Answered

PS5/SONOS ARC/X900. lpcm not loud enough

Show first post

126 replies

This is happening to me too, LPCM is not loud enough/doesn’t sound right on PS5- I’ve been waiting for this to be fixed for weeks now. Using BitStream Dolby Digital at the moment.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I’ve got to say when Sonos implemented LPCM I tried it out via my Xbox series x and noticed it to be not load enough. So I reverted back to bitstream.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Adding myself here.

Set up is X900H, PS5, Sonos Arc.

eARC set to auto on the tv with pass through on auto as well.

Played for about a week with LPCM enabled, verified through Sonos app that multi channel  lpcm 7.1 was received, but felt like something was a bit off… Tried Bitstream Dolby on the PS5 just now and the sound is just much fuller, louder, nicer. Depicts a more complete picture.

Please fix LPCM to send/receive 5.1 to match the Arc capabilities.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi All.

Sonos currently only supports 5.1 multichannel LCPM, though we are currently working on supporting 7.1 - by downmixing to 5.1, not full 7.1 reproduction. So right now, 7.1 LPCM is not supported and your sources should be set to 5.1 LPCM, where possible, or Dolby Digital 5.1 (or DD+ for Atmos).

In time (I have no details to share as to when), 7.1 LPCM will be downmixed to 5.1.0 on the Arc.

Differing content can often be mastered to different volume levels, and when a change in encoding is involved, this is even more likely as the sound track will be adjusted to best fit the parameters and abilities of the codec. Technically, however, LPCM isn’t a codec (it’s uncompressed) and is in fact how all digital equipment handles sound internally - at some point, regardless of any formats/codecs/channels being used, everything is converted to LPCM before being passed to the digital amplifiers inside all Sonos speakers/Amps. Included in the decoding process of Dolby Digital and Atmos to LPCM is a volume boost/range compression. As LPCM isn’t processed (decompressed) like a codec, there isn’t the same opportunity for this to happen. When LPCM is played, you get the closest to the original track possible - the data on the source is relayed directly to the amplifier after mixing.

Therefore, varying volume levels are normal, or they may be an artifact of 7.1 currently being mishandled.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi All.

Sonos currently only supports 5.1 multichannel LCPM, though we are currently working on supporting 7.1 - downmixing to 5.1, not full 7.1 reproduction. So right now, 7.1 LPCM is not supported and your sources should be set to 5.1 LPCM, where possible, or Dolby Digital 5.1 (or DD+ for Atmos).

In time (I have no details to share as to when), 7.1 LPCM will be downmixed to 5.1.0 on the Arc.

Differing content can often be mastered to different volume levels, and when a change in encoding is involved, this is even more likely as the sound track will be adjusted to best fit the parameters and abilities of the codec. Technically, however, LPCM isn’t a codec (it’s uncompressed) and is in fact how all digital equipment handles sound internally - at some point, regardless of any formats/codecs/channels being used, everything is converted to LPCM before being passed to the digital amplifiers inside all Sonos speakers/Amps. Included in the decoding process of Dolby Digital and Atmos to LPCM is a volume boost/range compression. As LPCM isn’t processed (decompressed) like a codec, there isn’t the same opportunity for this to happen. When LPCM is played, you get the closest to the original track possible - the data on the source is relayed directly to the amplifier after mixing.

Therefore, varying volume levels are normal, or they may be an artifact of 7.1 currently being mishandled.

Thanks a lot for the nice write up and update.

Looking forward to seeing this resolved.

Hi All.

Sonos currently only supports 5.1 multichannel LCPM, though we are currently working on supporting 7.1 - downmixing to 5.1, not full 7.1 reproduction. So right now, 7.1 LPCM is not supported and your sources should be set to 5.1 LPCM, where possible, or Dolby Digital 5.1 (or DD+ for Atmos).

Thanks a lot for the nice write up and update.

Looking forward to seeing this resolved.

So for now, should i set my ps5 to bitstream (dolby) with 5.1 for gaming? I have a lgc9 set up with my arc and 2 play one’s plus a sub. My tv is would then be set to bitstream and pasthrough for the audio settings. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi All.

Sonos currently only supports 5.1 multichannel LCPM, though we are currently working on supporting 7.1 - by downmixing to 5.1, not full 7.1 reproduction. So right now, 7.1 LPCM is not supported and your sources should be set to 5.1 LPCM, where possible, or Dolby Digital 5.1 (or DD+ for Atmos).

