Problem adding surrounds to Beam

• 12 November 2020
  • 69 replies

Trying at add a pair of Symfonisk bookshelf speakers as surrounds to my Beam. I set them up and confirmed they were working individually. Then I tried adding them as surrounds.

I go thru the setup and it fails saying “There is a problem adding your surrounds. Check the network connection and make sure your products are powered on. Try again.” They are powered on and network is working fine (could play music up until starting the setup).

Pressing “Try again” instantly gets the same error. If I exit the setup, the Living Room (where the Beam is) now says “Living Room (+?+?)” and I have “Remove Surrounds” in the rooms menu. I tried playing something in 5.1 but no sound is coming from them. The 2 Symfonisks are also now gone from my system and I need to factory reset them to get them to appear in the app again.

How do I setup the surrounds properly without error?

69 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ngkay.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue, let me help and try to figure this out.

To better understand what's happening, kindly reproduce the issue then submit a diagnostic through the Sonos app and reply with the confirmation number, I'd start by reviewing your system to see if there's anything that might cause this issue.

For reference, you may also check this article that provides guidelines and limitations of surround speakers in a Sonos home theater setup.

Please let us know if there’s anything else that we can do and we’d be glad to help.

Hi Annazel,

I’ve submitted a diagnostic report thru the app. The confirmation number is: 2093986029.

Thanks

Please let me know if you find a resolution. I just bought 2x SONOS One SL’s and am having the same exact issue as you. Tried factory-resetting and re-configuring probably 5+ times now and its always the same issue. No dice on setting them up as a “stereo pair” either; same error message and problem occurs.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ Kamber.

Thanks for reaching out and for your detailed post, let me help and try to figure this out.

Kindly reproduce the issue, then submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system as well as the status of the devices, it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

Knowing how and through what Sonos is connecting is the great foundation to troubleshooting this 

successfully.

• May I have the make and model number of any wireless router and/or Access Point that exist on the network? It’s best if we can check any known issue or if there’s an additional configuration needed on the device that is essential for Sonos.

• Please indicate also how these devices are connected to one another (wired or wireless).

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ngkay.

Thanks for your response and effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, there are components missing from your system which is the 2 Symfonisk Shelf. If removing and re-adding the surrounds doesn’t help, then knowing how and through what Sonos is connecting is the great foundation to troubleshooting this successfully.

• May I have the make and model number of any wireless router and/or Access Point that exist on the network? It’s best if we can check any known issue or if there’s an additional configuration needed on the device that is essential for Sonos.

• Please indicate also how these devices are connected to one another (wired or wireless).

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Hi I'm having the exact same problem, as the people above the there's always problem and when i come out of the setup menu it says they are paired up as rear surround sound but don't work. here is the diagnostics number 1409396970, i hope this can be sorted 

Hi I'm having the exact same problem, as the people above the there's always problem and when i come out of the setup menu it says they are paired up as rear surround sound but don't work. here is the diagnostics number 1409396970, i hope this can be sorted 

If the system is telling you that rear surrounds have been added then it clearly isn't  exactly the same problem but a completely different problem.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hello. Just had the same issue yesterday with a Beam and two Play 1s. I had accidentally unplugged one of them. I was able to fix it pretty quickly. I removed the question surrounds from the Beam, did a missing product search, which worked for one, the other I did an add new product using the buttons to do so and it popped up right away then readded them back to the Beam. Hope that works for you. 

Hi

I am having the same issue, unable to connect two One SL as surrounds to a Beam

Diagnostic number is 694753993

I should add the surround sound works playing music but not when watching tv, even though the Beam is the default sound output

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

They are dependent on receiving a signal from the tv. Are you sending a Dolby Digital 5.x signal to the Beam?

Trying at add a pair of Symfonisk bookshelf speakers as surrounds to my Beam. I set them up and confirmed they were working individually. Then I tried adding them as surrounds.

I go thru the setup and it fails saying “There is a problem adding your surrounds. Check the network connection and make sure your products are powered on. Try again.” They are powered on and network is working fine (could play music up until starting the setup).

Pressing “Try again” instantly gets the same error. If I exit the setup, the Living Room (where the Beam is) now says “Living Room (+?+?)” and I have “Remove Surrounds” in the rooms menu. I tried playing something in 5.1 but no sound is coming from them. The 2 Symfonisks are also now gone from my system and I need to factory reset them to get them to appear in the app again.

How do I setup the surrounds properly without error?

I am having the exact same issue. Everything was working perfect until I unplugged and moved speaker temporarily. Went through and made sure I had them all connected on same network. They just don't seem to be able to communicate with each other.  Worked fine yesterday. 

Not sure if this will work for you, but I was having exactly the same problem. I had factory reset multiple times, even swapped out my upstairs Sonos One for the one in the lounge and kept getting the same message.

