Problems Connect Amp and Soundbar

• 1 December 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi there,

I would appreciate some guidance on how I could sort out a number of problems with my Sonos system.  Around 9 years ago I installed 4 No connect amps driving 4 pairs of ceiling speakers in 4 different rooms.  Around 5 years ago I added a soundbar and used this with the connect amp/pair of speakers in the living room to provide TV surround sound (this was never very successful). The system is currently running off the S1 App on an IPad.  I have the following problems:

1.  A while ago the soundbar stopped working with the TV (Panasonic TX-50CX680B), I now rely on just the TVs speakers
  2. This has resulted in that I am unable to use the ceiling speakers in the living room, sound only comes from the soundbar
  3. We have now just lost connection to the connect amp/ceiling speakers in another room (no sound)

I am struggling to find a way of sorting this out.  It maybe better to disconnect/reset the whole system and then run through the set up as if it was a new system.  Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Please note I am in my 60s and that not computer literate

Thanks Mark

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @Mark_Bad.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community! 

Let me see what I can do to help you.

Kindly submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app using your iPad, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd start by reviewing your system and go from there, to see what’s going on. 

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Hi Annazel S.

I have just submitted a diagnostic, the confirmation number is 61486772

Thanks for your help

Mark_Bad

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Mark_Bad.

Thanks for your response.

I see on the diagnostic report that the WiFi interface of the Playbar (soundbar) is disabled and that is the reason why the Connect: Amp dropped as surround speakers because they are bonded as surround using the WiFi from the Sonos soundbar.

Try to enable the WiFi by following these steps:

• In the Sonos app, tap the Settings tab and select System.
  • Tap the name of the room, then tap the model of the speaker under Products. (Playbar)
  • From here, you can choose Disable WiFi or Enable WiFi.
  • The app will show which is currently selected with a checkmark.

Then, you may need to re-add the surround back, this article will show you how to add surround speakers to your Sonos home theater for surround sound. 

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report so I can check the system further and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Please keep  me posted.

Hi Annazel S,

I have followed the above instructions and still have ongoing problems.  I have submitted a further diagnostics report, No 996699850.  I have 4 issues.

1.  I would like to separate the Living Room speakers from the Soundbar.  After following your instructions sound in the Living Room still just comes through the Soundbar and not the ceiling speakers.  We would like to have these separated so we can use  them either separate or together.  We tried to add surround speakers but could not find the Sonos WiFi indicated in the instructions.  As these were never very successful when they were working we would like to just have the Soundbar and Living Room Connect Amp working separately with a separate listing in the App.  Could you please provide instructions how this can be achieved.
  2. I have been successful in reconnecting the Kitchen Connect Amp which had gone missing.  I achieved this by providing a Ethernet cable from the router to this Connect Amp.  However, I have now lost the Connect Amp and ceding speakers to the Study.  This has an Ethernet cable from the amp to the router.  This was there for while after reconnecting the Living Room, but has now disappeared.  This was after a period when I was unable to connect to the Sonos.
  3. In the room listing under System the Master Bedroom Connect Amp appears twice.  How do we remove the duplicate?
  4. Finally we regularly get the problem that the Sonos app on the IPad is unresponsive, with the message “unable to connect to Sonos” appearing.  Placing the IPad next to the router makes no difference.  Any idea why this could be?  This has been an infrequent problem for many months.

Your assistance with sorting these ongoing problems would be appreciated

Thanks Mark_Bad

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Mark_Bad.

Thanks for the very detailed response and my apologies for the delayed reply.

1. Upon checking on the diagnostic report, I see that the soundbar (Playbar) is named as ‘Living Room’ with no surrounds or Connect: Amps bonded on it. Therefore I can verify that it is separated from any Sonos Products.
  2. There are errors detected from your system that results in audio issues and dropped/missing rooms. This condition is often caused by wireless interference that can occur when two or more wireless devices compete for the same WiFi space. Please refer to this article that will help you reduce wireless interference around your Sonos products.
  3. There are 2 Connect: Amps that are both named as ‘Master Bedroom’ and I think product naming can cause confusion sometimes. You can customize the name of your Sonos product or choose from the suggested Room Names on the app:  Sonos app > Settings > System > Products > Room  
  4. If you're seeing this message “unable to connect to Sonos”, it means that the Sonos app is having trouble connecting to your Sonos products. This article provides some steps to follow to get your app reconnected to your Sonos system.

Hopefully, that helps, but if not, it might be best if you can give us a call and work with a technician live, they'll start with checking your system health and go from there. They have resources available for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the controller to see what's going on.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out.

Thanks Annazel S,

I have worked through your response and the one key issue that remains is that the Soundbar does not connect to the TV.  This stopped working a few months back and I am struggling to know how to try and get this to reconnect.  The obvious way would be to go through the set up procedure again, but I cannot use the add a product feature as the Soundbar is already part of the system.  Is there a way I can remove the Soundbar from the system and then go through the set procedure as if I was installing the Soundbar for the first time? Or is there an alternative procedure I can follow?

Of course the issue could be with the TV or the optical cable, I have checked for any kinks in the cable, but is there anything else I could do or check if reinstalling the Soundbar fails?

Thanks for your help

Mark_Bad

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Mark_Bad.

Thanks for your response and my sincerest apologies for the delayed response time.

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps that you did, and I’d be glad to look into this further.

We don’t usually suggest doing a reset of factory settings, for this process will delete registration information, content saved to My Sonos, and music services. Resetting all products within your system will permanently delete your system’s data. It cannot be restored.

• We need to ensure that the "TV" is selected in the app and TV AutoPlay is toggled on. Sonos app > Settings > System > Home theater component name > TV Autoplay
  • Kindly verify that the Home Theater setup is able to play music from the Sonos app.
  • Check for firmware updates on both the TV and Sonos app. Install any available updates.

If Sonos home theater product does not output sound, please refer to this article that covers why your Sonos home theater product may not output audio when your TV is playing from specific sources like a game console or a streaming service.

To check some data from your system, while the TV is On please send in a new diagnostic report through the Sonos app and reply with the confirmation number, so I can check it further.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.