This mostly makes sense - except that it doesn’t explain why if you are starting with a 5.1 source it would still sound quiet, as then no conversion from 7.1 to 5.1 is even happening.  I can experiment with a few sources.  And while I would grant there is variability across sources, I think the low volume problem is pretty consistent across the board, hence this thread.

Just got my Arc yesterday and also interested in the topic (and the upcoming updates). For now, will keep it to Bitstream (Dolby) on the PS5. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

So for now, should i set my ps5 to bitstream (dolby) with 5.1 for gaming? I have a lgc9 set up with my arc and 2 play one’s plus a sub. My tv is would then be set to bitstream and pasthrough for the audio settings. 

@Grynn. Yes, unless you can select 5.1 sound with LPCM on your PS5.

This mostly makes sense - except that it doesn’t explain why if you are starting with a 5.1 source it would still sound quiet, as then no conversion from 7.1 to 5.1 is even happening.  I can experiment with a few sources.  And while I would grant there is variability across sources, I think the low volume problem is pretty consistent across the board, hence this thread.

@Snorf. All I can say is if it’s currently unsupported, expect anything (that you get sound at all is more than I would have expected). If this still happens once we do support 7.1 LPCM, then it’s likely due to the technicalities explained above, and perhaps a feature will be added or a change made that addresses the issue.

Badge

Hi there :)

I am having more or less the same issues with my PS5.

TV: Samsung RU7090 65”

Sonos system: Arc + 2 Synfonisk as rear speakers (I hope I will get the Sub soon!)

The Arc is linked to TV via HDMI 3 ARC slot. When I set PS5 audio to LPCM (settings: AV Receiver, 5.1channels), the sound is stereo only, and if I check my TV settings the audio is set to PCM and I cannot select Dolby or Dolby+ options. The Sonos app too tells me that the source is Stereo PCM. 

If I change the sound to Dolby on the PS5, I get an actual surround with louder sound, and the app says I’m in Dolby 5.1. The TV settings are now changed to Dolby (not Dolby+).

If I open the TV’s Netflix app, I can get Atmos with some tvshows (The Witcher), and the TV settings changes to Dolby+. The Sonos App tells me I’m in Atmos mode (cool!)

Do you think I can change something within the PS5 (or else) to get actual surround with LPCM settings or do I have to stick with Dolby? I have no issues with Dolby sound, except for a very subtle delay with the sound, noticeable for example during cutscenes with dialogues.

Thanks! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @giandoblues 

Do you think I can change something within the PS5 (or else) to get actual surround with LPCM settings or do I have to stick with Dolby? I have no issues with Dolby sound, except for a very subtle delay with the sound, noticeable for example during cutscenes with dialogues.

I advise you stick with Dolby 5.1 output on the PS5 until we support downmixing of LPCM 7.1 tracks on the Arc, and I imagine lip-sync during a game cutscene has more to do with the game engine than delays induced by your hardware (if you don’t notice it elsewhere - playing a movie on the PS5 would be the best test). I’ve certainly noticed it on PC games in the past.

Badge

Bump.  Same **** here. Lpcm is borked

*Moderation note: removed offensive language*

Badge

Hi @giandoblues 

I advise you stick with Dolby 5.1 output on the PS5 until we support downmixing of LPCM 7.1 tracks on the Arc, and I imagine lip-sync during a game cutscene has more to do with the game engine than delays induced by your hardware (if you don’t notice it elsewhere - playing a movie on the PS5 would be the best test). I’ve certainly noticed it on PC games in the past.

Thanks!

I am sticking with Dolby 5.1, and it is fine; regarding the delay, I can hear it also when scrolling in the interface of PlayStation, so it is not an issue of the game engine, it is a “global” situation that happens during the whole experience. Nevertheless, I am already used to it, but I really look forward for a fix!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @giandoblues 

I am sticking with Dolby 5.1, and it is fine; regarding the delay, I can hear it also when scrolling in the interface of PlayStation, so it is not an issue of the game engine, it is a “global” situation that happens during the whole experience. Nevertheless, I am already used to it, but I really look forward for a fix!!

