Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Userlevel 2
A hifi homecinema soundbar without dts support seems not up to date for me. Are there any plans to add dts support?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

I want dts support also - come on Sonos. Wake up!!!!!
Dear all,

there is a workaround when you are using an HTPC with XBMC. XBMC (I used version Frodo 12.3) can transcode any DTS stream into AC3 and send it to the Playbar. This way we have true Surround on all of our movies and nothing "fake".

Settings are easy. In Audio settings choose Output HDMI (although Optical is used!!!) and only choose that your receiver (Playbar) supports AC3. All other content will then be transcoded "on the fly in real time" into AC3.

I successfully used it with numerous MKV and different audio formats! IT IS WORKING!

Btw....we ordered a Switch for SPDIF to get full surround for all our devices, because our TV will only offer Stereo via SPDIF.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AudioEngine/HOW-TO:_Configure_audio

This part is important....

Note: If you want to transcode one format to another, for example DTS is not supported on your receiver but AC3 is, then select just AC3 however as the DTS is decoded to LPCM before being encoded again to AC3 then the resulting audio will be AC3 2.0 only due to the LPCM 2.0 limit imposed by selecting Optical/Coax, if you want a full 5.1 channel transcode you'll have to select the HDMI option even if you're not using a HDMI output.

It is a pity, that Sonos is doing nothing for the last 11 months especially not in this Thread! No reaction except for some short responses. No Updates, no actual state, nothing like "we are working on it and have the following problems"....If it is not working or you have problems solving it, tell the poeple at least that you try.
Another example of a Sonos thread gone quiet (from Sonos's side).  

It's a strange one, having an outlet for people who have invested in Sonos kit to raise this issue is excellent.  For Sonos to effectively ignore the user base creates a far worse feeling then to have not even bothered to provide the means to raise such issue.  At least then, you know where you stand… 

In today's social world the voice of its customers is a powerful thing. A cynic might say they want to keep these threads going on ask.sonos so that all this discussion isn't taking place in the general public line of sight (twitter and Facebook).  

I see a few people have posted comments on FB.. It might be more productive not posting the comments direct to Sonos, but providing a helpful service to other FB users by responding to other FB user's comments on the Sonos page informing them of shortcomings prior to purchase.  Because as most of us know, these things are in the fine print and are often discovered a little too late.

Sonos. Please do the right thing and at least give fair and frequent response to your customers in these threads.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
The most important update for the Sonos Playbar is DTS support, please Sonos make it happend, not alone for me but for all of your customers!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
DTS support is a key feature that really is needed if the Playbar is to be sold as a surround-sound product. It is a clear oversight and will continue to cause issues that require an unnecessary degree of knowledge about the issue to work around it and also limits the partnering equipment significantly in order to produce a working solution.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
DTS support is a key feature that really is needed if the Playbar is to be sold as a surround-sound product. It is a clear oversight and will continue to cause issues that require an unnecessary degree of knowledge about the issue to work around it and also limits the partnering equipment significantly in order to produce a working solution.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
DTS support come on Sonos we waiting far too long now!!!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Userlevel 1
I've contacted Techradar and Whathifi and gave them the link to this thread. It's a shame Sonos...
Userlevel 2
I bought my first Sonos Play1 for listening to music, which was absolutely brilliantly impressive.

Having been so impressed I then decided to purchase the play bar, sub and an additional Play1 to get 5.1 for TV/Movies. Having spent an extra £1,400 to achieve this you can imagine my disappointment to find out that virtually NONE of my MKV files play in proper surround sound. I have a large video library which is on a media server for streaming, of which the VAST MAJORITY are ripped for audio using DTS.

I thought the whole deal with Sonos is that it is designing high quality, modern technology. Not supporting DTS audio streams seems like a majorly limiting oversight and/or mistake.

This actually makes me angry as I cannot return these products as they 'technically' are not defective. OK, I accept that on my part I 'should' have checked for compliance from Sonos for DTS before purchasing, however, seeing as virtually every other device (also many from much cheaper budget type manufacturers) on the market do, I simply wouldn't have believed Sonos didn't.
Really could use DTS support! This is really appalling for a company via to take over the market share and get people to buy into their home systems.  Sonos used to be responsive but now I'm starting to think they don't care about their customers.  
Playbar needs to get DTS support!!!  What is the point of buying playbar if it doesn't offer through surround sound.  I'm thinking of buying the entire Sonos eco-system, but only if there will be a new playbar with DTS functionality.  If this takes too long, I will need to look for alternatives.
Userlevel 2
100% agree with all of this and have posted my great annoyance on this thread multiple times!

