Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Userlevel 2
A hifi homecinema soundbar without dts support seems not up to date for me. Are there any plans to add dts support?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 1
Dear Sonos I have this great multi-room wireless music system. Its various components mean it does everything I want it to. Recently I splashed out and purchased a Playbar and Sub. They both seamlessly integrated into my system and the sound from using my music library is great. Then I played a DVD and again the sound was just fantastic. Ground shaking effects. Even when I watch the correct HD TV programs from my satellite receiver I get the same tremendous audio experience. But then I played a Blu-Ray disk. Silence. Nothing. I thought something was wrong so played around with the settings on my Blu-Ray Player. It turns out I can only get sound when using a Blu-Ray disk if the player outputs PCM 2 channel stereo, and my Sonos system clearly says Audio In:Stereo. And the audio experience is adversely affected by this. I no longer get the clear discrete sound channels and the quality suffers badly. Yes it sounds better than the speakers in my TV, but I cannot go much further than that. Is this problem due to a complete design oversight or is my Playbar faulty? Yours faithfully Sonos customer.
Hello Bernd - appreciate the feedback. But I was displaying a little sardonic humour in my posting. I know when I get Dolby Digital 2.0 or 5.1 or good old stereo from my playbar. Yes, the DVD is encoded with DD5.1 and on certain broadcast programs I can get DD2.0, or occasionally DD5.1. With that I am very happy with the sound. I also think the playbar + sub are great for music. I have the Connect and Connect:Amp should I want something more. My whole issue comes down to 1 thing. No DTS support.
Userlevel 1
Dear Sonos I have this great multi-room wireless music system. Its various components mean it does everything I want it to. Recently I splashed out and purchased a Playbar and Sub. They both seamlessly integrated into my system and the sound from using my music library is great. Then I played a DVD and again the sound was just fantastic. Ground shaking effects. Even when I watch the correct HD TV programs from my satellite receiver I get the same tremendous audio experience. But then I played a Blu-Ray disk. Silence. Nothing. I thought something was wrong so played around with the settings on my Blu-Ray Player. It turns out I can only get sound when using a Blu-Ray disk if the player outputs PCM 2 channel stereo, and my Sonos system clearly says Audio In:Stereo. And the audio experience is adversely affected by this. I no longer get the clear discrete sound channels and the quality suffers badly. Yes it sounds better than the speakers in my TV, but I cannot go much further than that. Is this problem due to a complete design oversight or is my Playbar faulty? Yours faithfully Sonos customer.
Hello Adam, you are absolutely right. The whole issue is missing DTS support on the PLAYBAR from Sonos. But as I learned from some Sonos 'support' mails, I also posted on this thread, Sonos is not giving any commitment to do the upgrade on time or in the near future or whenever. Neither they guarantee it's going to work on the existing hardware, just in case you keep the current PLAYBAR and stay patient until they maybe add DTS support to the PLAYBAR v2. From my point of view the only secure way to get a proper 5.1 system from Sonos is to return the current scrap and wait for full and hassle-free DTS support. I don’t trust their inaccurate marketing posts anymore.
Userlevel 1
It's of course, for speaker in this price segment, not really an advantage to not support DTS. But is the hardware compliant with the DTS standard, or is it only a software integration?
In most cases the whole issue is missing DTS Support on the PLAYBAR from Sonos. As I learned from some Sonos 'support' mails, I also posted on this thread, Sonos is not giving any commitment to do the DTS upgrade on time or in the near future or whenever. Neither they guarantee it's going to work on the existing hardware, just in case you keep the current PLAYBAR and stay patient until they maybe add DTS support to the PLAYBAR v2. From my point of view the only secure way to get a proper 5.1 system from Sonos is to return the current scrap and wait for full and hassle-free DTS support. I don’t trust their inaccurate marketing posts anymore. Make your own decisions, but take my advice for a real 5.1 experience into account: Miss the weak Sonos PLAYBAR and go for something real ! In case you already paid 2k for a faked 5.1, return the scrap instantly !
Userlevel 1
So disappointed and frustrated - just received my Playbar and it's stunning except for one point
In most cases the whole issue is missing DTS Support on the PLAYBAR from Sonos. As I learned from some Sonos 'support' mails, I also posted on this thread, Sonos is not giving any commitment to do the DTS upgrade on time or in the near future or whenever. Neither they guarantee it's going to work on the existing hardware, just in case you keep the current PLAYBAR and stay patient until they maybe add DTS support to the PLAYBAR v2. From my point of view the only secure way to get a proper 5.1 system from Sonos is to return the current scrap and wait for full and hassle-free DTS support. I don’t trust their inaccurate marketing posts anymore. Make your own decisions, but take my advice for a real 5.1 experience into account: Miss the weak Sonos PLAYBAR and go for something real ! In case you already paid 2k for a faked 5.1, return the scrap instantly !
