Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Userlevel 2
A hifi homecinema soundbar without dts support seems not up to date for me. Are there any plans to add dts support?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Dear all, just would like to share some additional information about DTS and especially DTS licensing with you. On traditional hardware based audio equipment DTS decoding requires a DTS sound processor chip or a multi norm audio processor chip supporting DTS decoding to play out the sound of a given DTS audio stream. These sound processor chips usually have an ‘embedded’ license and you pay for this license with the chip price, cause the developer and/or supplier of the chip is partner and/or licensee for DTS technologies from DTS Inc. and the developer and/or supplier is taking care of proper licensing. For software based DTS decoding you should become a partner and/or licensee with DTS Inc. , create a valid license contract and pay for a proper license matching the license requirement of your product. As Sonos is still not sharing comprehensive information about the DTS capabilities of the current PLAYBAR hardware and the current PLAYBAR software, my expectation about the relationship between Sonos Inc. and DTS Inc. is as follows: During PLAYBAR development Sonos decided to avoid DTS licensing cost and Sonos initially saved the money for a multi norm audio processor chip on the PLAYBAR hardware and for a DTS software license, too. Therefore they are finally forced to do it in software and must go for a valid DTS software license, if they - maybe - want to do it now or later on or whenever, but right now they have no valid license for DTS at all. I would roughly guess Sonos Inc. started negotiations with DTS Inc. during the development of the PLAYBAR and the ‘big Sonos’ stopped the negotiation on a partner and/or licensee contract and affronted DTS Inc. by kicking DTS out of the PLAYBAR or maybe the full Sonos product range. Just in case my simple thoughts are quite close to the truth, I - as the affronted license and patents owner of DTS technologies - would decline to give Sonos a DTS license at all or at a minimum triple the price. Anyway, the Sonos customers are going to ‘pay the price’ for Sonos’ faulty decisions on DTS, in worth case by never ever getting properly licensed DTS on the current PLAYBAR or any other Sonos equipment. Bernd http://www.dts.com/professionals/licensing.aspx
Quite an active imagination you've got there!
Userlevel 1
Dear all, just would like to share some additional information about DTS and especially DTS licensing with you. On traditional hardware based audio equipment DTS decoding requires a DTS sound processor chip or a multi norm audio processor chip supporting DTS decoding to play out the sound of a given DTS audio stream. These sound processor chips usually have an ‘embedded’ license and you pay for this license with the chip price, cause the developer and/or supplier of the chip is partner and/or licensee for DTS technologies from DTS Inc. and the developer and/or supplier is taking care of proper licensing. For software based DTS decoding you should become a partner and/or licensee with DTS Inc. , create a valid license contract and pay for a proper license matching the license requirement of your product. As Sonos is still not sharing comprehensive information about the DTS capabilities of the current PLAYBAR hardware and the current PLAYBAR software, my expectation about the relationship between Sonos Inc. and DTS Inc. is as follows: During PLAYBAR development Sonos decided to avoid DTS licensing cost and Sonos initially saved the money for a multi norm audio processor chip on the PLAYBAR hardware and for a DTS software license, too. Therefore they are finally forced to do it in software and must go for a valid DTS software license, if they - maybe - want to do it now or later on or whenever, but right now they have no valid license for DTS at all. I would roughly guess Sonos Inc. started negotiations with DTS Inc. during the development of the PLAYBAR and the ‘big Sonos’ stopped the negotiation on a partner and/or licensee contract and affronted DTS Inc. by kicking DTS out of the PLAYBAR or maybe the full Sonos product range. Just in case my simple thoughts are quite close to the truth, I - as the affronted license and patents owner of DTS technologies - would decline to give Sonos a DTS license at all or at a minimum triple the price. Anyway, the Sonos customers are going to ‘pay the price’ for Sonos’ faulty decisions on DTS, in worth case by never ever getting properly licensed DTS on the current PLAYBAR or any other Sonos equipment. Bernd http://www.dts.com/professionals/licensing.aspx
This thread really turned into spam. I got my playbar the day it came out and love it ever since. There are a lot of ways to work around the lack of DTS on the Playbar. My HTPC converts DTS to DD 5.1 on the fly, while watching movies. It works flawlessly with my Playbar 5.1 setup.
