Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Userlevel 2
A hifi homecinema soundbar without dts support seems not up to date for me. Are there any plans to add dts support?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 2
They would never say that they are not considering this or not going to provide this. This sort of bad news would mean people would skip on purchasing this unit. I already had a friend of mine balk at the idea and went and purchased a harmon kardon in favor of the playbar. He simply said that he can't justify getting something that doesn't support the basic audio formats other soundbars provide as a default set at a much lower cost of ownership. Too bad. I do feel the playbar is a superior soundbar but without DTS it's nothing but a good soundbar for just satellite/cable and not blu-ray. 90% of the movies I own are DTS only.
I agree - the uncertainty will only drive people to buy other brands
Please give an update Sonos... I've been waiting on this response to decide whether to add a playbar to the 6+ Sonos units in my house. I'm perfectly happy to spend more on a Playbar than I would on a receiver and surround speakers for my home entertainment system, but ONLY if it works fully. Lacking support for DTS which means a majority of bluray discs don't work is not fully functional in my book. In 2013 DTS isn't a feature of a home entertainment audio product, it is a NECESSITY. Please correct this Sonos!
After waiting for an official response to this issue, I'm now ready to sell all my Sonos gear and find something that actually works with common media files. The fact that Sonos fails to commit on this issue, but rather just keeps it stuck at "under consideration" for 8 months, is an embarrassment. At the very least let your customers know where you stand, so they can make an informed decision. Anybody want to buy a Playbar + SUB and a bunch of other Sonos junk?
Sonos advertising: “5.1 Homecinema met het grootste gemak” (Playbar met een SUB en 2x PLAY3) Based on this information I bought a Sonos System in August But unfortunately, Sonos does not play 5.1 With the coming of the Beta version 4.2 (4 weeks ago), Dolby Digital 5.1 is now supported. But playback in DTS HD 5.1 is still NOT possible. And a lot of DVD Music and Films are playing only in DTS HD 5.1 (for example > James Bond) Sonos needs to fulfill its promises and make sure that DTS HD 5.1 will be supported as soon as possible Especially for such expensive equipment! There is also something positive; the sound is great!
just about to buy a playbar when I spotted the lack of DTS support 😞
I just created an account because I wanted to voice my disappointment with the lack of DTS on the Sonos Playbar. I was going to purchase the Playbar, a pair of Play 5 and pair of Play 3 units, plus the Sub. However, I cannot seriously consider a solution that in late 2013 does not offer a DTS support. That is very unfortunate, as otherwise I thought that Sonos system would have been perfect. If I don't see any indication of progress from Sonos in the very near future, I will simply have to look for another solution that is more up to date from the A/V standard support perspective. Why are you, Sonos, doing this to us, your potential customers??? I was pretty certain your system would be the one I would get, until I found about the lack of DTS support....
Userlevel 2
Disappointed that there is no update regarding DTS in view of the latest software update 4.2
Userlevel 1
I was hoping that DTS support would be added with the release of the new Play:1. As with the addition of a pair of these to the Playbar and Sub, it makes a more sensible option to obtain 5.1 surround sound. But alas it seems I am disappointed again.
Badge
I just considered to buy a Playbar with either 2 Play3 or 2 of the new Play1 but found out it doesn't support DTS. This would be a deal breaker for me as my current System does support it and I got plenty of BluRays with DTS sound. I got already 3 Play5, 1 Play3 and a ZP90 and believed that the Playbar would be a great enhancement of my current system. Well - might not be true... Would be great if this could be solved.
Dear Sonos, I cannot buy playbar until you add DTS support.. So please Sonos add DTS support!! Thanks..
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Do these people ever hear/ respond are did they just made this forum for a sake of it???
