Answered

Samsung JS/JU Model TVs Audio Issue with PLAYBAR

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Sonos Staff
  • 12372 replies
We've determined there to be an issue with Dolby Digital playback devices (including the Sonos PLAYBAR) and Samsung televisions in the JS and JU series. An example of a TV model number of this line would be the Samsung UN55JS8500. The optical output from these televisions doesn't pass a consistent signal to devices wired in through that connection. This could present when you're watching any Dolby Digital content through the TV's optical connection.

As a workaround if you're using one of these TVs, you can set the output of the TV to PCM (Stereo). There isn't any issue currently with that TV streaming stereo content to the PLAYBAR through the optical. Otherwise, you can look into using a different device. Some suggestions for setups and community recommended devices can be found here on our megathread.

We are working with Samsung on this issue, but there isn't currently a timeframe for a resolution. We'll update you as soon as there are any further details.

Because of the nature of this issue, we've added these televisions to our PLAYBAR Compatibility page which can be found here.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 10 November 2017, 19:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

214 replies

I have the Samsung UE48JS8500 with Soundbar, sub and 2 play 3's for the surround. When it works its great. We only occasionally experience a drop out - not every hour and not every day either.

Hi Lance_Shaw, welcome to the community.
Would it be possible to wire the PLAYBAR to your ISPs cable box? (if it has an optical port of course) Let us know how it goes.

Hi.

That's not possible as I have the cable box in the corner of the room with all the wires going out, along the outside wall in trunking and back in for the wall mounted TV with soundbar underneath. The TV is in the middle of the wall. But then if I stream movies from my NAS or Amazon Prime etc, then the sound will only come through the TV and not the SONOS
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
TV is in the middle of the wall. But then if I stream movies from my NAS or Amazon Prime etc, then the sound will only come through the TV and not the SONOS

Got it. In this case, the best would be to contact our customer care team by phone and let us do the technical work with your help. We can guide you through some steps if you give us a call on our support line when you have some time to troubleshoot.
Let us know how it goes.
Userlevel 2
Hi there, I have this exact problem with my JU model curved Samsung, except even with the TV turned off, audio still cuts out exactly the same whilst being played through the Sonos app through the computer or my phone. Any ideas?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi there, I have this exact problem with my JU model curved Samsung, except even with the TV turned off, audio still cuts out exactly the same whilst being played through the Sonos app through the computer or my phone. Any ideas?

Hi Wobble, the symptoms are the same but I think your system is also experiencing wireless interference.
I'd be happy to check your system. Can you send us a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number? Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Exciting news guys, we have confirmation that Samsung has released a firmware update (version 1455.0) to address this issue on the JS and JU TVs. You can verify the installed firmware version by pressing the MENU/123 button on the remote, then selecting Menu, Support, and then highlight Software Update.

The update will install automatically on televisions that have a network connection, and automatic updates enabled. If you don't have them enabled, the television's firmware can be manually updated by pressing the MENU/123 button on the remote, then selecting Menu, Support, Software Update, and then select Update now.

Once this is done, feel free to set the TV's audio output back to Dolby Digital if you had set it to PCM. Let us know how it goes!
Badge +1
Exciting news guys, we have confirmation that Samsung has released a firmware update (version 1455.0) to address this issue on the JS and JU TVs. You can verify the installed firmware version by pressing the MENU/123 button on the remote, then selecting Menu, Support, and then highlight Software Update.

The update will install automatically on televisions that have a network connection, and automatic updates enabled. If you don't have them enabled, the television's firmware can be manually updated by pressing the MENU/123 button on the remote, then selecting Menu, Support, Software Update, and then select Update now.

Once this is done, feel free to set the TV's audio output back to Dolby Digital if you had set it to PCM. Let us know how it goes!

Is this applicable to the UK ? or is it just for the USA? there is no mention of this firmware version on the UK Samsung Support site, latest version for the UK is 1452.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Same as TopperXP here. My TV is on version 1452 and when I check for a software update through the TV it tells me it is on the latest version. I'm in the UK.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We've reached out to Samsung on details around the update version for the UK TVs, they might be rolling out the update a little slowly to other regions. I'll let you know when we have more details and not speculation.

