Answered

Samsung Frame TV and Sonos audio

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hello - I recognize there’s been some discussion about this here, but not recently. I am favoring the purchase of a 2020 Samsung Frame TV. But, have seen quite a bit of discussion about audio / sync issues with this particular TV (and other Samsungs). I am wondering if there are any folks who can cite clean, issue-free audio using a playbar The Samsung frame. Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 1 April 2020, 15:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is there a 2020 Frame, or are you planning to buy a 2019 model?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

There are several new sizes for 2020 - I was looking at the 65 inch for 2020. However, as mentioned, there’s fair amount of commentary from Sonos owners about audio sync issues (with earlier model years).

Hello - I recognize there’s been some discussion about this here, but not recently. I am favoring the purchase of a 2020 Samsung Frame TV. But, have seen quite a bit of discussion about audio / sync issues with this particular TV (and other Samsungs). I am wondering if there are any folks who can cite clean, issue-free audio using a playbar The Samsung frame. Thanks in advance!

I don’t have a Frame, but have never had any sync issues between my Playbar and Samsung TV.

Userlevel 7

Hi @CarsonPlower 

The only way I’ve read to correct the problem for any TV is to send Audio direct from the source to the Playbar and Playbase via optical or HDMI to Beam and Sonos Amp. The video would be sent to TV via HDMI. *

You would need a device similar to the one in the link (HDMI/Optical Audio Extractor):

https://www.amazon.com/iArkPower-Optical-Extractor-Splitter-Supports/dp/B01K7BZ1XC/ref=sr_1_10?crid=9XNUBVPYQXCQ&dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+optical+audio+extractor&qid=1585746500&sprefix=hdmi+optical%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-10

* There is also a HDMI/Optical adapter available for Beam (included) and Sonos Amp (optional purchase) via Sonos.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

thanks - My plan WOULD be to use optical from Playbar to the new Frame TV. (Not switcher needed.) And separate HDMI to handle video. Typical set up. But my concern is the audio being out of sync, per discussion about Samsung Frame’s potential incompatibility with Sonos. 

So purchase one from the Sonos website. If you find there is an issue, and you can’t resolve it in the myriad ways that have been discussed, you can avail yourself of their rather generous return policy.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Well, I already have the playbar. It’s the TV that would be new - and not as easy to remove and return. Rather select a TV with a proven track record of compatibility...if there’s enough feedback these two pieces of equipment don’t play well together. 

Ah, I see. I was thinking backwards.

Do you have a retailer near you that would allow you to do some testing?

For me, if I was sold on the TV, I’d be willing to take the extra step, if necessary, to use an HDMI switch.  I would think it relatively easy to hide. 

I just don’t think there are enough users here who have purchased the 2020 model to be able to report one way or the other.

Userlevel 7

Well, I already have the playbar. It’s the TV that would be new - and not as easy to remove and return. Rather select a TV with a proven track record of compatibility...if there’s enough feedback these two pieces of equipment don’t play well together. 

@CarsonPlower

Ah...I see your conundrum :thinking:   I don’t know where you are located but if in the US; Best Buy and even Amazon (with purchase of Enhanced Delivery) allow returns. 

As a matter of point your comment below was not exactly accurate regarding setup.

thanks - My plan WOULD be to use optical from Playbar to the new Frame TV. (Not switcher needed.) And separate HDMI to handle video. Typical set up. But my concern is the audio being out of sync, per discussion about Samsung Frame’s potential incompatibility with Sonos. 

You would not be using a separate HDMI to handle video with a “typical setup”. You would be sending audio and video together over HDMI to the TV from a source such as a cable box. After data reaches the TV it then separates the audio to send it to the TV internal speakers or by direction in the audio menu to a soundbar over optical. 

The possible solution I mentioned if using more than one source (i.e. cable box, game station and video streaming service) would take the audio and video from the source(s) via HDMI and send audio to the Playbar and video to the TV. In that setup you WOULD have a separate HDMI video stream sans audio. 

