reduces the frequency of the drop outs. I have the same issue.