I got the fail message again with only the right channel added and the left one missing. Turned off my router, turned it back in again and then everything worked again, didn't even have to try to connect surrounds again was already done.

Far from technically knowledgeable but guessing an IP assignment problem from router and the reboot fixed it straight away.

I’ve got the same issue. Tried to add my play 1s, get the error that they can’t be added to check network connection but then they show up beam (?+?) if I remove them then I have to factory reset to add them again and get the same error when I try to add as surround. Diagnostic number 2104789582

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Jadegirl, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thanks for sending that diagnostic over - looks like you’re using a mesh network is that correct? As these can sometimes cause issues when setting up surrounds, would it be possible to try adding the surrounds with the Beam connected to the network via Ethernet cable?

Let us know how you get on :)

Hi @Jadegirl, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thanks for sending that diagnostic over - looks like you’re using a mesh network is that correct? As these can sometimes cause issues when setting up surrounds, would it be possible to try adding the surrounds with the Beam connected to the network via Ethernet cable?

Yes that worked. Thanks

Hi @Jadegirl, welcome to the Sonos Community!

It took me a while to find this thread. I have the exact same issue with a Netgear WAC564 accesspoint. When the Beam is connected through ethernet surround works. Buy as soon as I disconnect ethernet they’re not recognised anymore and schoen as “Living room +?+?". This is unacceptable, because I cannot have a permanent ethernet connetion on the Beam. 

So, are you saying that with my current networks setup I won’t be able tot use the Beam + 2 One’s as surround on wifi?

I experienced the same frustration today, both with the issue at hand, connecting two Sonos One speakers as surrounds to my Arc, and with the poor support responses. “Send us diagnostics”, “tell us about your router”, “it’s probably your WiFi” etc etc. continually avoiding addressing the issue by seeking more and more info.  (Please don’t waste the energy defending this, it’s poor support in my opinion). 

The solution I found was as follows. The arc was cable, the Ones were WiFi. I disabled WiFi on the Ones, moved them to the router and connected them via cable to the router.  When I tried adding surrounds on the app, this time, the surrounds setup worked perfectly and the Sonos app added the the Ones to the Arc , I then powered down the Ones, disconnected the cable, moved them back into position and reconnected wifi when I powered therm back up, they remained successfully connected to the arc as surround speakers.

hope this helps someone 

I’m having the same problem adding my One’s to my ARC for surround. Just started this morning after I added a new mesh network yesterday. 

I'm having this problem as well. I have a Beam and 2 Symfonisk bookshelfs from Ikea. For some reason, in the past couple of days one of my speakers stop connecting. I went through the steps to disconnect the speakers as surrounds. I factory reset both, reconnected both and tried to set them back up as surrounds. Just like the OP, "I go thru the setup and it fails saying “There is a problem adding your surrounds. Check the network connection and make sure your products are powered on. Try again.” They are powered on and network is working fine (could play music up until starting the setup).

Pressing “Try again” instantly gets the same error. If I exit the setup, the Living Room (where the Beam is) now says “Living Room (+?+?)” and I have “Remove Surrounds” in the rooms menu."

My diagnostic number is 1549769071

@iancooper7, have you perhaps tried power-cycling the Beam and fully closing/reopening the Sonos App to see if that fixes the issue?

While you wait for a Sonos rep to look at your diagnostic, I’d try two things. 

First, check your Beam to be sure that the radio/WiFi hasn’t been turned off in the room’s settings. It should be ON. 

Second, unplug all Sonos devices from power, and while they’re unplugged, reboot your router. Once the comes back up, after a minute or so, plug the Sonos back in, wait a couple of minutes, then try to re-add the surrounds.

If neither of those potentials solve the issue, it might be helpful to know the make and model of your router, too. 

While you wait for a Sonos rep to look at your diagnostic, I’d try two things. 

First, check your Beam to be sure that the radio/WiFi hasn’t been turned off in the room’s settings. It should be ON. 

Second, unplug all Sonos devices from power, and while they’re unplugged, reboot your router. Once the comes back up, after a minute or so, plug the Sonos back in, wait a couple of minutes, then try to re-add the surrounds.

If neither of those potentials solve the issue, it might be helpful to know the make and model of your router, too. 

Ok, I tried to do what you suggested, but the same thing is still happening. My router is a Netgear Nighthawk MR60 mesh with one MS60 satellite.

Ok, I tried to do what you suggested, but the same thing is still happening. My router is a Netgear Nighthawk MR60 mesh with one MS60 satellite.

If your router has ‘QOS’ enabled, then see if switching that off resolves the matter.

If your router has ‘QOS’ enabled, then see if switching that off resolves the matter.

QOS hasn't been enabled. I thought maybe one of the speakers may be trying to connect to my satellite instead of my main router, thus causing the weird desync, but I'm not 100% sure it is.