Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Userlevel 2
A hifi homecinema soundbar without dts support seems not up to date for me. Are there any plans to add dts support?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

If you own an HDMI receiver that does not have Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA decoding, then you can set the HDMI Audio for PCM. This tells the player to use its own internal decoders to decode the selected soundtrack on the disc, be it Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby TrueHD, etc. Most (but not all) new players have both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA decoders built in. So, set the player for PCM, and it will decode the audio and send it in the form of multichannel PCM to your receiver over the HDMI cable. 
Just invested in a new Panasonic 65VT60. Already very happy with Sonos PLAY:5, PLAY:3, PLAY:1 and CONNECT:AMP. Next logical addition was to replace 10 year old H/K receiver and wired speakers with PLAYBAR, SUB and and add'l 1 or 3 for rears. Seems that the "HDMI through the TV" recommended playbar setup by SONOS is worthless to me without DSP support. Hooking up as is would be a sound downgrade to stereo and the optical switch workarounds defeat the purpose of the simplicity of the system and don't help me with Netflix streaming from the TV. I HOPE I'm missing something otherwise add me to this list hoping to see more than "under consideration" from an otherwise great company.
Dave:

I just ordered a Sonos Playbar and Sub to pair with recently purchased play1s.  Unfortunately I didn't do my research before ordering and didn't realize thet the soundbar would not support DTS.  Hopefully, you will announce that support for DTS is forthcoming in the next couple of weeks so I can avoid the hassle of returning these items. 

I don't pretend to know whether it is in the companies best interest to add support for DTS, but If it isn't, I would appreciate knowing your decision so we can find alternatives for our home theater sound system and concentrate on optimizing our Sonos system for it's intended designed purposes.

Thanks for your consideration.
I've voted for DTS too.  I have several Sonos devices however I won't upgrade my Yamaha YSP1000 sound bar to a Playbar until DTS is added.

If this is a "licensing thing" then why not allow people to buy the license separately.  This is how Raspberry Pi support legacy MPEG2 codecs on their devices.  I realise it will rankle with some people that they have to buy something else to get DTS, however for those people who genuinely won't buy this product until it has DTS it will provide another option.
Userlevel 2
I already have two connects and a connect amp. I will not buy a playbar, sub, and wireless rears until this obvious connectivity issue is resolved.
This is an astonishing thread. I'm glad I found it before purchasing a Playbar so that I was able to think again and save wasting my cash. The official responses are a joke. No new information to be shared? Incredibly unlikely. I imagine there is a heap of information to be shared, but it's likely that it's not good news and so Sonos keeps quiet. Why else would people be kept waiting for so many months for something like this? Imagine if the Play 1 had released with no support for MP3 or FLAC, and then people had to wait 9 months for any concrete news.

Something bad this way comes, and it's probably called Playbar 2.
I want DTS support now :-)
count my vote
Add me to the list. Was going to pull the trigger on a play bar and sub after my play 3 and bridge purchase. Love the streaming features of it so far. But without something as basic as DTS support... Not going to drop the cash on something that won't deliver the ultimate surround experience as your company plasters all over my tv in commercial form every 30 minutes. You're loosing lots of customers SONOS. Sort it.
So for me everything worked out great, I hate to write but i have to share this with you guys, so i was aware of the whole dts situation of the system but then i still bought the system because i found some software that convert movies from dts to dd5.1. Just one week earlier i bought a Sony KDL-50W656 TV because it finally can play MKV files and so on. So what happened NOW is crazy because i did a research online for about 3 weeks, didnt find anything and then had the luck to find out by myself just like that.. that TV not only passtrough the dd5.1 signal but if i open a MKV file with DTS or any other audio it sends it out by optical in dd5.1 so EVERY DTS Movie i have plays in full DTS quality even DTS-HD Sources play on my Sonos System!!! This is really true, and real dolby digital 5.1 no pcm or any other shit. from dts to 5.1. I havent tried over hdmi, this was with files in my network. I am fuckin happy like hell!!! i tried it with some dts test files in mts with mkv and other files
So for me everything worked out great, I hate to write but i have to share this with you guys, so i was aware of the whole dts situation of the system but then i still bought the system because i found some software that convert movies from dts to dd5.1. Just one week earlier i bought a Sony KDL-50W656 TV because it finally can play MKV files and so on. So what happened NOW is crazy because i did a research online for about 3 weeks, didnt find anything and then had the luck to find out by myself just like that.. that TV not only passtrough the dd5.1 signal but if i open a MKV file with DTS or any other audio it sends it out by optical in dd5.1 so EVERY DTS Movie i have plays in full DTS quality even DTS-HD Sources play on my Sonos System!!! This is really true, and real dolby digital 5.1 no pcm or any other shit. from dts to 5.1. I havent tried over hdmi, this was with files in my network. I am fuckin happy like hell!!! i tried it with some dts test files in mts with mkv and other files
Userlevel 2
Badge
Another promotional email this morning:

