Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Userlevel 2
A hifi homecinema soundbar without dts support seems not up to date for me. Are there any plans to add dts support?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 2
So disappointing it does not support DTS! It is a big issue, especially when linking the play bar to surround speakers! It means many Bluerays do not work with the playbar because they only output in DTS, or if they work, it is in stereo... making the Playbar useless for surround sound. This is a very poor technical choice from Sonos and very poor customer service story. 
Not supporting DTS on the PlayBar doesn't make marketing sense... more and more people, like me, who would have bought your Play:1 to make a surround sound system will be hit by the lack of DTS support soon or later and will increasingly be vocal about it. Yup, Playbar sounds great, exception for that blue ray, and that one... oh all of those too... 
You can make it right, please do. Soon.
Regards,
S.
Not supporting DTS is a big fail
Userlevel 2
I just wanted to buy the Sonos Playbar and intended to buy more Sonos products for my bathroom and kitchen. I love the idea of Sonos. But without DTS support I will likely get no sound from my sources (BluRay) played from my WD TV live.

Does anybody know if I can get any sound with wd tv live, the playbar connected directly and a dts movie? Or should I just buy another solution which supports dts?

Could the play:5 be an alternative for TV sound? I could connect a play:5 with headphone output of my TV and get any sound? This would be just bad stereo, but better then nothing. Or do I get lipsync problems then?
Userlevel 1
Guys I've bought an Octava HD-41 switcher that allows me to pass DTS tracks and convert them to DD5.1 on the fly.  This works well with the playbar.  Not optimal but its better than having to manually convert my existing media.  Its $250 - which is stupid really but it does provide me with a 4-port HDMI switch as well - so the money isn't a total waste. It has RS232C control as well so that works well with my centralized media rack.  Please note: I tried a monoprice 4-port hdmi switch with TOSlink out and I experienced sound loss every 5 minutes or so.  The sound would disappear for about a second.  That was annoying.  So that's why I opted towards the Octava and I haven't had any issues. Check it out as it may help some out there stuck with the playbar and looking for a solution.  The link is below:

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x1%20ARC%20port_pro.html

Not taking any credit for this as some other users in the Sonos forums provided me with this option.
Userlevel 1
Guys I've bought an Octava HD-41 switcher that allows me to pass DTS tracks and convert them to DD5.1 on the fly.  This works well with the playbar.  Not optimal but its better than having to manually convert my existing media.  Its $250 - which is stupid really but it does provide me with a 4-port HDMI switch as well - so the money isn't a total waste. It has RS232C control as well so that works well with my centralized media rack.  Please note: I tried a monoprice 4-port hdmi switch with TOSlink out and I experienced sound loss every 5 minutes or so.  The sound would disappear for about a second.  That was annoying.  So that's why I opted towards the Octava and I haven't had any issues. Check it out as it may help some out there stuck with the playbar and looking for a solution.  The link is below:

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x1%20ARC%20port_pro.html

Not taking any credit for this as some other users in the Sonos forums provided me with this option.
@sam, thanks but to be honest another 250 bucks is not an option. 
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
thank you for the info SAM, I already invested $64 to get a optical switch to pass through DD, another 250 is not a question at all. Why didn't Sonos build this at first place when they are charging so much for a playbar.
I'm looking around to buy a 5.1 system, saw the Sonos playbar and sub and 2 x Play:1/3's... looks fab, but reading this thread has made me reconsider. 

A company that can't be bothered to comment on this thread on it's own forum about a big issue like this, doesn't deserve the £2k i was just about to spend on kit... plus the rest that will come in time in other rooms in the house.

Sorry Sonos - sort this out. You'll lose in the long run.
Sonos keep suggesting that the reason there is no DTS is that most TVs don't support pass through so they left it out.  Many don't support dolby pass through either so many people in the know are forced to use either an Octovainc style system where they can split out the audio, or take a seperate optical out from the source and feed that direct to the sonos playbar (or into a 3 way to 1 where you select the audio source then onto the playbar) to avoid these audio complications.  (I'm using the audio splitter and XBMC where I can to convert DTS to 5.1)  The original design premise of the playbar is flawed...it appears rare that you can actually rely on pass through to work in all situations.  I'm sure there are plenty of non-technical people sat at home in awe of their new soundbar as they listen to it blast them with glorious 2.1 sound.