Sonos Home Theatre products play TV audio as soon as they get it - it’s up to the XBox to make sure video and audio are synced in the first place, but it is also the TV’s job to keep them in sync. If you check your TV’s sound settings, there’ll be an option along the lines of Digital Audio Output Format (usually, any one of these words will be missing which is weird because with any three of them, it still makes sense) - try changing this to Passthrough or Bitstream. Hopefully, one of those settings will help.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Will users get a notification from Sonos when lpcm 7.1 become available?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Generalzod 

Will users get a notification from Sonos when lpcm 7.1 become available?

I’m afraid not - but we’re sure to mention it here on the Community.

I’m afraid not - but we’re sure to mention it here on the Community.

But I’m guessing it will be listed in the update notes in the Sonos app, so we’ll know that a particular update should fix the issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ozthegweat 

I’m not sure where you’re referring to in the app, but it would be listed in our Release notes for Sonos S2 page.

@Corry P 

I was referring to the description of a Sonos device update within the iOS app before installing it (not the Sonos app release notes in the iOS App Store). But it looks like said description is the same as the notes in the link you just posted (at least that was the case for the last update).

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@ozthegweat 

Ah - I understand now. I was just looking in the app wondering where you had seen it. Yes, I presume that it would be mentioned there (not everything is mentioned, but enough people are interested that we’d include it in the notes).

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Snorf. All I can say is if it’s currently unsupported, expect anything (that you get sound at all is more than I would have expected). If this still happens once we do support 7.1 LPCM, then it’s likely due to the technicalities explained above, and perhaps a feature will be added or a change made that addresses the issue.

This is a pretty disappointing response. I understand that LPCM 7.1 is not supported, but LPCM 5.1 is supported. If sending a 5.1 LPCM signal, there should be no down-mixing required.

If LPCM 5.1 is not supported, then what functionality was actually released in the 12.2 release 7 months ago?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jkossis 

This is a pretty disappointing response. I understand that LPCM 7.1 is not supported, but LPCM 5.1 is supported. If sending a 5.1 LPCM signal, there should be no down-mixing required.

If LPCM 5.1 is not supported, then what functionality was actually released in the 12.2 release 7 months ago?

5.1 Multichannel LPCM is supported on the Arc, and you are correct - if a 5.1 LPCM stream is sent to the Arc, there won’t be any downmixing. I think I must have mis-read @Snorf’s question. In general, LPCM will be quieter than Dolby Digital (for example) as there’s less processing happening, as the normal stage in which processing is done will be skipped altogether.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @jkossis 

5.1 Multichannel LPCM is supported on the Arc, and you are correct - if a 5.1 LPCM stream is sent to the Arc, there won’t be any downmixing. I think I must have mis-read @Snorf’s question. In general, LPCM will be quieter than Dolby Digital (for example) as there’s less processing happening, as the normal stage in which processing is done will be skipped altogether.

What are you basing your statement that LPCM will be quieter than Dolby Digital off of? If anything, LPCM is more likely to have greater depth/fullness/loudness, as it is a lossless format (Dolby Digital is lossy).

It feels like Sonos is trying to justify their rushed, incomplete, and poor LPCM implementation with information that is simply not true.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jkossis 

What are you basing your statement that LPCM will be quieter than Dolby Digital off of? If anything, LPCM is more likely to have greater depth/fullness/loudness, as it is a lossless format (Dolby Digital is lossy).

As I stated: 

You are correct - LPCM from the source will have greater depth (dynamic range), which is exactly why it sounds quieter - there’s less compression. This has nothing to do with algorithmic data compression, but auditory dynamic range compression instead. With less compression there is a greater range in volume level between something quiet and something loud. A cinema would not dream of compressing this range, but watching movies at home is a different matter. When there is no compression, you’ll need to turn up the volume to hear quiet vocals, and then explosions are really loud - something a cinema desires, rather than tries to avoid.

I did say “in general”. There’s no technicality that says LPCM is quieter compared to other formats - I’m just saying that it’s something you’re likely to perceive, as opposed to the opposite.

Any update in this one?

I have the same issues.

When i use Plex or Netflix for example on the ps5 i almost have to put my Donos setupinstructies on max volume.

When i use Plex or Netflix directly on my tv the sound quality via the Arc, Sub and One’s is great and loud!

plz fix this!