If only one source (i.e. cable box) the audio could be sent direct to the Playbar over optical and the video to the TV. Thus eliminating audio being sent over optical from the TV and no additional signal processing. Note: If the cable box has HDMI and optical out (most do) then a switch would not be required.

I know it’s a bit convoluted at first but does make sense after some thought :thinking::relaxed:

Edit: My “Ah” and that of @Airgetlam’s was strictly coincidence :laughing:

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

yes, good point about the 2020 model not having enough feedback. 

I suppose I don’t mind the switch scenario if need be. But what’s the principle behind that solve? Somehow the audio is processed at a slightly different speed by adding the switch as an extra “go between element” and it tends to solve for the out of sync? appreciate your perspective. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@CarsonPlower

Ah...I see your conundrum :thinking:   I don’t know where you are located but if in the US; Best Buy and even Amazon (with purchase of Enhanced Delivery) allow returns. 

As a matter of point your comment below was not exactly accurate regarding setup.

You would not be using a separate HDMI to handle video with a “typical setup”. You would be sending audio and video together over HDMI to the TV from a source such as a cable box. After data reaches the TV it then separates the audio to send it to the TV internal speakers or by direction in the audio menu to a soundbar over optical. 

The possible solution I mentioned if using more than one source (i.e. cable box, game station and video streaming service) would take the audio and video from the source(s) via HDMI and send audio to the Playbar and video to the TV. In that setup you WOULD have a separate HDMI video stream sans audio. 

If only one source (i.e. cable box) the audio could be sent direct to the Playbar over optical and the video to the TV. Thus eliminating audio being sent over optical from the TV and no additional signal processing. Note: If the cable box has HDMI and optical out (most do) then a switch would not be required.

I know it’s a bit convoluted at first but does make sense after some thought :thinking::relaxed:

Ah, ok. I had re-read that a couple times to absorb it, but I believe I get it. Another potential solve. Thank you.

Userlevel 7

@CarsonPlower @Airgetlam 

I guess the “Ah’s” have decided :smile:

I suppose I don’t mind the switch scenario if need be. But what’s the principle behind that solve? Somehow the audio is processed at a slightly different speed by adding the switch as an extra “go between element” and it tends to solve for the out of sync? appreciate your perspective. 

The issue is that the audio in many Samsung’s (and others) is delayed by processing inside the TV before being passed through to the Digital output, varying between the HDMI-ARC and/or the optical output. The purpose of the HDMI switch is to pull the audio stream off of the signal before it gets to the TV set. So the TV’s electronics aren’t involved at all with the audio. 

We still don’t know if this particular Samsung has that issue, or not. You’d be the first test case willing to report, who knows if there are others. And my perception is that Samsung has indeed been aware of and working in this issue. I’d honestly be surprised if a 2020 TV still had this issue, but we don’t know until someone is able to post a definitive test case. A 2018 or 2019 Frame set may have completely different internal electronics, and different software managing the audio stream. I certainly don’t work for Samsung, nor am I familiar enough with their systems to know. But I am confident that the external HDMI switch would work. I’ve never seen anyone come back after being advised to try it to say it didn’t work. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

The issue is that the audio in many Samsung’s (and others) is delayed by processing inside the TV before being passed through to the Digital output, varying between the HDMI-ARC and/or the optical output. The purpose of the HDMI switch is to pull the audio stream off of the signal before it gets to the TV set. So the TV’s electronics aren’t involved at all with the audio. 

We still don’t know if this particular Samsung has that issue, or not. You’d be the first test case willing to report, who knows if there are others. And my perception is that Samsung has indeed been aware of and working in this issue. I’d honestly be surprised if a 2020 TV still had this issue, but we don’t know until someone is able to post a definitive test case. A 2018 or 2019 Frame set may have completely different internal electronics, and different software managing the audio stream. I certainly don’t work for Samsung, nor am I familiar enough with their systems to know. But I am confident that the external HDMI switch would work. I’ve never seen anyone come back after being advised to try it to say it didn’t work. 

