Power cord

• 27 July 2018
  • 4 replies

Yes, this is sort of a ridiculous idea, but there's a minor issue I have regarding the Beam's power cord. Let me explain.

For one of my setups, the TV is mounted on the wall. So of course, I have the Beam mounted under the TV...but not right under the TV. I want to be able to access the manual controls, so I placed the beam a few inches below the TV. That means that I have a few inches between the TV and beam where the power cord and the hdmi cable are visible. It doesn't look bad, but it's not ideal.

I wouldn't mind hiding the cables in the wall (as I do with the TV), but technically the power cord is rated for in wall use (or is it?). The HDMI cable is fine for in wall use. I can't really use a outlet relocator kit as it would be too big. So my options are to just punch a small hole in the wall and not worry about being in code, or get an on-wall cable mgmt. thing. I'm opting for the latter.

Anyway, just thought it would be cool if the next hypothetical Sonos soundbar had an inwall rated power cable and perhaps a cheap kit to allow a customer to create a clean looking hole in the wall for the Beam (and return near power and/or TV) so that cords can be hidden and still have full access to the controls. Perhaps this is an accessory kit that one of Sonos partners could produce?

I know...kind of ridiculous and probably not of interest to most customers. But I had to throw it out there.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There isn't really an in-wall rated flexible cable like the figure 8. Your best bet would paint the cord or piece of trim the color of the wall (or just suck it up and punch it through).

I had an extension cord in my wall at my old house - still against rules. It was a real industrial heavy 3 prong one so I felt pretty save that it was as good as regular wiring (but I both ends off of it so it couldn't be used again when I sold my house).
Hi, your comment is not so silly. Can I ask a related question to Sonos.

Why would you offer the Beam in black and white and not provide white cabling for the white version? Why do you think people are choosing one colour over the other? Mainly to fit in with where they are going to put their Beam. Ours, like yours, is a few inches below the TV against a white wall. I had to buy white HDMI leads (which you can get flattended so they can sit flat against the wall rather than having to dig outa hole in the wall) which is an extra cost when I stupidly assumed that Sonos would have thought about that when offering both colours.
There isn't really an in-wall rated flexible cable like the figure 8. Your best bet would paint the cord or piece of trim the color of the wall (or just suck it up and punch it through).

I actually got one of these, Click here I'll only use a tiny portion of it, but it should look fine after painting and will probably find a use for it somewhere else around the house.

I had an extension cord in my wall at my old house - still against rules. It was a real industrial heavy 3 prong one so I felt pretty save that it was as good as regular wiring (but I both ends off of it so it couldn't be used again when I sold my house).

I've actually done that in 2 different places in my house. I need power in the closets. I may look to see if I can bring them up to code but I don't think the power relcoator kits will really work as I'm not moving the outlet along the wall, I'm punching through.

I did use a power relocator for one of the TVs that I'm mounted and am happy with that. Have another kit I need to setup with a different TV.

Why would you offer the Beam in black and white and not provide white cabling for the white version? Why do you think people are choosing one colour over the other? Mainly to fit in with where they are going to put their Beam. Ours, like yours, is a few inches below the TV against a white wall. I had to buy white HDMI leads (which you can get flattended so they can sit flat against the wall rather than having to dig outa hole in the wall) which is an extra cost when I stupidly assumed that Sonos would have thought about that when offering both colours.

Someone else asked about the power cord on white models a few days ago, and Sonos answered. I can't remember exactly what the reason was, but it was something they thought about.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Their other white models have come with white cordsin past. Maybe eventually will with beam - must have been supply issue