More like a religious crusade than Spam.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Schultz.janis, So the easy work around is to spend several hundred pounds on a noisy home theatre PC and somehow deploy that in the cabinet under my TV stand. I then need to mess around installing codecs within Windows and using a remote mouse to access the system. Not exactly what I would call convenient. Whilst I appreciate your "spam" sentiment, trivialising the DTS issue is not appreciated. If I'd wanted to run a PC machine in order to use Sonos, I'd have gone Squeezebox many years ago. But Squeezebox was fiddly and only suitable for techie people, which is why sales were poor and the product line ditched by Logitech. Sonos used to be the opposite to this, until PLAYBAR at least.
Userlevel 1
Bernd - I can understand your frustrations but at this point, I think your participation in this discussion is doing more harm than good. I am also very frustrated with the lack of DTS support on the Playbar but it is now a well known failing of the device and people can decide if it meets their own needs. IMO, this list should be for people to +1 the feature request and not for long conspiracy theories and rants. I think Sonos made a very bad decision to not include DTS support but they are not hiding that fact. Your attacks on the company and the people making these decisions seems completely irrational given the fact that you are not being forced to buy the device if you don't like how it functions. I really wish there was an ignore function on this list so I could just avoid having my email filled up with your "points" multiple times a day but I do not think there is. I would like to remain subscribed so I can keep up to date on this feature request but it is becoming more and more difficult with your constant spam. Now that you have made your opinion known, can you please step back for a while and refrain from additions multiple times a day? If you feel you need a platform, maybe you can start a thread on the regular forum so people that want to read your thoughts can follow you in a more appropriate setting?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Userlevel 3
Agreed!
So, I already posted once on this topic, but I need to add something: While I am keeping my Playbar because it's "just good enough" so far for me (DTS would make it actually "good", while not "great"), I really considered giving a new Playbar as a gift to my dad, but won't JUST because of the lack of DTS support!! My dad has all his music digitalized and is currently looking for a soundbar. I would LOVE him to have the Playbar and enter the "Sonos world", because I know he would love it, because it just works and is good quality. Nevertheless, because of the DTS issue, it doesn't really "just work" anymore and I don't want to bring a gift that causes more trouble than anything else... Until Sonos fixes this, I think my dad will have bought the Bose Solo (which he will need to buy himself, because I am not a fan), just because it is cheaper. This actually saddens me a little as it would have been the perfect opportunity to introduce my father to the joys of Sonos streaming and Internet streaming in general. But well...
So, I already posted once on this topic, but I need to add something: While I am keeping my Playbar because it's "just good enough" so far for me (DTS would make it actually "good", while not "great"), I really considered giving a new Playbar as a gift to my dad, but won't JUST because of the lack of DTS support!! My dad has all his music digitalized and is currently looking for a soundbar. I would LOVE him to have the Playbar and enter the "Sonos world", because I know he would love it, because it just works and is good quality. Nevertheless, because of the DTS issue, it doesn't really "just work" anymore and I don't want to bring a gift that causes more trouble than anything else... Until Sonos fixes this, I think my dad will have bought the Bose Solo (which he will need to buy himself, because I am not a fan), just because it is cheaper. This actually saddens me a little as it would have been the perfect opportunity to introduce my father to the joys of Sonos streaming and Internet streaming in general. But well...
I think if you are useing (or your dad) the Playbar standalone (that mean without Sub + 2 Play:3), and if we suppose that DTS will be supported, you will not ear big difference between DTS, DD, PCM sources. I´m not sure to be clear, DTS make sense only in 5.1 mode, not with the Playbar standalone.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Not strictly true. A DTS 5.1 source contains 6 distinct channels of audio. A PLAYBAR alone is able to reproduce 3 of those. Add a sub and you can reproduce 4. If you convert DTS 5.1 to PCM 2.0, you only get 2 channels. There is a massive difference in quality, mainly down to the centre channel which carries speech.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I was very excited when I saw that this product was becoming available, and was really keen to add it to my extensive Sonos systems...but I will now wait to see if improvements will be added to future versions. I hope for the sake of everybody who has already made the purchase that the DTS change can be implemented through a software solution, rather than a change in the hardware. That said, a HDMI input port sounds like it would be a nice touch.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I was very excited when I saw that this product was becoming available, and was really keen to add it to my extensive Sonos systems...but I will now wait to see if improvements will be added to future versions. I hope for the sake of everybody who has already made the purchase that the DTS change can be implemented through a software solution, rather than a change in the hardware. That said, a HDMI input port sounds like it would be a nice touch.
Yeah, I'm hopeful DTS can be added through a software/firmware update and will be extremely disappointed if it can only be implemented with a hardware revision.
