Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Userlevel 2
A hifi homecinema soundbar without dts support seems not up to date for me. Are there any plans to add dts support?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Today I decided to return my play 1 and bridge+sub to my local dealer. It's to unsure wether the dts support will come or not. And if it won't I have an 1700Euro sound system which isn't supporting my Blue Rays!
I am still waiting to hear if sonos will add DTS support. I am not prepared to wait for ever. If this information does not come to light by the middle of December I along with countless others will turn to Yamaha and Bose alternatives.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Please add DTS ASAP. The xbox one supports DTS out over optical but doesn't support Dolby 5.1 (yet) so even if I plug the optical directly into the sonos playbar it still only receives stereo. Some kind of update would be nice, please! About to return a bride, 2 new play bars, 2 play 3's, w play 1's, and a sub that I just purchased from best buy.
I'm glad I took the opportunity to look through this forum and read user's comments regarding the lack of DTS decoding in the playbar.  I initially purchased the playbar after catching a demo of it at Best Buy, thinking it would be a great solution for wireless surround sound capabilities (when paired with the sub and the play:1 or play:3).  While most of my media, my current TV, and DVD player aren't on any DTS format, I'm looking at a system that has capabilities for upgrades down the road, especially when I upgrade my TV.  Considering most (if not all) Blu Ray discs are formatted for DTS sound, and most of the solutions provided are more like workarounds, I decided to cancel my order for the Sonos playbar from Amazon. 

The concept of a wireless surround system looked promising from Sonos, but until it's capable of handling common formats like DTS, I'm happy to wait until next gen comes out, or I can go with the classic old school A/V systems with satellite speakers. 

Sonos - if you get a firmware upgrade on the current generation or decide to release a next gen, give me a shout. 
I'm glad I took the opportunity to look through this forum and read user's comments regarding the lack of DTS decoding in the playbar.  I initially purchased the playbar after catching a demo of it at Best Buy, thinking it would be a great solution for wireless surround sound capabilities (when paired with the sub and the play:1 or play:3).  While most of my media, my current TV, and DVD player aren't on any DTS format, I'm looking at a system that has capabilities for upgrades down the road, especially when I upgrade my TV.  Considering most (if not all) Blu Ray discs are formatted for DTS sound, and most of the solutions provided are more like workarounds, I decided to cancel my order for the Sonos playbar from Amazon. 

The concept of a wireless surround system looked promising from Sonos, but until it's capable of handling common formats like DTS, I'm happy to wait until next gen comes out, or I can go with the classic old school A/V systems with satellite speakers. 

Sonos - if you get a firmware upgrade on the current generation or decide to release a next gen, give me a shout. 
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Cyber Monday !!
What a great opportunity for Sonos to gain some more customers to purchase an expensive pretend surround system, count the cash, and then ignore them all when they start to wonder why the system does not meet expectations.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Cyber Monday  !!!!
What a great opportunity for SONOS to sell more expensive pretend surround systems, count the cash, and then ignore all their new customers who wonder why their new systems don't meet expectations.
I was juuuust about to buy the playbar.... luckily I found this thread here (whew...). No DTS would have been a mega-FAIL! Good bye from yet another potential buyer!
Made the dive and stock with the playbar and 5.1 components......:-(
Made the dive and stock with the playbar and 5.1 components......:-(
Just bought a Sonos Play 1 and found out it doesn't support DTS.  I was thinking of converting to a Surround System with Sonos device, but I think I'm going to return it until it has DTS support.  I hope you enable it.
Just bought a Sonos Play 1 and found out it doesn't support DTS.  I was thinking of converting to a Surround System with Sonos device, but I think I'm going to return it until it has DTS support.  I hope you enable it.
It's a pity... I have been enjoining Sonos for more than 8 years. I own three ZP100, one ZP90, one Play 5, one Sub, a bridge and two CR100 (running strong after replacing their batteries this year). I can't conceive listening to my music but through the system: instant gratification, no hassles and failures. My friends still rave on how good Sonos is for the music aficionado. I was looking for the Playbar and other components to replace my aging surround system with a simpler and elegant solution, one my wife would not feel intimidated using, but seems this will be a no-no. I will keep my veritable Yamaha receiver and JBL 5.1 speakers (connected to a ZP90) for the time being. Based on what I learned in this post, this is by far a better setup than the very expensive, but DTS incapable Sonos option. Hope Sonos decides to listen to their loyal user base and gets their act together on this matter. They are crippling an otherwise great product and harming their Brand equity by advertising (and claiming) something they are really not able to deliver.
Badge
I already am a great Sonos fan. I have five zones and a controller. I would buy a playbar, 2x play 1 and a sub tomorrow if if would have at least 4 HDMI inputs and DTS support. You want to connect it to a TV without HDMI? What where you thinking? This playbar should replace my receiver. This thread is 10 months old and still no answer.
Just bought a PLAYBAR, and ordered SUB and two PLAY1 as I love my PLAY 5.

