Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Userlevel 2
A hifi homecinema soundbar without dts support seems not up to date for me. Are there any plans to add dts support?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Dear Sonos, Was just about to purchase an additional Play 3, Sub and Playbar but after hearing (or not as the case will be) about the DTS issue I cant justify get the whole "5.1" setup if I wont be able to actually get true 5.1 - the fact that I would have to get an Optical Splitter further scuppers the deal 😞 Hope you heed all of the comments on here and get DTS added
I just returned my playbar. I am thinking about to sell all my equipment and get something else.
It got even worse last night when I suddenly realised that ALL of my PS3 games have DTS audio tracks so I would have to put up with "faked" 5.1 which begs the question, can Sonos please demonstrate how we can enjoy 5.1 Wireless Surround IF blu-rays with DTS are incompatiable, PS3 games with DTS are incompatiable and XBOX 360 games with DTS also. Is this system setup only for Sky HD with Dolby connected via Optical, I cant see any other usage where we will get true 5.1 Dissapointed. I was going to throw down £1500+ to complete the system but without DTS it will now be £0
Userlevel 3
Think this feature has been under consideration for too long!? Vote for this: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/implement_customers_good_ideas_more_quickly
I agree, was ready to purchase today, but with no dts, most of my media is unplayable. Disappointing.
Please add DTS!
Soooooooo disappointed with the Playbar now that I try to watch Life of Pi o Django and get no sound because of the lack of DTS support. I feel cheated. This is basic stuff guys. Fix it.
Userlevel 3
Soooooooo disappointed with the Playbar now that I try to watch Life of Pi o Django and get no sound because of the lack of DTS support. I feel cheated. This is basic stuff guys. Fix it.
Do you have the optical connected from your tv to PLAYBAR?
Yep. Had to do it because it didn't work direct from the ps3. Just a few blu rays. The sound from the ps3 is richer and bolder, from the tv you can tell is a simulation. Guess I'll have to wait for the fix... It's a lot of money for a sound sistem that doesn't support True DTS. THX.
Userlevel 3
Oh gotcha, I thought you weren't getting sound when it was hooked up to you TV...sry.
Hello, have a question to the community who own a Playbar. If we supposed that the Playbar supports DTS, does your TV support DTS passthrough over the optical cable? I think the most of us have to buy an additional optical audio switch.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hello, have a question to the community who own a Playbar. If we supposed that the Playbar supports DTS, does your TV support DTS passthrough over the optical cable? I think the most of us have to buy an additional optical audio switch.
Can DTS even be passed through an optical cable?
Userlevel 1
Yes it can.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Of course it can, has been passed through optical since the 90s. To answer Michel's question, two scenarios here. 1) Your TV will passthru DTS - Sonos doesn't work with it, you get silence. 2) Your TV will not passthru DTS - You connect your device direct to Sonos, it can't handle it, you get silence. There is only one way to fix the silence, that is the purpose of this thread.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
My TV passes Dolby Digital 5.1...right now I have my PS3 set to only pass DD and LPCM and have the audio options set to bitstream. So what is actually getting passed to the PLAYBAR is a DTS track converted to 5.1 or LPCM? In other words, if PLAYBAR were to add DTS support, I could then re-enable DTS on my PS3 and get better sound? I notice whatever is getting passed when I play the Star Wars (DTS) Blu-rays sound...off. Much worse (sounds compressed) than something with a DD5.1 track. I know this might be defeating the purpose but I've found a number of receivers that have an optical out. I guess if the PLAYBAR were to add DTS one could always get that and run all components through the reciever? Just trying to sort all this out, thanks.
@Tom. Standard DTS can be passed through optical, although some early A/V receivers had trouble with a full-bitrate signal. HD DTS formats found on Blu-ray disks, such as DTS-HD Master Audio, are not available over optical.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
@Jgatie: so if DTS is added to the PLAYBAR what would get passed from a Blu-ray like Jurassic Park or Star Wars that only have DTS-MA audio tracks? It sounds like the only way to get DTS-HD to the PLAYBAR would be if it had HDMI ports. Would something like HDMI ARC work?
DTS-HD/MA has a 'core' track of lossy 1.5 MBs DTS that can be sent via optical, but not all players support it. Check your Blu-ray player. Note that even this core track is superior to 95% of the DVD DTS tracks, which are usually 750kbs and below.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Ah, ok. Got it. Pretty sure the PS3 supports this.
Yes it does.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
And does it follow that this lossy DTS is better than LPCM or whatever the PS3 is encoding it as? Sounds like one can get DTS to the PLAYBAR either with an A/V receiver that has an optical out port or by using a TOSLink switch. That clears it up for me, thanks again @Jgatie
I get it. Even if they fix the DTS issue via firmware we won't be able to listen true DTS or 5.1, but anyway, you expect that kind of option from a brand like Sonos. The possibility to connect the Playbar to the PS3 or bluray player and listen the movies in DTS format. Most of blu rays and games use DTS now.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
PLAYBAR also does not support LPCM. It's most likely that your PS3 is sending 2.0 PCM and this is being upscaled. Alternatively, your blu-ray may contain a secondary Dolby Digital audio track and it is using that.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
PLAYBAR also does not support LPCM. It's most likely that your PS3 is sending 2.0 PCM and this is being upscaled. Alternatively, your blu-ray may contain a secondary Dolby Digital audio track and it is using that.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I get it. Even if they fix the DTS issue via firmware we won't be able to listen true DTS or 5.1, but anyway, you expect that kind of option from a brand like Sonos. The possibility to connect the Playbar to the PS3 or bluray player and listen the movies in DTS format. Most of blu rays and games use DTS now.
If they fix the DTS issue, you WILL get true DTS. You won't get DTS-MA though, that's an entirely different thing. The key benefit from adding DTS is that you get true 5.1 sound, instead of silence.