Proposed Sonos 5.1 HT system

• 13 May 2017
  • 4 replies

I keep seeing two issues that prompted this thread:
1. The Sonos solution for HT is not as good for 2 channel music as a dedicated to music Sonos system can be
2. Dialogue is too low to be easily heard if the effects are to be kept at neighbour friendly and retaining hearing ability levels, even after using all that Sonos offers to deal with this issue.
Therefore:
Why not go the whole way with a dedicated to dialogue centre speaker with its own volume control slider? With the 5.1 decoder in that box. With the Sub and a 1 pair each for front L/R and surround, that would then be a genuine 5.1 system, that would also work better for stereo music in stereo mode with just the front speaker pair playing, with the Sub for bass support - a genuine 2.1 system for music with the required stereo sound stage and imaging when only music is being played.

IMO, releasing a center speaker that allows for doing just this would have be been a more useful alternative to play bar than the recently released play base. The customer could choose any of the existing play units for front speaker duty and if the Sub was to be bought, the front pair too could be just play 1 units. This would still be a no compromises HT system, and equally brilliant for music. While those willing to live with a little less or desiring more simple would go the play bar + Sub route.

The only thing that would then remain as issues would be those related to the format alphabet soup/TV compatibility that afflicts HT in general. That one is too complex for me!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I understand what you're getting at, but I have a hard time seeing a center channel speaker selling very well, simply because people don't seem to be very interested in that sort of system anymore. Despite the fact that a soundbar system isn't as effective as a left, right, and center setup, people are opting for the soundbar option. I would guess because that means you have to find two additional locations to place speakers in your HT room.

If you're like me, and maybe most people, you don't have a dedicated HT room, it's also your family room. The left front area is the door to the master bedroom, and right front is the entry way to other bedrooms. The tv is mounted above the fireplace with a PLAYBAR sitting on the mantle. If I went with your option, I'd struggle to find a way to put in the front speakers and power them in a way that doesn't look crappy. If I could use a connect amp to power the speakers in wall, that could work, but that's not easy and then I have a system with part in-wall and part bookshelf speakers. Why not get a connect/receiver and all passive speakers if I want to do that?

Besides that, how exactly does this new center speaker work marketing wise? What do you price it at? If it's essentially the same as a play 1, it's $200. So if you're left and right are also play 1, then it's a total of $600...$100 less than the playbar or playbase. I imagine their profit margin is less that way as well. If they bumped up the price to $300, well, they are sort of overpricing it since the center speaker doesn't need to do much. Then again, if they price it at $200 or less, maybe customers are tempted to buy play 3s or 5s as the front speakers.

Instead of creating a brand new center channel product, would it make more sense to allow a HT configuration where you add front speakers? Maybe have the playbar dedicate more to dialog like a center channel. This would be cheaper for Sonos to do I imagine, and satisfy some of the higher end customers while still keeping it simple. It would cost more for the whole system sure, but if it matters that much to you, would you do it?

While I'm dreaming, I think I would rather Sonos look into adding additional surround speakers to the HT setup for 7 speaker sound. I might be interested in that.
you don't have a dedicated HT room

Instead of creating a brand new center channel product, would it make more sense to allow a HT configuration where you add front speakers? Maybe have the playbar dedicate more to dialog like a center channel.

Actually I have a dedicated HT room, but I haven't installed more than a stereo amp and 2 quality front speakers for sound from a 55 inch plasma screen! I find that this suffices for all my needs for sound for movies. And this is the one room with no Sonos product in it.

What you are suggesting is exactly what I have proposed - I have only suggested a play bar that has the left/right speakers stripped out of it because I suspect they will conflict with the front speakers if that is not done. What that leaves is the centre speaker that can then be better managed for clearer/louder dialogues where needed, and the decoding electronics to send the necessary signals to the rest of the speakers including the front left/right ones. No play bar also because the compromises it makes will not be required any more.
If sonos would develop a dedicated center channel/5.1 processor unit that would allow for the use of play(X) for main and rear speakers, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Even at the price point of the current playbar it would be a good value. You are really paying for the sonos integration, and a decent 5.1 processor all built into a single forward firing speaker. Something similar in size to the playbar in a nice 2 way ported design. auto sensing HDMI and fiber input, and would allow for independent volume control between the main speakers.
I really thought Sonos would wake up to adding front surrounds speakers by now. With option for Play 1, 3 or 5 at front L and R.. Christmas 2018 is blowing by with very little change for HT. Beam can't handle large rooms, and all this talking stuff is baloney. Are people really that lonely? Ha!

5.1 true surround with Playbar plus front L and R. And add to that, 7.1 with side speakers. This would put Sonos at the head of the pack. I guess they dont get it? Or maybe their architecture can't get there? That would be sad ....