Answered

PS5/SONOS ARC/X900. lpcm not loud enough

• 4 December 2020
  • 89 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 15 replies

Lpcm sound is considerably quieter than Dolby Digital plus 5.1 or other modes, annoying

Is that normal or not?

Or maybe work in progress?

Is lpcm the best option for my setup , gaming on ps5?

Thanks everyone for helping in advance

Peace 

Dawid

icon

Best answer by Rowena B. 8 December 2020, 21:03

View original

89 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@JiminLondon 

I don’t have that information.

Badge +1

@JiminLondon

I don’t have that information.

@Corry P That’s fine, but not really a productive answer for a premium product. Are you able to please pass on to the devs that this is indeed still an issue? Some kind of road map to the end of this issue, at least at a high level doesn’t seem like an unreasonable ask, does it folks? Let me know and I’ll set up a post to gain support/traction here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@JiminLondon 

It’s a work in progress. Unlike most, this feature was announced before work was finished. However, we purposely have not mentioned a time-scale as that induces more complaints if it’s not met. If I did have the information, it’s very likely that I would not be allowed to share it beforehand for this reason.

7.1 downmixing is currently being worked on, so there is no need for passing anything on, nor for starting new topics on the subject - we can already see the interest, in figures, and are already working to meet it. 

As soon as we are allowed to share the information, I will do so here - most likely when the update that contains the support for 7.1 downmixing is already out.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I got both xbsx and ps5 , tried that same games , streaming services etc,xbox is much much much louder when passing thru to sonos arc and also dolby atmos as well, the best i can get is dd plus 5.1 on ps5 which sound just fine -LPCM is a no no at the moment -they have to work on this sonos or sony , or both

peace 

DT

Badge +1

I got both xbsx and ps5 , tried that same games , streaming services etc,xbox is much much much louder when passing thru to sonos arc and also dolby atmos as well, the best i can get is dd plus 5.1 on ps5 which sound just fine -LPCM is a no no at the moment -they have to work on this sonos or sony , or both

peace 

DT

@Flaku Yes, my source is the Apple TV 4K (2021). I guess it doesn’t matter which source it is, the Sonos needs to know how to handle LPCM and downmix to 5.1 for 5.1 setups (which I suspect are most of them are). Some kind of compression or normalisation could be good if possible, so it can carry a bit more punch… but there could be technical limitations here.

It’s good to see from @Corry P that the issue is in hand and is being addressed. I also note that on the Apple side, there was actually a case logged to try and get DD 5.1 plus supported so that if people have their ATV’s hard coded to 5.1 (to avoid the current crappy LPCM sound on the Arc), at least they will also get Atmos … but I don’t think this really went anywhere with Apple. Maybe Sonos can raise it to them? If the downmixing thing is fixed by Sonos and LPCM sounds better, there won’t really need to be a need for Apple to fix that….but you would think they would want to pass the best possible DD 5.1 for that setting.

Anyway, I’ll patiently wait and hopefully not for too many months more!

I have the PS5, ARC, and 900H as well. After reading the thread I still can’t tell the best setting to use at the current moment (until more updates hit). Beside lcpm needing higher volumes is it still the best sound?  For 4K blu rays with dtsx tracks does anyone have the current optimal setting?  I only get 5.1 DD+ if I turn OFF my eArc and just use ARC pass through which I find odd. 

Userlevel 7

I have the PS5, ARC, and 900H as well. After reading the thread I still can’t tell the best setting to use at the current moment (until more updates hit). Beside lcpm needing higher volumes is it still the best sound?  For 4K blu rays with dtsx tracks does anyone have the current optimal setting?  I only get 5.1 DD+ if I turn OFF my eArc and just use ARC pass through which I find odd. 

For DTS-encoded Blu-rays, turn eARC on and set the PS5 audio format to Linear PCM so the Arc will play DTS audio as multichannel PCM 5.1/7.1.

For DTS-encoded Blu-rays, turn eARC on and set the PS5 audio format to Linear PCM so the Arc will play DTS audio as multichannel PCM 5.1/7.1.

Awesome. Thanks for the confirmation! That is what I have been doing. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

For example if i want use DD 5.1 Plus on ps5 i have to switch off earc in tv settings , look strange for me 

Anyone else experience that ?

Thanks in Advance 

DT

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Lpcm sound is considerably quieter than Dolby Digital plus 5.1 or other modes, annoying

Is that normal or not?

Or maybe work in progress?

Is lpcm the best option for my setup , gaming on ps5?

Thanks everyone for helping in advance

Peace 

Dawid

It looks like it is common question, can we get this fixed/adressed please 

My xbox series x , playbar play much much louder where there is no ps5 in the equation

Peace

DT 

Is there any update on the LPCM issue?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

DTS sounds louder than LPCM

Userlevel 7

When watching DTS-encoded Blu-ray discs, which sounds better to your ears? DTS Digital Surround or multichannel PCM?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

When watching DTS-encoded Blu-ray discs, which sounds better to your ears? DTS Digital Surround or multichannel PCM?

DTS sounds more better than LPCM , LPCM sound more subdued on the arc.