As an interim measure, which has been mentioned on other threads, I thought I would confirm that you can work around this for blu rays, which was my particular concern.

Using my PS3 (directly plugged into the playbar) you can set the audio to output Dolby 5.1 via optical using the option Bitstream Mix. Then even on a DTS Master audio blu ray, the playbar receives 5.1 and it sounds brilliant.

Wiring the optical from the source to the playbar directly does mean I need to swap the optical from SkyHD to PS3, but I plan to work around this using http://www.cypeurope.com/store/store/app/product/AU-11CD (£120) with a HDMI switch (£10) to extract the audio to optical from HDMI...

My TV is too old to have an optical out anyway but by going direct from the source to the playbar I can at least benefit from the audio config options of my blu ray player (PS3) and get a proper 5.1 surround signal into the playbar.

For me the biggest issue about this whole thing is the utter lack of response from Sonos. So much frustration and damage to the immensely loyal client base could have been avoided with clear and regular updates.

Even if they were to say that "discussions are ongoing and an update will be posted in x weeks" or just to have some input from Sonos on workarounds like the above.

Neither of which would be THE answer we want be at least we would feel as though something was happening.

Come on Sonos, at least have the grace to update us with something.
You can not expect everyone to know about all this. I did not know about DTS before Sonos, because thought its a simple plug and play. Your Sonos Marketing Poeple in the store in Germany told me that DTS is not important, actually they told me nothing about it. They told me its not so important after I asked them about DTS. And that this will be solved by the intelligence of the Playbar.

Then I thought....OK...not so bad....For a Playbar only we do not need real surround. Then my wife's xmas present has been 2x Play 3s for Surround. She definetly did not know about the whole thing...

Keep in mind that none of your customers bought some chinese cheap stuff but some stuff thats supposed to be PREMIUM quality. Together with another Play 1 we invested more than 1500 € (more than 2000$!!!!).

You advertise Playbar with Play 1s/3s as a 5.1 product for real surround. Keeping in mind that most BluRays use DTS this is no real surround for me. Actually it does feel like a rip-off towards your customers. Especially since there are no updates at alll for more than 10 months! COME ON SONOS!!!
What is the return policy on the playbar? Too many other sound bar products in the market and many more coming out that supports Optical, HDMI, DD 5.1, and DTS. Enough of this horse shit and dump Sonos....
Please add DTS now
Please add DTS now
Even if it's a hw limitation, create and sell a simple box that will convert DTS 5.1 to DD 5.1. Make it small so that it fits on the back of a tv, powered by a usb output on the tv. As it exists in some TVs and BR players, it must be possible.
Userlevel 2
I must say that had i known at the time I brought the Playbar that it did not do ALL 5.1 inputs the I may not have brought the Playbar. Please get this sorted ASAP as the reason I purchased the product was to eliminate wires from my living room and this was supposed to replace my old suroundsound system with no wires. As others have said it can't be that hard for a company with your technical ability.
imo it's not about technical ability, it's more about costs. DTS is an audio technology owned by DTS inc. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS_(sound_system) )
Sonos has to license the technology.
Even some 200$ Soundbars support DTS, so i don't know why Sonos seems to be so "close-fisted".
😞
If there's a business case to include the license in a $200 soundbar, the cost can't be prohibitive to Sonos' earnings on the Playbar. Or they could choose to sell it as a software addon. I'd be angry, but less so than now, and I'd probably end up paying for it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Just purchased a Playbar and would really appreciate DTS to be added ASAP.
I also very strongly request DTS to be added to the Playbar. Unless this is done I will not further invest into any SONOS equipment (currently have the SUB, 2 Play 1, 2 Play 3, 2 Play 5 and the Connect, so I consider myself to be a heavy user. Not adding DTS into a modern soundbar is really not up to my expectations of SONOS, which I hitherto always strongly recommended. So, Do yourselves a favour AND ADD THE DTS FEATURE!
DTS +1
Won't buy the following equipment without DTS Support: 1x Playbar + 1x Sub + 2x Play 3 !!! Already have several components from Sonos for stereo music and I love them; now it's time to also support my cinema room with a Sonos setup; please treat this issue as top-urgent !
We need all DTS in the Playbar. Come On Sonos Change it now.