Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Userlevel 2
A hifi homecinema soundbar without dts support seems not up to date for me. Are there any plans to add dts support?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hello, have a question to the community who own a Playbar. If we supposed that the Playbar supports DTS, does your TV support DTS passthrough over the optical cable? I think the most of us have to buy an additional optical audio switch.
I definitely get DD 5.1 on the PLAYBAR. My cable box, PS3 games and any Blu-ray with a DD5.1 correctly show "Dolby Digital 5.1" when I check the Sonos app. However whenever I play a Blu-ray that only has a DTS track I see "Stereo" for audio in on the Sonos app.
Hello, have a question to the community who own a Playbar. If we supposed that the Playbar supports DTS, does your TV support DTS passthrough over the optical cable? I think the most of us have to buy an additional optical audio switch.
Well, although LPCM (as defined for A/V) can be a decoded multi-channel version of whatever the source is (i.e. If it is decoded from DTS-HS/MA or Dolby TrueHD, then is is lossless to the original master, if it is decoded from DTS or DD, it is lossy to the original master), this is not what we are talking about here. In this case the PS3 is 'downrezzing' the 5/7.1 DTS signal to 2.0 channel PCM, which is the equivalent of the old Dolby Surround signal. Note that with newer DSPs, such as Pro-Logic II (which I assume Sonos is using some form of), this can sound pretty good. But it is not true, discrete 5.1 audio.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Your PS3 is downmixing to PCM 2.0 - stereo. 6 channels squeezed into two. You lose most of the surround effect, lose the discrete centre channel and lose the subwoofer track. That's why it sounds rubbish.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
"Note that with newer DSPs, such as Pro-Logic II (which I assume Sonos is using some form of), this can sound pretty good." I disagree, it's OK at best.
The degree of difference between "pretty good" and "OK" is not even worth arguing over. Tomato, tomahto.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
@Ben: yeah, I mean the audio quality on the Star Wars Blu-rays varies throughout. Sometimes it sounds good (never great) and other times it sounds almost muted and very compressed which is a shame. From what I gather here, adding DTS support for the PLAYBAR will improve this pretty significantly.
I've just bought one today and now I wish I didn't. I assumed something basic as DTS support, would be included. Hopefully I can return the playbar. Very, very disappointing.
Userlevel 1
I can't believe the playbar doesn't support DTS, I returned mine and won't consider it again until it does. How many calls and angry emails does Sonos get a day from people who get this thing home, plug it in, put on a Blu-ray that has DTS (which is now almost all of them) and get silence? It's supposed to be a plug and play so to speak and easy for the consumer right? What "regular" consumer is going to think to research such a thing first and know if they're playing a Blu-ray with a DTS track to disable it on their player and set the audio output to bitstream in order to get it to work? That is crazy. Sure, I could figure it out but I'm tech savvy, isn't this product also supposed to cater and appeal to the non-tech savvy? I'm flabbergasted as to why DTS support wasn't included. I didn't even bother to check, I just figured it was as what product at this price point doesn't and hasn't for years? Under consideration for three months? Yikes. Sonos: add it and I will reconsider your product, otherwise forget it.
Userlevel 1
Maybe while this topic is under consideration Sonos should consider changing their marketing blurb. From: "Plays all sources plugged in to your HD TV: satellite boxes, Blu-Ray players, and video game consoles. If it’s connected to your HD TV, PLAYBAR will play it." To: "Plays some sources plugged in to your HD TV: satellite boxes, Blu-Ray players, and video game consoles. If it’s connected to your HD TV and is configured to output sound in a compatible format, PLAYBAR will play it. Otherwise you will get silence."
Well, from a dumb consumers position that statement would be true. Almost no tv passes the original signal to the optical output, it will be most likely be downmixed to stereo. That way the playbar can handle every device you connect to your tv. They only forget to mention you don't get the real deal, no true 5.1 home theather experience.
Userlevel 1
That statement is not true. If you hook up your Blu-ray player to your TV, the TV to the playbar and play a Blu-ray with a DTS audio track it just will not work. I guess I'm lucky in that my TV passes Dolby Digital 5.1, too bad just about every Blu-ray now only has a DTS English track. Unless I want to watch every movie in Spanish.
Just bought a playbar unaware of the Lack of DTS support. No sound on all of my movies played via the plex client on my LG tv unless I use the tv speakers rendering my playbar an expensive wall ornament. Please sonos DTS is a must have that needs to be added ASAP.
Just bought a playbar unaware of the Lack of DTS support. No sound on all of my movies played via the plex client on my LG tv unless I use the tv speakers rendering my playbar an expensive wall ornament. Please sonos DTS is a must have that needs to be added ASAP.
I've got the same problem with the Plex client on my Samsung SmartTV (PS51D8090). It's very disappointing.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I just had a look into my crystal ball that told me that in about six months DTS support will be implemented. And all those like Bernd who have returned their equipment in favour of some competitor will be sorry then! No, seriously, I want DTS too, but give the Sonos guys some time to get it right. Just yelling at them won't do any good. And as we can see from the past, they were implementing some new features into already existing products, so they seem to care about existing customers, too.
@frieder SONOS customers have waited years (and are still waiting) for things that are 'under consideration'.
Userlevel 1
It seems to me Sonos don't give a damn about their customers. The only way they are going to listen to their existing/prospective Playbar customers, is to send the equipment back for a refund/not purchase until they have got DTS on the Playbar. HDMI would be the best way to go forward on Playbar:2.