As a result, the continued argument/sonos statement that "tvs don't support DTS passthrough so we didn't provide it" is not really relevant as the majority of people that are aware of this problem are using workarounds that means once you bring in the ability for the soundbar to decode DTS they are sorted.  The rest are blissfully unaware.

I think I have a couple of concerns

1/  You are in essence conning a lot of laymen into buying a technology that does not work as described.  The adverts state 5.1 support/surround sound, but a laymen will not know the difference between Dolby 5.1, DTS...nor will they know to check "About Sonos" on their controller to check what is actually being played at them through the speaker.  The only red flag will be when half their blu ray collection doesn't playback DTS sound.  My mum thought the playbar was brilliant until I pointed out she'd been listening in stereo and that I had to spend 30 minutes re-cabling things.  I didn't even try and explain DTS.  It seems a little out of order that Sonos has made no real attempt to clarify setup issues within the instructions of the product or in a prominent place on their website...this is a big deal.  People are buying and using something, blissfully ignorant of the fact it's not delivering what they paid for.

2/  I'm not sure how months after something as key as the DTS issue, it's still under consideration.  Either you have the worst internal development/review cycle in the world (which I'm not willing to believe given the brilliant Sonos 1,3 and 5 range), you don't care, you are releasing an updated product shortly and giving all your existing soundbar customers the finger or the mindset at sonos is "Those in the know are few, those buying and in ignorant awe of 2.1 are the masses" and you are happy to rake the cash in whilst you can.

I'd be interested in hearing any feedback you have as it's the makings of an interesting story.

Thanks

Looking more and more like there will be no dts support for the 1st generation playbar.
It's a wise decision on the part of Sonos to stay as silent as (playbar) Blu-ray  playback!
If Sonos were to admit it, playbar sales and their reputation would go down the tubes.
jmho...
9 months and still waiting for a decision about Dts support, now other companies are jumping on the scene and providing what your customers have been asking you to do and you could have done it, but now your potential customers are going to jump to them. If I was the CEO of your company I'd be licking envelopes right now, I wish you all the best for the future, I think your going to need it.
Userlevel 2
I had this setup for 2 months now and this will just not cut it in the home theatre room i set up in my house. love sonos but no DTS has lost me. if my store will give me a refund or store credit 2k will easily buy me a good 5.1 set up that supports DTS MASTER AUDIO.Maybe sonos will add DTS in the next few days or at least say there adding it
I'm staggered by Sonos' lack of communication on this issue. In the past, Sonos has had a tremendous reputation for customer support, a reputation which I'm sure has encouraged non-tech people to take the plunge and buy into their wireless system. 
Unfortunately for Sonos, anyone now considering starting off down the Sonos route only has to do a quick Google and they will immediately be hit not by praise but with a barrage of unanswered complaints relating to the Playbar and the DTS issue.
A good reputation is hard to earn but very easy to lose. It's even harder still to get back once it's gone. I guess the ball's in Sonos' court to do something before it's too late.
I'm staggered by Sonos' lack of communication on this issue. In the past, Sonos has had a tremendous reputation for customer support, a reputation which I'm sure has encouraged non-tech people to take the plunge and buy into their wireless system. 
Unfortunately for Sonos, anyone now considering starting off down the Sonos route only has to do a quick Google and they will immediately be hit not by praise but with a barrage of unanswered complaints relating to the Playbar and the DTS issue.
A good reputation is hard to earn but very easy to lose. It's even harder still to get back once it's gone. I guess the ball's in Sonos' court to do something before it's too late.
Userlevel 2
 I'm seeing if my store will give me a refund on my playbar and sub in a few days because my cheap LG sound bar sounds way better in dts then the pricy playbar does in PCM unless i hear a release date for dts before I return
Sonos, surely you value your customers and fans enough to provide an actual informative update, rather than your now 3 month old response. Surely a valid idea does not need to be "under consideration" for 10+ months for a decision to be made. Either DTS is going to be supported or it is not....so what is it to be, surely your customers deserve to know, having purchased the Soundbar or who are thinking of doing so? At this rate you will start losing fans of Sonos to other manufacturers that provide the basic spec of DTS support. Please provide an informative update...
Userlevel 1
I hope I am wrong but I believe that they are waiting to announce a negative statement right after Christmas so not to scare potential buyers.

