Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Userlevel 2
A hifi homecinema soundbar without dts support seems not up to date for me. Are there any plans to add dts support?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Dear Sonos, 700€ for a soundbar with "no DTS" issue? No way for an otherwise happy Sonos customer like me. From my point of view, Sonos Playbar is not a finished product, please add the DTS support. A posibility of an other sound input, such as HDMI would be also nice. Kind regards Zoran
I've just come across a product from Philips, it might not sound as great, but the Philips HTL9100 has everything I need. A soundbar with wireless detachable rear battery powered speakers (up to 10 hours of use) and a wireless subwoofer. And this soundbar has actually 2 HDMI inputs en 1 output with HDMI ARC support.
i was left speechless when i read there is no DTS support. I was planning to buy a Playbar, when DTS support is added i will.
Userlevel 1
I've just come across a product from Philips, it might not sound as great, but the Philips HTL9100 has everything I need. A soundbar with wireless detachable rear battery powered speakers (up to 10 hours of use) and a wireless subwoofer. And this soundbar has actually 2 HDMI inputs en 1 output with HDMI ARC support.
Thanks for the input 🙂 going to go for a Philips HTB9550D 5.1 system from the Fidelio series with wireless rear speakers as a temporary workaround. ( This includes a Blu-Ray drive for legacy media playback and FM radio, too. ) One of the caveats is the missing multi room sync on the Fidelio series, but they are offering a '4.1 stereo mode' for music on the HTB9550D, saying front and rear speakers act as two stereo pairs plus active sub minus quiet center. Maybe something I'm going to forward to my parents in case Sonos shows up with something working properly.
The HTB9550 is not exactly the same as the HTL9100, but yes, the Sonos has multiroom support and the streaming options are a lot better. Nonetheless, for me it would be a better solution, as the primary function for me would be movies. I already own a good stereo amplifier, which leaves the Sonos in the dust 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Hello, have a question to the community who own a Playbar. If we supposed that the Playbar supports DTS, does your TV support DTS passthrough over the optical cable? I think the most of us have to buy an additional optical audio switch.
@Jgatie: I disagree again. For me, "pretty good" would imply it was worth spending £££ on a couple of Play:3 devices as surround speakers. "OK" would say it's not worth the £££ investment as you're not going to get much worthwhile from them. If I already had 2 x Play:3 speakers upstairs, I wouldn't even bother bringing them downstairs to get Prologic sound.
Userlevel 2
I won't be buying one until it does, all my movies I download are DTS.
Please Sonos don't let us wait another 3 month for any further comments on this issue. Admit your mistake or your misunderstanding and correct it asap. I am really frustrated!! If it's not possible to use the optical input from a technical point of view or with regards to licensing, you shall recall all your playbars which have been sold so far. Otherwise you blame your customers.
Yep, Sonos is lucky I didn't check for codec support BEFORE I bought this gadget. Sonos got a lot of things right with the playbar, so I am confident they will get this right... in time. But do keep us updated on the progress!
Please add DTS support asap...this is a must
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I'm sad, sad as can be. I invested in the entire Sonos surround solution and can't even enjoy my Bluray collection in the manner in which it was intended to be enjoyed. I'm sad I trusted this company to provide a state of the art, cutting edge product. It won't happen again.
Userlevel 1
Badge
what takes so long to implement DTS? in my mind it's just a simple part of software - yes and licence fee SONOS had to pay. So if it will cost 20 or 30 bugs I will pay for that! but please add DTS!!!!
Just brought playbar and play3,no dts avaible,unable to read 80% of my movies library. Very frustrate!!
Badge
...Still waiting. Buying one the second you add DTS! For years I have intentionally ripped all Blurays to MKV, keeping only the DTS-track. And since my Samsung series 8 outputs DTS through SPDIF, converting all 'back' to DD5.1 is a no-go for me! 😞 PLEASE add DTS support! My two cents.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
It seems to me that Sonos have made a serious miscalculation with the lack of support for DTS. I have also recently purchased a full SONOS surround system to go with my new series 7 Samsung TV. Instead of being a simple connection as described in the PlayBar promotion I have had to connect my external devices and TV through an external optical switch box to be able to enjoy DD5.1. That was the first compromise. The second is that, (as most people who purchase this system), we are looking for top quality image and sound and will therefore be using BluRay discs as a regular source. The vast majority of these discs are only encoded in DTS and therefore even through an external switch, "the sound will be downgraded" On a positive note... For those of us who own a PS3 Slim I have found that with certain settings, the PS3 will output DD5.1 even from a DTS only Bluray. Step 1. under settings/sound settings/audio output choose Optical Digital Next choose the audio output formats and ensure that Dolby Digital 5.1 is checked in the list and save the settings Step 2. under settings/Video Settings/BD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital) choose Bitstream (Mix) This setting converts all PS3 sounds to DD5.1 The "about my system" status in the SONOS app reports DD5.1 input, even from DTS BluRay with this combination. Whilst this gives a solution for some it still does not excuse the lack of inbuilt DTS support on the Soundbar. I Hope SONOS act soon to rectify this
No DTS??? What madness is this? Just canceled my Playbar order, will now go and look at other Soundbars. I feel dirty already.
Please hurry to add DTS, This is standard for all the Bluray I own 😞
I'm disappointed that there is no DTS support as many Bluerays are offering only this. I'm waiting to buy play 3s as rear speakers until the playbar supports DTS.
Badge +2
Most of my bluray are in DTS only, this does not make sense to make such a great product and not include DTS in 2013 !!!
Please sort this out guys, I want to buy this!
I have play 3s, play 5s, a sub, and want a Playbar. I was prepared to pick it up today. I am thankful I didn't. I am contemplating returning the sub, as I am within the 30 return policy. I love the way Sonos sounds, but without DTS, I have other alternatives that I had ruled out. Please turn on DTS, and I will purchase a Playbar right away.
Please add DTS. Last month I purchased the playbar and two of the play3s. This is my first venture into surround sound and as soon as i heard you could do this wireless with sonos i invested. When I get 5.1 through my tv it sounds like nothing I'd experienced at home before, I love it! To be honest I'd never heard of DTS and so fhis wasn't an issue I'd considered until I played my first bluray and was hoping to be blown away again until a few minutes in and I could instantly tell the sound was off, even to my untrained ears. I tried the surround sound settings on the app & all seemed fine until I checked the info screen & saw 2.0 input. Only my older blu rays have DD 5.1, all my latest blu ray releases are DTS and sound disappointingly flat on my new sonos set up. It's a real shame. I'm avoiding playing my blu rays right now as it guts me to think I've just spent so much and I don't get the benefit of surround sound on my favorite movies. Please add the DTS settings to the software in your next update.
Userlevel 2
I'm a new customer to Sonos since two weeks, when I bought the Play 5, but im considering a playbar with sub. However since there's no DTS support I'm thinking of buying something else... Please give a heads up on how far the development is regarding DTS support for the playbar. So excisting and new customer know what they can expect!
Add my name to the list. Waiting for DTS support before I buy.
Sign me up for a software update for DTS