Userlevel 1
I want DTS! Just realized that it seems that a lot of Blue Rays have DTS instead of dolby 5.1, whereas the DVD has dolby (e.g.: the Movie "walk the line", German sound). So should I really by the "older" DVD to have the good sound, although the Blue Ray contains much more material? By the way: My TV does not put out dolby 5.1, but 2.0. So I connected my PS3 directly with the playbar and it works. But the difference to the DTS issue is that it is fixable by the customer...
Userlevel 1
@Sonos - as DTS-support is already being considered, how long will this consideration process take? Any time-tag on that?
Userlevel 1
I also have the playbar along with the sub and various other components in other rooms. The lack of DTS is indeed highly frustrating and should be pushed as an update asap to prevent people buying other solutions. Otherwise I'm very happy with it and would recommend it to others.
Userlevel 1
I just bought the playbar and realized it doesn't support DTS. This is so disappointing!! Please add support for DTS on the playbar in the next update.
Userlevel 1
I just returned my playbar because of the inferior sound from my Blu Rays. I have two play:3's and a sub and would love to have a true 5.1 system. Please Sonos...
Congratulations ! Returning the scrap is the right thing to do.
Userlevel 1
Meh. I'm realizing how uncommon AV receivers that have optical out are. And as has been mentioned previously TV's, other then a very small handful, do not have the capability to output DTS. I think Sonos really bit themselves in the butt by not including at least 1 HDMI port on this thing. I have 30 days to really determine if I want to keep the Playbar.
Hello everybody. First I have to say that I'm one of those waiting for the DTS support to buy the Playbar (and the Sub). But I was wondering about two things when I was reading all the posts here: - Many comments are very aggressive. I don't think that this discussion shows that Sonos is arrogant. They just made a wrong decision and now it's not so easy to fix this. If you take a look at the ranking of the "ideas", you'll see that are other topics ranked higher than this one (anyway DTS is number one in my personal ranking). Next thing is that I understand completely that any commitment from Sonos (either in chat mail or anywhere else) would have real bad consequences for them if for any reason they cannot implement support. So for sure they don't give a clear answer YET. - Do most of you have DTS passthrough on your TVs? I mean I'm also waiting for DTS but I already accepted that 5.1 is only possible with a optical hub. If you have passthrough what are your TV models? In the end I need to say, that I'm also disappointed in the Playbar, because it doesn't fit my needs completely until a) they add DTS support and unfortunately b) until I got a new TV that supports 5.1 output from a HDMI source. So I'll either wait for DTS to have a Soundbar that requires manual optical switching with full 5.1 support OR I buy a new TV OR I buy Sonos connect for my existing Canton DM.90 OR I wait for Playbar2. Thomas
Userlevel 1
Hi, I have now tested my TV (it's a 8-series, Samsung LED UE55D8000). I have a file with both DTS and DD5.1 audio track. - While using the media player (Plex) I have a true DD5.1 with the DD audio track (Sonos telling me that it is a DD5.1 source) and silence with the DTS track (SONOS is telling me that is a Stereo source) - While using the same file but played on a computer connected to the TV with a HDMI cable I get exactly the same behaviour (OK with DD5.1 and silence with DTS track) The conclusion is that there are TVs that do pass through the digital signal even when connected to the HDMI. (and my TV is two years old...) So for me the playbar is almost perfect (will be with DTS) So, what I am waiting for is for SONOS to implement the DTS and allow me to enjoy fully of the wonderful sound that DTS offer. And yes, this is fully possible to implement on the existing HW. Why shouldn't? They confirmed it already...And SONOS is keen about their brand and they will do it. It's just a matter of time.... Regards, Adrian
Userlevel 1
Hi, I have now tested my TV (it's a 8-series, Samsung LED UE55D8000). I have a file with both DTS and DD5.1 audio track. - While using the media player (Plex) I have a true DD5.1 with the DD audio track (Sonos telling me that it is a DD5.1 source) and silence with the DTS track (SONOS is telling me that is a Stereo source) - While using the same file but played on a computer connected to the TV with a HDMI cable I get exactly the same behaviour (OK with DD5.1 and silence with DTS track) The conclusion is that there are TVs that do pass through the digital signal even when connected to the HDMI. (and my TV is two years old...) So for me the playbar is almost perfect (will be with DTS) So, what I am waiting for is for SONOS to implement the DTS and allow me to enjoy fully of the wonderful sound that DTS offer. And yes, this is fully possible to implement on the existing HW. Why shouldn't? They confirmed it already...And SONOS is keen about their brand and they will do it. It's just a matter of time.... Regards, Adrian
I would also love to see my movies via plex on the Samsung TV and listen to the DTS track via Sonos Playbar/Sub/Play: 3! It seems quite logical to me that Sonos won't commit the DTS support until they made sure, that everything works fine and the new software release will support DTS for sure. But then what's the problem? Is it just a question of licening fees as stated above? As this thread shows there is quite a demand for DTS support and - despite the limitation of actual TVs - quite a few situations were the DTS track would be available for the sonos system (Plex/TV passthrough/direct connection). This thread has become a top five place in the popular ideas within a short time and an amazing number of replies and likes! It's up to you Sonos: Let us know what you intend to do or just keep silent and we know that there have to be bigger problems than just the question of licening. One thing is clear for me: I would love to buy a playbar (and a Sub) for a great movie expierence but I will certainly not do that before DTS support is confirmed! If not just a few but all customers do the same and wait to buy / or return the playbar until DTS is fully supported - we will hear soon from Sonos. The sooner the better...