'Hear every detail'.......

https://sonos.custhelp.com/ci/documents/view/1/AvUa~wozFP8SLvHDGoke~yL~Jvsq~zT~_8VVMDr~
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
i also received the email promoting the playbar as able to play everything connected to your TV with full surround.
With all the recent comments on this forum and Facebook, it seems very clear to me that regardless of the official comment that SONOS hears the request, they don't give a damn about customer satisfaction and are only concerned with selling.
I am amazed at the lack of connection between their marketing department and listening to customers.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
BTW it was also very upsetting to see the email headline for the playbar... Hear Every Detail !!
The disconnect between the marketing messages and reality is astounding
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
They should be sued for false promotion.. Disgusting!!
Userlevel 2
I just purchased the Sonos Playbar and the Sonos Sub to actually listen to the products despite the DTS limitation. Quite honestly, I love the system, but the lack of DTS support is a fatal flaw that is preventing it from even be considered a serious home theater component. Will return both tomorrow and will purchase the obvious competitor's product.

Sonos, please add DTS support to the Playbar, it's a great product with a terrible, unavoidable defect.
Userlevel 2
Unbelievable, I just caught up on my emails and spotted the Playbar one. I cannot believe they are happily promoting with a thread like this just being ignored! I routinely recommend Sonos to anyone who is looking for something for music around the house, but this really is taking the piss. At least say that the Playbar won't be supporting it and then we can move on, or that some form of progress is being made. Where can we go next, Forums don't seem to do anything, facebook, doens't do anything....?
Sonos please let us now!!! Will the Playbar support DTS or not?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Cant believe just got a promotional email on playbar stating it is a complete package for surround sound! They should be dragged to consumer court for false marketing!
Userlevel 2
"DTS support was not included in part because the vast majority of televisions do not pass DTS audio from their optical ports. This topic is currently marked as Under Consideration as a possible future enhancement."

To the Sonos gurus, most user's are not using the TV pass through function via the optical output. There are well known optical switches out there which are being used to feed sound direct from the component to the Playbar. One of these components is a DVD player and if the DVD is encoded for DTS only, then no sound is heard. Please forget the TV DTS pass through capability issue and realise that there are other options for feeding the sound from a device to the Playbar. Count my vote for DTS please.
Userlevel 2
Another 3 months have passed since the last official anouncement - please make a decision one way or another!

Can someone at Sonos please tell me why are you only just considering and not implementing, after all this time it must be you simply just cannot do it because you would be left with a lot of ex-DTS stock that will not sell possibly, just a thought.
Userlevel 2
I still can't believe that a simple yes or can take so much time. Last week I purchased a Sub afer I bought my playbar a half year ago. I'm still a very happy customer, but no additional products will be bought, for example: play1 or play x2 because fake surround is not what the customer is spending is money on when watching DTS encoded movies.

Come on Sonos let us hear your voice!
Badge
It should be a simple yes or no answer, not an ambiguous "under consideration". They could be simply stringing people along with the potential of it coming to help claw at more unwary consumers. Makes me sick.
Badge
We should all be making this monumental flaw aware on their FACEBOOK page... I only took me one comment to cause a SONOS member to cover up what I said with total lies.