Answered

Samsung Frame TV and Sonos audio

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hello - I recognize there’s been some discussion about this here, but not recently. I am favoring the purchase of a 2020 Samsung Frame TV. But, have seen quite a bit of discussion about audio / sync issues with this particular TV (and other Samsungs). I am wondering if there are any folks who can cite clean, issue-free audio using a playbar The Samsung frame. Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 1 April 2020, 15:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

6 months ago, I purchased the Samsung Frame 65 and had the exact EARC issues listed above.  Last week I purchased the 75 inch Frame and the EARC works right out of the box.  It automatically recognized and connected the arc as well.  Both are 2020 models, not sure what has changed.  The 65 inch still has the issue.  Pic below shows EARC enabled and yes I can hear the awesome sound.

I recently purchased the 65 inch The Frame along with a Sonos ARC.  Day 1 it worked fine, no issues at all. TV recognized the ARC, Alexa worked, all was good. 2 days ago I turned on the TV and had a couple of issues. First Disney+ would not stream video or audio. The app worked in that it connected to the service but no content was delivered to the TV. Other services streamed just fine.

When I finally got Disney+ streaming video, the audio would cut in and out repeatedly so much that it was unwatchable. I played around with the audio settings on the TV and settled on turning HDMI e-Arc off, instead of Auto and setting the Digital Output to PCM. This seemed to work as I was able to watch an episode of The Mandalorian. 

The next morning I got up and opened up Samsung TV to a news channel and had the intermittent audio problem again. One symptom that I noticed is that the “source” for Audio would alternate between HDMI and HDMI e-Arc. This time when I turned e-Arc off and set the Digital Output to PCM, it had no effect. 

I eventually reset the ARC and rediscovered it. That all worked fine, again, and now I have sound back. The e-Arc and Digital Output settings (under Expert Settings) are now set back to Auto. 

So, I don’t know how it is I got it working again but there seems to be something that causes the TV to think that the connection to the ARC isn’t e-Arc. I can’t tell if that’s a TV or ARC issue. Resetting the ARC seemed to resolve the issue for now. Let’s hope it was a transient error.

Userlevel 1

I too am having e-arc audio issues with a Samsung 2020 55 inch Frame TV and the Sonos Arc, I would advise everyone thinking of purchasing a sonos ARC sound bar  not to waste their money, as it has been months of nightmare technical issues and a complete waste of money buying the Arc. If you purchase a sound bar you expect it to work with any TV capable of outputting sound via the e-arc function, especially a NEW model TV.  And the poor excuse from Sonos that they are aware of the issue is not good enough. They either need to fix the issue with Samsung compatibility immediately (THE ISSUE HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR MONTHS AND GETTING WORSE) or withdraw the Arc from sale and issue refunds to all customer that have purchased the product that is basically not fit for purpose. I will be contacting trading standards if they do not replace the unit for a working model or fix the issue within the next few weeks, since the last Samsung firmware update, the issues have got even worse, and the arc is even more unstable. Sonos need to be working harder than they are to fix the incompatibly problems they have with using the Arc with a Samsung TV , but not stalling and making excuses. The Sound Bar is faulty whilst the incompatibility issue is causing the problems. SO FIX YOUR FAULTY SOUND BAR BEFORE YOU LOSE YOUR CUTOMERS. (I have  been a customer of Sonos since they started nearly 20 years ago, But I will NEVER buy another Sonos product if they dot not sort this issue ASAP)

Userlevel 1

Hello - I recognize there’s been some discussion about this here, but not recently. I am favoring the purchase of a 2020 Samsung Frame TV. But, have seen quite a bit of discussion about audio / sync issues with this particular TV (and other Samsungs). I am wondering if there are any folks who can cite clean, issue-free audio using a playbar The Samsung frame. Thanks in advance!

I don’t have a Frame, but have never had any sync issues between my Playbar and Samsung TV.

If you have a Frame TV 2020 Model, DO NOT BUY A Sonos Arc SOUNDBAR, THEY ARE NOT COMPATIBLE. AND SONOS SEEM TO DO NOTHING TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE APART FROM PLACING THE BLAME ON SAMSUNG

If you have a Frame TV 2020 Model, DO NOT BUY A Sonos Arc SOUNDBAR, THEY ARE NOT COMPATIBLE. AND SONOS SEEM TO DO NOTHING TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE APART FROM PLACING THE BLAME ON SAMSUNG

Not entirely true. I have a Samsung The Frame and a Sonos. I have had a couple of times where sound would cut out but only twice and the rest of the time they have worked fine together. It’s definitely not 100% reliable but I was able to restore sound pretty quickly in both instances. 

In my case the problem does look like a Samsung issue. The sound output toggles between e-Arc and plain HDMI. I don’t know what the Sonos would be doing to cause that to happen since that is a setting on the Samsung. Hopefully they will figure it out. For now, it’s working and if it does get worse you can bet I’ll be on Sonos and Samsung like stink on poop. 

Userlevel 1

Not entirely true. I have a Samsung The Frame and a Sonos. I have had a couple of times where sound would cut out but only twice and the rest of the time they have worked fine together. It’s definitely not 100% reliable but I was able to restore sound pretty quickly in both instances. 