Userlevel 2
Are you people actually reading the posts above you? It's clearly stated that, if Sonos wants to, DTS can be added via a software update...
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Are you people actually reading the posts above you? It's clearly stated that, if Sonos wants to, DTS can be added via a software update...
I think the main reason people keep doubting this is because it's not there already. If they can implement DTS in software, why isn't it there already? With devices on sale for £20-30 that support DTS, it surely can't be a price issue?
Userlevel 2
It's possible to implement DTS support in software. Though it's unsure if/when Sonos will do it. Big company == slow decisions...
Since my new
I am lucky that my TV passes through the ORIGINAL signal... But this is, with many BlueRay Disks, a DTS Signal, the Playbar can't handle!!!! TVs are not capable of recoding the original DTS signals from a BlueRay Player into DD 5.1... I am truly considering returning the Playbar together with the whole Sonos equipment, I bought for my house. It's quite too expensive to just play a 2.0 PCM downmix... And if I change to Teufel/Raumfeld Soundbar, I go all the way. Very disappointed!!! Best regards, Juergen
Since my new Playbar is not capable of handling the DTS Signals my TV passes through (normally, TVs are not capable of recoding the DTS signals from a BlueRay Player into DD... You are lucky if your TV even passes through the original Signal), I am truely considering returning the Playbar. It's quite too expensive to just play a 2.0 PCM downmix... Very disappointed!!!
Userlevel 1
I am lucky that my TV passes through the ORIGINAL signal... But this is, with many BlueRay Disks, a DTS Signal, the Playbar can't handle!!!! TVs are not capable of recoding the original DTS signals from a BlueRay Player into DD 5.1... I am truly considering returning the Playbar together with the whole Sonos equipment, I bought for my house. It's quite too expensive to just play a 2.0 PCM downmix... And if I change to Teufel/Raumfeld Soundbar, I go all the way. Very disappointed!!! Best regards, Juergen
Juergen, you are absolutely right. Value for money is much better on Teufel/Raumfeld. You are going to get a THX(!) certified soundbar with DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II and Dolby Virtual Speaker, a THX(!) certified sub and a Raumfeld connector for about 899,- EUR. I returned my PLAYBAR and all the Sonos equipment, too. Make an educated guess that I’m looking for ;)) Best Regards Bernd
Very disappointed there is no DTS support. Half my Blue-Ray collection won't play. Returning all 5.1 Playbar equipment.
Just had a look at their website but all I can see are sound bars with 2 speakers?
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
The more I think about the DTS issue the more it nags me like an annoying mosquito bite. The onus to research the product before purchasing is definitely on me but I (naively) just assumed that a premium home theater item like the PLAYBAR would just support everything. I mean sheesh, the PlayStation 2 and original Xbox had DTS support. Apples and oranges perhaps but still... I didn't really realize it didn't support DTS until I played my first DTS Blu-ray and had no sound. By then the ten day return period from the mom and pop store I got it from had passed otherwise I probably would have returned it. It's even more aggravating since just about every new Blu-ray the English audio track is DTS-HD or MA. I really hope they add support for it through a firmware update otherwise I may sell mine on eBay or something and look for something else.
Userlevel 1
Andy, the product I'm taking about is the 'Cinebar 51 THX Streaming' bundle for 899,- EUR. It's the Cinebar 51 THX soundbar with 6 drivers for high & mid range and a corded active sub, both together a THX certified solution without rear speakers. This is bundled with a Raumfeld (by Teufel) connector² to use it for music, too. Unfortunately the Raumfeld connector² is not fully integrated into the soundbar and therefore adding wireless speakers to the soundbar as rear for a full 5.1 experience is not possible, but for music it works as good as the Sonos and also sounds much better, 'cause they offer a dedicated 'stereo mode' for listening to your music sources. Anyway the sound of the Raumfeld (by Teufel) wireless stereo speakers is blowing away the Sonos PLAY:3 and PLAY:5 easily, ‘cause Teufel is a very experienced supplier for mid- to high-end high fidelity speaker sets, too as you may recognize instantly on a first test. To be honest this system is also not a perfect solution to combine all your hifi stereo and 5.1 equipment into one, but it's at a minimum a good alternative solution for half the price. Therefore I’m still monitoring several Sonos PLAYBAR threads, ‘cause both systems are not a perfect match for my desired setup. Luckily I'm not in a customer lock-in situation, not to Sonos, not to Teufel and free to make a decision for a system as soon as one of the monitored suppliers offers 'my solution'. Best Regards Bernd
no DTS = :- (