Random static noise in rear channel Play 3s with Sonos 5.1 Playbar Setup

• 27 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

I have been dealing with seemingly random static/crackling on my rear channel Play 3s in my 5.1 setup (which also consists of a Playbar and Sub).

My Sonos system is running on Wifi via my Orbi Mesh network, not Sonosnet (switched it over a while back in an effort to address this problem and what seemed like communication issues between other Sonos components in our house--we have a lot.  Helped with the rest, but still get the random rear channel noise on the 5.1 setup.)  Our network is very fast and we have no other issues with it.

Most of what we watch is through Apple TV, either Apple content directly, Netflix, Prime, HBO Max, etc.  It happens randomly on all of these, but most consistently through Netflix.  Apple TV is set to output Dolby 5.1; I’ve adjusted these settings and it seems to make no difference.

Sound is passed through our TV (Sony XBR65X950H) with all the sound processing settings in the TV turned off, at least to my knowledge.

The problem seems to occur mostly at random, but more predictably when the rear channel sound is loud.  It is very annoying.  My guess it is interference in the communication between the Playbar and the rear Play 3s.  Not sure what to do about that, though.

Any ideas or potential fixes?

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @MikeElmendorf

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. To help you check why you're getting static noise with your rear speakers, I'll be requesting a diagnostic report submitted from your Sonos system. Please don't forget to include the confirmation number in your response to look into your system and find out the cause. We'll wait for your reply.

Please feel free to reach out if you have further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Badge +1

Thank you.  Submitted--#210668123.

Nothing was playing on the 5.1 system at the time; not sure if that makes a difference.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @MikeElmendorf,

Thanks for your response and for submitting the diagnostic.

Based on the report, wireless interference was detected in your Sonos system and it's caused by poor wireless conditions. Wireless interference can occur when two or more wireless devices compete for the same WiFi space. If this overlap is causing performance issues, it can be quickly resolved by finding the source of the interference. You can also find instructions on how to reduce wireless interference in our short video. Also, the report shows audio dropout due to sync errors and audio playback failure. This could be the reason why you're experiencing audio issues with your Sonos devices.

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue and see if it works for you.

Note: If you move your Sonos speaker to a new location or change its configuration (like making or separating a stereo pair), you should go through the Trueplay tuning process again to update its settings.

1. Remove surround from your Sonos home theater
    • Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
    • From the Settings tab, tap System.
    • Under Products, tap the home theater room where the surround speakers are located.
    • Select Remove Surrounds.
    • Follow the in-app prompts to remove the surrounds from this room.
    • Start playback on each of your Play 3 to test the audio
  2. Create a stereo pair
    • Open the Sonos app for iOS and Android.
    • From the  Settings tab, tap System.
    • Under Products, tap one of the speakers you’d like to use in your stereo pair.
    • Tap Set Up Stereo Pair (or Create Stereo Pair if using the Sonos S1 Controller) and follow the in-app instructions.
    • Start playback on to test the audio
  3. Separate stereo pair
    • Open the Sonos app for iOS and Android.
    • Under Products, tap the room with the stereo pair.
    • Tap Separate Stereo Pair and follow the in-app instructions.
  4. Add surround speakers to a Sonos home theater
    • Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
    • Under Products, tap the Sonos home theater room.
    • Tap Set up Surrounds.
    • Follow the in-app instructions to add your speakers as surrounds.
  5. Tune your Sonos speakers with Trueplay
    • After you tune your speaker, you can make further adjustments by changing your EQ settings. These settings are applied on top of the adjustments already made by Trueplay tuning.

If you still hear static noise with your rear speakers after performing the steps above, I'd recommend contacting our phone support team to help you out. Please let me know if you have any questions or other concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

Badge +1

Ok, that’s sort of a nonsensical response.  The issue is my 5.1 setup; the rear speakers are mounted on the wall and the playbar is mounted on the TV.  I can’t exactly move them.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @MikeElmendorf, thank you for your response. There’s no need to move your Sonos devices from their locations, you can perform the steps provided on the Sonos app. You may reach out to our phone support, they have the tool to remotely access your device to guide you with the troubleshooting steps. If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out.