Terrific explanation and rationale. Thanks again! If and when I go ahead with this model, I’ll report back. 

Badge +1

Can confirm, there is a Dolby Digital (DD) audio delay on the 2020 Samsung Frame.

Built in apps = fine

Virgin Media box in standard stereo (or PCM) = Fine

Virgin Media box playing a channel with DD = Problematic

I assume there is some issue going on with the One Connect box on the TV. 

Terribly frustrating.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Can you connect the s/pdif from the Virgin box directly to the Sonos device? That will remove the TV from the signal, and the delay too.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Can confirm, there is a Dolby Digital (DD) audio delay on the 2020 Samsung Frame.

Built in apps = fine

Virgin Media box in standard stereo (or PCM) = Fine

Virgin Media box playing a channel with DD = Problematic

I assume there is some issue going on with the One Connect box on the TV. 

Terribly frustrating.

agreed - must be extremely frustrating. Please keep us posted as to any solves you discover. 

I just hooked up a new Sonos Beam to a 2020 Samsung Frame TV with no problem. The Frame connects to the One Connect Box via a One Connect cable included with the TV. The Sonos Beam connects to the One Connect Box using the included usb cable. Sonos also includes an optical connector for the end of the USB so it can plug into the optical connection on the One Connect box so audio goes out the one connect box to the Sonos beam. Works fine with no lag. Only thing I haven’t set up yet is to use Samsung remote to change volume of Sonos. Right now I use the Sonos app. I was worried after reading all these comments but the new Sonos and Samsung work fine together. Whew. 

USB cable? Or HDMI cable?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I just hooked up a new Sonos Beam to a 2020 Samsung Frame TV with no problem. The Frame connects to the One Connect Box via a One Connect cable included with the TV. The Sonos Beam connects to the One Connect Box using the included usb cable. Sonos also includes an optical connector for the end of the USB so it can plug into the optical connection on the One Connect box so audio goes out the one connect box to the Sonos beam. Works fine with no lag. Only thing I haven’t set up yet is to use Samsung remote to change volume of Sonos. Right now I use the Sonos app. I was worried after reading all these comments but the new Sonos and Samsung work fine together. Whew. 

Excellent - glad to hear. Thanks for sharing. 

Hey @CarsonPlower did you end up going forward with the tv and have any feedback? I’m considering the 2020 75”. Thanks!

I recently purchased a Samsung Frame TV and currently have a sonos playbar connected via optical cable. When I spoke with Samsung they said the only way to control the volume with the remote is to use a HDMI port which isnt available on the playbar. If your considering a Samsung TV with Sonos just keep in mind you will need do a workaround HDMI Extractor or universal remote. I would suggest selecting another type of TV.

Hello, i juste baught a Frame 2020. I have a play-back.

i understand that i have to use the optical cable, but i understand that i won't be able to  change volume with the remonte control.

question : does anyone try to reduce volume of the sonos/tv by asking Alexa to do it ?

6 months ago, I purchased the Samsung Frame 65 and had the exact EARC issues listed above.  Last week I purchased the 75 inch Frame and the EARC works right out of the box.  It automatically recognized and connected the arc as well.  Both are 2020 models, not sure what has changed.  The 65 inch still has the issue.  Pic below shows EARC enabled and yes I can hear the awesome sound.

Badge +3

6 months ago, I purchased the Samsung Frame 65 and had the exact EARC issues listed above.  Last week I purchased the 75 inch Frame and the EARC works right out of the box.  It automatically recognized and connected the arc as well.  Both are 2020 models, not sure what has changed.  The 65 inch still has the issue.  Pic below shows EARC enabled and yes I can hear the awesome sound.

Will you update us if you get the 65” working? I was planning on buying a 65” 2020 Frame, but am hesitant since I just got a Sonos ARC.