Nevermind, I will inform the media as I work in this area and I have some contacts. I'll give them the link to this forum and ask them to get in touch with Sonos to make this public.
This is ridiculous.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Why do you think they will make a negative statement ? Do you have some inside info on this, as I am sure everyone monitoring this feed would like to know more. I hope this is not true also.
I think i'll buy the Sabre 35 too
Userlevel 1
I have no evidence, I know as much as you know, and that's nothing at all. But which company comes up with hard truths especially before Christmas?
The best part is that they seem to ignore their users. How can this be that such a thread has been open for 10 months and why do they need to so long to answer in the first place?
There must be a reason I guess. Maybe I'm confused but there is no reason to ignore this demand and many other users who complain thoughout the internet.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yes, you do have to wonder what the staff are doing all day..An issue like this should be discussed daily until it's resolved or communicated.
Wow, very disappointed to hear this! I almost hit the trigger on purchasing the playbar, bridge, subwoofer, 2 play 3, and 1 play 5. I guess I will wait until I hear Dolby Digital and DTS has been integrated. 
Over the last 2 years I have invested heavily in 2 play 5's, 2 play 3's then playbar, sub and last week added my first play 1. I love the streaming aspect of sonos and my family happily use the system every day. The problem is the additional cost of the 5.1 element does not justify the functionality. This is advertised as "your perfect home theatre system", "immersive 5.1 sound" and the best line "the power to play anything"! I have a large blu ray collection and we regularly watch movies so the lack of DTS support is a serious issue for me. If I had known about this before my purchase, even though I am a huge fan of sonos I'm not sure if I would have gone ahead. I believe the advertising is misleading. It should clearly state that the 5.1 surround sound is Dolby Digital and that DTS is currently not supported. Once I set up my home theatre system and realised there was a DTS problem I considered returning the full 5.1 setup, however I did have DD coming through from my Sky HD box and it sounded fantastic so I stuck with it in the hope sonos would address the omission of DTS support. I had a £250 LG 5.1 system and I hate to say it but as things stand I would rather have kept it in my living room for TV and movies and carried on with my play 5's and play 3's for streaming music in other rooms in the house. The £250 LG genuinely did produce "immersive 5.1 sound" and had "the power to play anything"! I regularly follow the forums especially the DTS thread. Since the redesign I must say that has not been easy. Can we please have a sort button or a way to jump to the most recent post? Anyway the complete silence from Sonos on the DTS subject is becoming as annoying as the silence from my expensive home theatre system when I try to play a blu ray. An update from Sonos is long overdue. If it's not possible please have the decency to inform your customer base so we can make a decision on the way forward (eBay ?!!). If you are working on a solution at least change the subject to planned as it has been under consideration for a year! There is a new forum thread in the general discussion section called "my letter to sonos management", let's get a conversation going over there and keep it at the top of the forum list where it will be more visible as it's now hard to find this topic and the last post in ask.sonos. Maybe we will finally get a much needed update!
Totally agree,

I have 2 play 1's and a bridge.

Wanted the playbar and sub but I am now considering the Yamaha ysp-3300 for xmas as I don't think Sonos will ever respond / provide an update to this thread which is disappointing given the size of the thread.
Totally agree,

I have 2 play 1's and a bridge.

Wanted the playbar and sub but I am now considering the Yamaha ysp-3300 for xmas as I don't think Sonos will ever respond / provide an update to this thread which is disappointing given the size of the thread.