First Blu-ray I tried played the intro music (Dolby) but as soon as the film (DTS) started NOTHING!  Bit of reading and now hugely disappointed... especially given the premium price!

On the basis that this has been outstanding for months and is still only under consideration, I'm going to take it back to the shop.  I've just cancelled my order for SUB and PLAY 1s. 

Looks like you've just lost a few sales from me and I will now be negatively recommending SONOS PLAYBAR to others.

Pity given my first introduction to you was so positive. 😞
Hello, I've just got a Play:1 and I was checking the other "pieces" to buy a complete set for my smart tv...now seeing that it has only one optical input and DTS is not supported I think I will wait to see if you will ever support it or not. I'm ready to pay (a lot) more but I think not only the price should be "premium" but also the (basic for this kind of devices) features should be.

Following this topic for updates...
Any chance of an update from someone at Sonos please?
Userlevel 2
Sonos, John M, we deserve an answer! And a concrete one.
Userlevel 2
Badge +18

Fabian,  

We hear you but unfortunately we do not have an update to share at this time.  This topic will be the first place we update once there's any new information.

John
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
John- This kind of an answer from the company like yours is not acceptable. After waiting for so many months, all we get to hear is there is nothing to be shared. Very sad.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi All
I have just received the comment below from John M on another thread (What source of true surround sound is compatable with play bar) Take a look for the full conversation.

No progress at all then, and the same old reply. 
What is the problem SONOS ?

We hear the request on DTS but we do not have any new information to share on the possibility of DTS support at this time.  The status is still under consideration.
The PLAYBAR supports both stereo PCM and Dolby Digital sources.  This information is available in multiple places online but for reference, you can find the full requirements here.
Dolby Digital Plus is not a supported codec because it is only passed through HDMI, not optical.  As you know, the PLAYBAR was designed to connect to a television via optical and does not feature HDMI.
Hi John, How about an easier question ... Can the current Playbar be upgraded, via firmware, to support Dts playback? A Yes Or No answer will suffice. Answering that question may at least give some of us hope.

John, don't you think it's a bit scandalous that Sonos hasn't yet given an answer to a question that was posed 8 months ago? With no satisfying response in between? 
So for me everything worked out great, I hate to write but i have to share this with you guys, so i was aware of the whole dts situation of the system but then i still bought the system because i found some software that convert movies from dts to dd5.1. Just one week earlier i bought a Sony KDL-50W656 TV because it finally can play MKV files and so on. So what happened NOW is crazy because i did a research online for about 3 weeks, didnt find anything and then had the luck to find out by myself just like that.. that TV not only passtrough the dd5.1 signal but if i open a MKV file with DTS or any other audio it sends it out by optical in dd5.1 so EVERY DTS Movie i have plays in full DTS quality on my Sonos System!!! This is really true, and real dolby digital 5.1 no pcm or any other shit. from dts to 5.1. I havent tried over hdmi, this was with files in my network. I am fuckin happy like hell!!! i tried it with some dts test files in mts with mkv and other files