In my case the problem does look like a Samsung issue. The sound output toggles between e-Arc and plain HDMI. I don’t know what the Sonos would be doing to cause that to happen since that is a setting on the Samsung. Hopefully they will figure it out. For now, it’s working and if it does get worse you can bet I’ll be on Sonos and Samsung like stink on poop. 

If I was you I would get in touch now, as it will get worse, my problems are getting more frequent, The fact that both Sonos and Samsung know of the issue and have known for months, but have still not rectified the problem is the most concerning. Sonos only tell customers after the purchase and after you experience problems with the e-arc incompatibility this  is a breach of trading standards . They need to work with Samsung to fix this issue of take the arc of sale until the issue is repaired . I have had to inform Sonos I want my issue escalated as every time I contact them I am fobbed off with excuses  and get knowwhere with them  to rectify if problem . 

I recently purchased a Samsung Frame TV and currently have a sonos playbar connected via optical cable. When I spoke with Samsung they said the only way to control the volume with the remote is to use a HDMI port which isnt available on the playbar. If your considering a Samsung TV with Sonos just keep in mind you will need do a workaround HDMI Extractor or universal remote. I would suggest selecting another type of TV.

6 months ago, I purchased the Samsung Frame 65 and had the exact EARC issues listed above.  Last week I purchased the 75 inch Frame and the EARC works right out of the box.  It automatically recognized and connected the arc as well.  Both are 2020 models, not sure what has changed.  The 65 inch still has the issue.  Pic below shows EARC enabled and yes I can hear the awesome sound.

Will you update us if you get the 65” working? I was planning on buying a 65” 2020 Frame, but am hesitant since I just got a Sonos ARC.

I have the 65’ Samsung Frame and I cant get it to work with the Sonos Beam.  Keeps saying that the HDMI ARC is not detected.  Please share if you were able to get it to work.

Can anybody confirm if this issue is present when using the Sonos Amp connected to the Samsung Frame?  We are undergoing a remodel and purchased the Sonos Amp with bookshelf speakers to pair with the Frame.  I won’t be able to test it out for another few weeks, but would like to anticipate if I may have to return the amp for something else.  Thanks

I recently purchased a Samsung Frame TV and currently have a sonos playbar connected via optical cable. When I spoke with Samsung they said the only way to control the volume with the remote is to use a HDMI port which isnt available on the playbar. If your considering a Samsung TV with Sonos just keep in mind you will need do a workaround HDMI Extractor or universal remote. I would suggest selecting another type of TV.

Will you update us if you get the 65” working? I was planning on buying a 65” 2020 Frame, but am hesitant since I just got a Sonos ARC.

I have the 65’ Samsung Frame and I cant get it to work with the Sonos Beam.  Keeps saying that the HDMI ARC is not detected.  Please share if you were able to get it to work.

I just set mine up and had issues and then I switched off TV and Arc and setup everything again and for some bizarre reason it works now. Around 2 days now with switching off overnight. Have my Arc connected with Ethernet and bought a separate cable which is the Belkin high speed one instead of one in the Sonos box. Fingers crossed it continues to work.

I just set mine up and had issues and then I switched off TV and Arc and setup everything again and for some bizarre reason it works now. Around 2 days now with switching off overnight. Have my Arc connected with Ethernet and bought a separate cable which is the Belkin high speed one instead of one in the Sonos box. Fingers crossed it continues to work.

Same issue here, with the 55” 2020 Frame. When I plug in the optical adapter, the TV recognizes that the cable is in, but then tells me that no speaker is found. I guess what I’m seeing is that I need to reset the TV and Beam and try installation all over again? Or are there any other recommendations? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

But you lose Atmos. That’s part the reason for why I bought the product—eArc and Atmos. 

I’ve finally figured out how to fix this!

The remote does not produce IR itself if you follow the standard Samsung universal remote instructions along with the Sonos connection instructions.

what the unit actually does, is it sends a signal to the One Connect (Bluetooth I think, NOT IR) and then the one connect transmits an IR signal to the remote then to the Sonos. So the remote is acting as a receiver/transmitter. You need line of site with this. This is why the Sonos only works when the cabinet is open with the one connect visible.

this is how you trick the remote into producing an IR signal directly to the Sonos. Found this on the Samsung forum:

“Go through the steps - start-- set up new device for home theater-- search Sonos and select-- Power test * this is where you want to answer "no" to the first "did this power off your device" question... on the second test answer "yes"... this should swap the IR to be sent from the remote and allow you to control the sound bar.”

hurrah!!!

would be great if Samsung made it more obvious how to get the remote to actually transmit IR.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I do not think the remote will be used as a “middle man". My reasoning is the One Connect box sends the ir-signal. This would mean there has to be (some) line of sight between the One Connect box and the device you want to command - instead of a line of sight between the remote and the device you want to command. This would seem more logical to me: why add the extra complication by using the remote to send the ir-signal?

I cannot be completely sure of this: the One Connect box commands my TV-provider's set top box. Both are next to eachother in the same cabinet, but behind cloth, so there almost always a direct line of sight to my remote too.

Here's my set up (Samsung QE65Q90):