Answered

Question regarding Beam optical to HDMI adapter

• 7 January 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I think I know the answer but I want to double check before spending more money. I am having some lip sync issues when connecting my sources via my Panasonic 902B TV to the ARC input of the beam. I have tried to connect my sources via optical directly to the Beam and that seams to sort some of the problems I am experiencing.

I have been looking at a toslink switch to connect the my optical TV out and the optical outputs of my xbox, PS4, etc directly to the Beam. Am I right to assume that I can connect the optical to hdmi adapter directly to the switch output just like I would with the optical out from my TV ? I assume that I can but I'd rather double check.
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 7 January 2019, 20:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Yes, you should be able to do that.

You've probably checked this, but did you try connecting your Beam directly to the xbox or PS4 already to make sure it resolves the sync issues? The tv is probably introducing the delay, but it doesn't hurt to make sure.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Yes I have tried it. It's definitely the TV introducing the issue. This seems to be a common problem with modern TVs. I don't know why they can't just pass the sound through. I suppose in an ideal world you would plug your sources into the Beam and then pass through the video from the Beam to the TV. That way there is no additional audio processing step introducing delay. At least that is how most other sounders tend to work. I love sonos, but I always feel that I have to fudge something when it comes to their soundbars. I know this isn't their fault but it is still very frustrating.
One thing that I think a lot of people may be overlooking is any "extras" that the TV is doing to the audio signal. Any time you add any additional things that are being done to the sound in the audio settings, you're adding a touch of extra time in order to do that processing....so the more you turn off in the TV's audio settings, the closer you can get to a straight unmolested pass through.

There's just too many "options" available in today's TVs to modify the sound field. Extra stereo, dialog enhancement, whatever it may be, it all adds a slight delay in order to do some processing.

But no, I don't think that solves all problems, either. It's frustrating, to be sure.
Userlevel 7
Hi Marc_51

I see this question asked quite often. This is not a solution but just my experience. I have two Playbars and a Beam and I don't have lip sync issues that can't be handled in the Sonos app (if need be).

_I have a Cable box, PS4 and AppleTV connected to a 2013 Smasung with Beam (sub/surrounds) via HDMI-ARC_No lip sync issue.*
_have a Cable box, Xbox One s and AppleTV connected to a 2018 LG with Playbar (sub/surrounds)_No lip sync issue.
_I have a Cable box and AppleTV connected to a 2008 Panasonic with Playbar (surrounds only)_No lip sync issue
* Previously the Beam (sub/surrounds) were connected to a 2012 Sony_No lip Sync issues

In my setup each peripheral is a assigned to an HDMI port or via a powered HDMI switch. I prefer powered switches as I have found that if you go cheap, you get cheap. :8

Color me lucky...I guess:?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
The problem with the Panasonic is that as soon as you select output to home cinema speaker you can make no adjustments to the audio processing at all. Clearly something is going on when DD is passed through. I have no lip sync issues when I set my PS4 and Xbox to output pcm but as soon as they output DD it’s game over. Also, the build in Netflix and Prime Video app output DD with no lip sync issues. The TV clearly has an issue processing DD from external sources. At least the Samsung’s let you adjust the audio latency both ways. Not sure why Panasonic couldn’t have introduced something similar in their higher end TVs.