Thanks!
Badge

This is huge. I'll check this weekend, but I'm praying that I can remove the HDMI switcher from my setup. What a mess that has caused (even though it does work). I just hope that I don't reset all my Harmony One activities and then, for some reason, the firmware update didn't correct the problem. This issue has been my absolute biggest challenge with Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
This is huge. I'll check this weekend, but I'm praying that I can remove the HDMI switcher from my setup. What a mess that has caused (even though it does work). I just hope that I don't reset all my Harmony One activities and then, for some reason, the firmware update didn't correct the problem. This issue has been my absolute biggest challenge with Sonos.

Since this update is a Samsung firmware update it won't have any affect on Sonos, that said, we did just have an unrelated software release today so it's possible that one makes your Harmony One unhappy. Have a good one and let us know if you have any trouble.
Badge

Since this update is a Samsung firmware update it won't have any affect on Sonos, that said, we did just have an unrelated software release today so it's possible that one makes your Harmony One unhappy. Have a good one and let us know if you have any trouble.

Right, but I had to add the HDMI switcher to my activity list so it could switch appropriately. Nothing to do with Sonos, per se.
Hi all,

I have a Samsung UE55JU6400 TV with the Sonos drop out issue.

The current firmware on my TV 1214 & when I do a check for update it says no update available.

Should the firmware update to resolve the issue by applicable to my TV?
Sorry all - exact model number is UE55JU6400KXXU
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sorry all - exact model number is UE55JU6400KXXU

The update should be available for all JU model TVs, but we have a request for some more information in at Samsung around the UK models which might not be getting this yet. You might want to reach out to Samsung support to see if there's an update available for that model which isn't getting pushed to the device for some reason.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I have been in contact with Samsung support and received this reply to my most recent inquiry:

"In reference with the issue you have stated on your email concerning the television with the Sonos soundbar, we would like to sincerely apologise for the inconvenience. Please be informed that we do not have any updates with this yet as Samsung in cooperation with Sonos are still working with this matter to find a resolution. I cannot guarantee a turn around time or an ETA for the release of the applications but I can guarantee you that this matter is now highly prioritised."

So, I am hopeful that a firmware or other update will be released by Samsung in the not too distant future for those of us with these TV models in the UK. For point of reference, my TV is a UE65JU6000KXXU.
Managed to find the 1455 update on the Samsung US Support site: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN40JU6400FXZA?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170

Was very tempted to attempt updating my UK set, but decided against it just incase.
Userlevel 1
Badge
!!!!!!!!!!!

Watched about 3.5 hours last night in Bitstream with 1455 update. Not a single glitch!

THANKS RYAN S FOR KEEPING ON TOP OF THIS!
Hey - did you apply the 1455 update to a US set or are you UK based?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hey - did you apply the 1455 update to a US set or are you UK based?

I'm US. It was automatically installed. In fact had I not read this thread, I wouldn't have even known the update had gone through.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
!!!!!!!!!!!

Watched about 3.5 hours last night in Bitstream with 1455 update. Not a single glitch!

THANKS RYAN S FOR KEEPING ON TOP OF THIS!

Glad it's working out for you.
____

We just heard back regarding model number UE48JS8500 that they'll be receiving the update soon, probably some time in July. They're testing the update against a number of different TVs and rolling them out over the course of the next month or so. Hopefully you aren't waiting too long.

Personally, I'd recommend against installing an update manually on the TV which isn't specifically for that model. Though it certainly may work without an issue, there's nothing worse than an errant update breaking the TV.
Badge
It looks like I've had this firmware update for some time. No time to test just yet though. Hopefully this weekend.
Userlevel 1
Badge
It's day 3, we haven't had a single dropout.

Thanks for talking to Samsung and getting them to patch the firmware!
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Still have dropouts on my JS9500-I'm in Canada..,.Whats the deal???
Userlevel 1
Badge
Still have dropouts on my JS9500-I'm in Canada..,.Whats the deal???

do you have the 1455 firmware?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Ok, 1455 has been solid for a week.... but today I've been having dropouts watching DirecTV...... Maybe it's a fluke, but Food Network and FYI channel have both lost audio about once every 5-10 minutes.....