Answered

Playing 5.1 mixed music on Sonos home theater

• 12 July 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge
Hi all!

I was wondering if it was possible for the Sonos system (playbar, 2 x ONE , sub ) to properly process music mixed for 5.1 . Pink Floyd DSOTM 5.1 mix for example. Or does it down mix it and just give stereo sound to the front and rear channel (along with frequencies to the sub).
icon

Best answer by ratty 12 July 2018, 23:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I'm curious about this too. I assume you have the SACD version?
Sonos can't decode 5.1 music files, only stereo. The DD5.1 decode performed by a PLAYBAR operates on a signal arriving via the S/PDIF optical.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
The DD5.1 decode performed by a PLAYBAR operates on a signal arriving via the S/PDIF optical.
But don't all SACD players have an optical out?
The DD5.1 decode performed by a PLAYBAR operates on a signal arriving via the S/PDIF optical.
But don't all SACD players have an optical out?

Sure. Plug that into a PLAYBAR and it ought to work.

The OP was about audio files and was tagged as such.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
The OP was about audio files and was tagged as such.
Ooops! Missed that! Sorry! 😃
Userlevel 4
I've been sent 5.1 audio files and my solution was Plex via a Samsung TV -> Playbar. Basically using the Plex server & client + TV as a massively over-engineered audio format converter. Shitty but functioning.

Here's a thought: what happens if you group one Sonos 5.1 system with another? does the master downmix before streaming to the other group member, or do they both play the 5.1 content correctly?
Here's a thought: what happens if you group one Sonos 5.1 system with another? does the master downmix before streaming to the other group member, or do they both play the 5.1 content correctly?
The 5.1 content is confined to the PLAYBAR which receives and decodes it. Grouped players receive downmixed stereo. Moreover it's been confirmed that the stream sent to the other players undergoes lossy compression.