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
It is great that updates are provided to enhance the ability of Sonos products and ensure our investments do not go out of date quickly. I think this is one of the benefits of Sonos against the competition. It was also interesting today to see the launch of the new Play 1, which looks perfect as a surround speaker when combined with the playbar. What a shame then that Sonos are still insisting on promoting that this combination offers 'true' surround when everyone in this forum knows that this is stretching the truth somewhat. Sonos playbar supports Dolby Digital 5.1 which is used for A. Some off air broadcasts B. DVD discs Sonos playbar does not support DTS which is used for A. 90% of BluRay discs Dolby Digital Plus which is used by ( something rarely mentioned here) A. NetFlix B. Sky HD channels A new speaker is great but if you are going to advertise as a surround system, you need to make sure that the media sources can be handled. After All... Without source content, the flashiest systems are pretty much useless. Please resolve this issue
Your response quickly made me decide to NOT invest in a Sonus system. Thanks for your insightful response. Clearly your too busy launching micro speaks and ignoring long term customers basic requests...you can find me at the Bose, or some other vendors, demo booth. Truly disappointing...
Your response quickly made me decide to NOT invest in a Sonus system. Thanks for your insightful response. Clearly your too busy launching micro speaks and ignoring long term customers basic requests...you can find me at the Bose, or some other vendors, demo booth. Truly disappointing...
And what is the logic behind not providing compatible stands for surround set up? Your marketing, engineering and, for that matter, leadership team are virtually clueless on basic customer driven business tenets. Can u possibly be that self-centered and deaf to basic requirements your current owners are asking for, let alone potential new customers like myself? You're gonna get killed for your laissez faire consideration of market requirements and needs...will be interesting to see if you, as a company, continue to even exist in 24 months with this selfish, non-responsive approach.
They would never say that they are not considering this or not going to provide this. This sort of bad news would mean people would skip on purchasing this unit. I already had a friend of mine balk at the idea and went and purchased a harmon kardon in favor of the playbar. He simply said that he can't justify getting something that doesn't support the basic audio formats other soundbars provide as a default set at a much lower cost of ownership. Too bad. I do feel the playbar is a superior soundbar but without DTS it's nothing but a good soundbar for just satellite/cable and not blu-ray. 90% of the movies I own are DTS only.
Count me as skipping buying...just not worth the hi dollars for substandard, compatible system
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
DTS is a big thing for movie lovers and really let's the playbar down. I think you would sell twice as many if DTS was added
I am also making my first post to comment on this issue. Please add DTS support!! I use PLEX through my Samsung TV (the TV supports DTS through its optical output) and many of my movies have DTS only soundtracks which have to be downconverted to stereo for my Playbar. I am not going to make any meaningless threats to not buy additional SONOS products, or to return my Playbar...it's a great product and I am a big fan of SONOS. However, I agree with others that lack of DTS is a big oversight. Show us that you are a truly exceptional company!!!
Hi I do love my playbar but lack of DTS when so many DVD's only having DTS does demonstrate that SONOS does not love its customers?
Hi, This is my first post. Please add support for DTS. I was actively looking for DTS support to invest in Sonos 5.1 setup. I have seen Demos of 5.1 setup quite impressed the quality of sound and easy to setup. This is a great product. Also looked into recent product release of Bose sound touch speakers and still I prefer Sonos as Bose are less in features with soundtouch speakers and still wired connectivity between speakers and modules. I will go with Sonos once DTS support is released. I have been monitoring this post for past few months with the release of Play 1 speakers still DTS support was not enabled. I know this is now under consideration, John M or Mike C would please update us how long it will take to get this DTS support implemented by Sonos? Thanks
http://www.socaltech.com/dts_licenses_play_fi_to_core_brands/s-0051472.html Is this the problem?
Userlevel 2
Merci de faire le maximum pour résoudre ce GROS problème dans les meilleurs délais. Thanks
http://www.socaltech.com/dts_licenses_play_fi_to_core_brands/s-0051472.html Is this the problem?
Oh man, that doesn't bode well. 😕
You can bet it is a large part of the problem, if not the entire problem. That's why comments like "I'm going to sell all my Sonos junk because they don't support DTS" are not helpful, especially when we don't know the whole story. DTS might take comments like that as encouragement for them to NOT license their technology, hoping to lure away customers to their system. I for one will continue to support Sonos as the best available product and hope that they will be able to eventually incorporate DTS.
I will probably return the Playbar without DTS. Please add it.
Not Happy. DTS