The lack of DTS support is a major oversight. Unfortunately I did not catch this before I made the purchase. I even spoke with a Sonos Sales Rep at Best Buy and they led me to believe it supported "all the major audio technologies" after I had asked if it supported Dolby/DTS. (Shame on me for taking their word?) Like everyone before me, the majority of my movie collection is encoded in DTS. The Playbar sounds fantastic when using Dolby Digital but it's truly a shame that I can't experience the Playbar's full potential because it does not support DTS. Help us out Sonos....
Userlevel 3
The lack of DTS support is a major oversight. Unfortunately I did not catch this before I made the purchase. I even spoke with a Sonos Sales Rep at Best Buy and they led me to believe it supported "all the major audio technologies" after I had asked if it supported Dolby/DTS. (Shame on me for taking their word?) Like everyone before me, the majority of my movie collection is encoded in DTS. The Playbar sounds fantastic when using Dolby Digital but it's truly a shame that I can't experience the Playbar's full potential because it does not support DTS. Help us out Sonos....
Which bestbuy?
Not only the lack of DTS decoding is a design flaw... After contacting the support departments of some major TV brands, I found out, that there will be ALWAYS problems getting a valid surround signal using the optical output. The idea of taking the TV to switch sources and take the audio output signal the TV delivers as only source is a good one in itself, BUT: All TV manufacturers seem to support the idea of using HDMI ARC as a digital OUTPUT!!!!! Reason is the HDMI/HDCP copy protection, which, when implemented correctly, prevents the audio and video signal from being delivered to an output without copy protection (optical output!). Only a HDMI (ARC) output can fulfill this requirement! I suppose, that SONOS should not only implement DTS by software, but also HAS TO re-design the soundbar and install a HDMI input using ARC!!!!!! COME ON SONOS, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!! And also think of the customers already having a playbar at home!!!!! The best way would be to create some kind of adapter using HDMI in as an add-on to the playbar. You promised a flawless system design everybody bought with great expectations, BUT...??? P.S. Sorry for my faulty english, I'm German
Userlevel 1
Not only the lack of DTS decoding is a design flaw... After contacting the support departments of some major TV brands, I found out, that there will be ALWAYS problems getting a valid surround signal using the optical output. The idea of taking the TV to switch sources and take the audio output signal the TV delivers as only source is a good one in itself, BUT: All TV manufacturers seem to support the idea of using HDMI ARC as a digital OUTPUT!!!!! Reason is the HDMI/HDCP copy protection, which, when implemented correctly, prevents the audio and video signal from being delivered to an output without copy protection (optical output!). Only a HDMI (ARC) output can fulfill this requirement! I suppose, that SONOS should not only implement DTS by software, but also HAS TO re-design the soundbar and install a HDMI input using ARC!!!!!! COME ON SONOS, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!! And also think of the customers already having a playbar at home!!!!! The best way would be to create some kind of adapter using HDMI in as an add-on to the playbar. You promised a flawless system design everybody bought with great expectations, BUT...??? P.S. Sorry for my faulty english, I'm German
Many thanks for this detailed information about HDMI/HDCP copy protection. If I got it right, from a license perspective it's impossible to have properly licensed and therefore legal 5.1 transcoding support for HDMI/HDCP copy protected content delivered to any optical output, regardless of the device type or content source, ‘cause the optical output cannot handle copy protected content by design ? If the content is HDMI/HDCP copy protected it’s not allowed, not licensed, maybe illegal to deliver it via any optical output ? Unfortunately the only option to connect an existing PLAYBAR is just a single optical input. Another deal breaker; maybe one of the most important, ‘cause it's about licensing and copy protection and therefore not solvable with just a few new bits and bytes delivered in a software update. I’m filled with indignation.
Userlevel 2
The above statement only applies to Dolby+ and DTS HD. Which both can not be sent through an SPDIF connection anyway... So, to state yourself, User427990: Come on, do your homework! 😉 (no offense ment, but don't believe everything some support member tells you...)
Userlevel 1
@Bernd: I get Dolby Digital 5.1 through the optical out of my TV to the PLAYBAR when it's passed from the source (cable box, PS3, Wii U, 360). Of course no DTS but here's hoping this thread will push Sonos to add it. Soon.
Userlevel 1
If I got it right the design flaw described by User427990 is especially about HDMI/HDCP copy protected content and transcoding related issues to deliver copy protected content via optical connections. In case the content is HDMI/HDCP copy protected, it's not licensed, not allowed or maybe illegal to forward it unprotected to any optical output, even if it works. For simple BITSTREAM forwarding this should not be an issue anyway, 'cause the copy protection on the BITSTREAM is not changed. For transcoding a HDMI/HDCP copy protected BITSTREAM into something unprotected it’s very likely to be at a minimum a legal issue. Not sure, but this is very likely to be one of the reasons, why it is so difficult to find an A-brand audio de-embedder with optical output working properly for all content sources.
HDCP is not an issue, it is merely a protection for illegal playback devices such as BR players, which by the way, still provide optical outputs. This has nothing to do with the Playbar. Still, it would have been better to provide a HDMI connection, however, this only works if the Playbar provides HDMI switching, connecting all sources to the playbar (thus getting cable clutter) and passing the video signal to the tv. From that perspective I understand that decision for the optical connection, there aren't any televisions which have hdmi audio outputs as far as I know.
No DTS = No Playbar for me. Seeing that I already own plenty of Sonos gear, lack of DTS suppor tis costing Sonos additional revenue from me.
Bernd, you're right. And that's the reason, most A-brand TV's don't put through DD or DTS via optical output. Some still do, but in those cases, the support folks don't like to talk about it... Maybe HDMI/ARC would be the solution, but that's not MY homework, but SONOS'