Userlevel 1
Hello everybody. First I have to say that I'm one of those waiting for the DTS support to buy the Playbar (and the Sub). But I was wondering about two things when I was reading all the posts here: - Many comments are very aggressive. I don't think that this discussion shows that Sonos is arrogant. They just made a wrong decision and now it's not so easy to fix this. If you take a look at the ranking of the "ideas", you'll see that are other topics ranked higher than this one (anyway DTS is number one in my personal ranking). Next thing is that I understand completely that any commitment from Sonos (either in chat mail or anywhere else) would have real bad consequences for them if for any reason they cannot implement support. So for sure they don't give a clear answer YET. - Do most of you have DTS passthrough on your TVs? I mean I'm also waiting for DTS but I already accepted that 5.1 is only possible with a optical hub. If you have passthrough what are your TV models? In the end I need to say, that I'm also disappointed in the Playbar, because it doesn't fit my needs completely until a) they add DTS support and unfortunately b) until I got a new TV that supports 5.1 output from a HDMI source. So I'll either wait for DTS to have a Soundbar that requires manual optical switching with full 5.1 support OR I buy a new TV OR I buy Sonos connect for my existing Canton DM.90 OR I wait for Playbar2. Thomas
Even if it does not come across on a first read: I like the Sonos music players, they are fine, the concept is good and it works excellent for music. Period. The PLAYBAR and the Sonos home cinema approach is definitively not OK, due to the many wrong decision Sonos made on the product concepts and design. Biggest flaw is from my point of view the missing DTS support. Those wrong Sonos decisions are based on bad market research and/or ignoring their customers and/or ignoring the common home cinema profile and/or additional Sonos company profit on DTS license savings. The easy solution I asked patiently for several times was simple: Just confirm in writing the current PLAYBAR is absolutely OK to support DTS and Sonos is going to offer the DTS upgrade in 2013. I even did not ask for a free DTS upgrade, as a lot of other users. A simple answer from Sonos could have stop most of the hassle, but they do nothing, but babbling. In the meantime they are going on buffaloing customers with marketing statements as you still can see and read on the Sonos website: 'Plays all sources plugged in to your HD TV: satellite boxes, Blu-Ray players, and video game consoles. If it’s connected to your HD TV, PLAYBAR will play it.' This Sonos statement about the PLAYBAR is DEFINETEVLEY WRONG ! - Nothing else, but wrong. I paid on my free wish good money for a product called PLAYBAR as Sonos is describing on their website, but the given information on the website is wrong, I would say it’s intentionally wrong, an invalid and willing marketing fabrication. They are just offering the mad ‘Stereo Input with Sonos Virtual Surround Sound’ for at a minimum 80% of their customers and at a minimum for 80% of your video content, you also paid a lot of good money for. I’m likely to assume in the meantime they know they are wrong, but they keep going knowingly with this wrong information, they are not fair-minded. This is the main reason why I finally do not trust Sonos , especially their marketing, anymore. In my humble opinion they are more likely to waste my cash I paid for the PLAYBAR for whatever, but they do not confirm to me they are going to correct their errors they made on the initial launch. My wrong decision was to trust the Sonos marketing information and to buy this scrappy thing called PLAYBAR. In comparison to Sonos I’ve corrected my faulty decision and returned finally all Sonos products today. I got my good money back, no customer lock-in due to bad engineered Sonos equipment and I’m free for new business with a good and trustworthy supplier. Anyway I’m still asking for the product the Sonos marketing text is describing on their website, but it will be hard to convince me Sonos is indeed serious about home cinema use of their music products.
Userlevel 1
To all not fully satisfied PLAYBAR users missing DTS on the current PLAYBAR: Return the scrappy PLAYBAR without DTS! Return it! Return it! Return it! If you keep the scrappy PLAYBAR without DTS your opinion is not worth a tinker’s damn. It’s nice to see people counting on Sonos to be keen about their brand, to be serious about home cinema usage, but only for Sonos. From my point of view I can only see a typical profit driven arrogant company aware of their brand awareness and market share. As soon as they have your money, the user opinion is not worth a brass farthing for that kind of companies. Only profit counts for companies like Sonos, in this case profit by saving a few bucks on DTS licensing. And it's finally their business to generate cash. In case you keep the PLAYBAR scrap as scrappy as it is right now, you can probably wait for your DTS upgrade till the cows come home. Sonos is not your friend. They are not friendly. They just go for your money! Your money, nothing else matters! AGAIN: To all not fully satisfied PLAYBAR users missing DTS on the current PLAYBAR: Return the scrappy PLAYBAR without DTS! Return it! Return it! Return it!
Userlevel 3
To say they are unfriendly...The few times that I have, and the couple times my friends have interacted with Sonos it's been great. If you swing to the sonos forums there has been dozens of features that have been implemented (alarm, sleep timer, favorites, cross fade etc) from users.
Badge +18
Hi Bernd, We're sorry to lose an enthusiastic customer like yourself but respect your decision to return the PLAYBAR based on the lack of DTS support. I want to thank you for sharing your comments with us here and wish you the best of luck with your next system. Regards, John
Userlevel 1
To say they are unfriendly...The few times that I have, and the couple times my friends have interacted with Sonos it's been great. If you swing to the sonos forums there has been dozens of features that have been implemented (alarm, sleep timer, favorites, cross fade etc) from users.
Don't get me wrong: All support persons at Sonos I talked to were very friendly and polite. Definitively no bad word about the people working at the Sonos' support team. Everything is fine about the people. Sonos as a business company is not friendly; they are as evil as every large profit organization.
Userlevel 3
Bc lack of dts? And/Or bc of they are not commenting when/if they will?
Userlevel 1
Hi John, just for music I indeed enjoyed the PLAYBAR and the other Sonos music players. Nevertheless I returned everything, because for home cinema use in 5.1 it's not working properly. Sonos - as a company with a very high customer lock-in potential - simply missed to give me and a lot of other customers a clear statement about the future development and capabilities of the current PLAYBAR, especially on DTS. This customer lock-in potential is good and bad for Sonos: In case somebody goes for Sonos, it's very likely to expand the solution with more and more Sonos components. In case somebody does not, it's even more hard work to get him back at the table. My business case was not just about this little PLAYBAR thing, it was about a full multi room system for a 250qm lodge, including a lot of speakers, soundbars and some controllers. I must say, Sonos simply missed to walk through an open door, just by giving no comprehensive answers to my simple questions. Sincerely Bernd
Userlevel 1
Yes and no. Yes, the starter driving me up the wall was the missing DTS support. No, the main reason is Sonos was not willing to give comprehensive answers. In general I asked Sonos just for a simple commitment about the current PLAYBAR hardware and the missing DTS support. They send standard excuses and marketing chit-chat. I asked several times patiently, but nothing. Therefore I indeed returned all Sonos equipment. I finally don't want to keep a single piece of Sonos hardware. I hate customer lock-in situations, but nevertheless I gave Sonos a good and easy chance to convince me ... and they missed it. It's time to talk also to other players in the multi room game.
Badge +18
Hi Bernd, Thanks for responding and I want to let you know that we hear you loud and clear. All the same, as a company Sonos has nothing further to share about the posibility of DTS support, either yes or no, at this time. We understand that this is a dealbreaker for you and for what it's worth, we're truly sorry to see you go. Best, John
Bernd you have spoken to Sonos by returning your equipment. Eventually once the newest wears off of the Playbar and sales begin to stall that will be the only time Sonos decides to add support for DTS audio. I had to recommend against using Sonos to the CFO of our company. Our CAO told him instead of spending ten times more for whole home audio and video distribution that he could use the Sonos instead, but I tampered that real quick by mentioning that the lack of DTS support will cause him fits when he played any Bluray that only has DTS audio streams. People in those positions do not like dealing with switching audio streams, etc. They just want what ever solution they incorporate into their homes to work. Just think about that one conversation that I had with him regarding not using Sonos. Just think about how many of his colleagues, family and friends that will deter from the company Sonos. Speak by doing exactly what you, I, and others have done and that is return you equipment and promote another organization. Sonos is not the only company in the world that has home audio equipment.
I just had a look into my crystal ball that told me that in about six months DTS support will be implemented. And all those like Bernd who have returned their equipment in favour of some competitor will be sorry then! No, seriously, I want DTS too, but give the Sonos guys some time to get it right. Just yelling at them won't do any good. And as we can see from the past, they were implementing some new features into already existing products, so they seem to care about existing customers, too.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
We are not yelling we try to keep it civil but also keep it practical company listen more when you return the products or don't buy their product... don't call name, don't get upset, don't go crazy on the forum just return your product and said it lacks DTS support I don't want it.....Votes with your wallet always works....