Answered

Playbase with PLAY:1

• 27 December 2017
  • 1 reply

Hello, I just got a 2 play 1 , play sub and the playbase. It works great for music but it is not working for surround. I have it hooked up via the optical cable to my TV. Any advise on how to get it going or what to check would be very much appreciated.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 27 December 2017, 05:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I'm assuming the PLAYBASE is working, correct? I'd open up the controller app while playing something on the TV, and go to Settings>About My Sonos System, and look for the PLAYBASE. In that section, there should be a line that says Audio In. That tells you what kind of signal the PLAYBASE is getting from your TV.

From your description, I'm betting it will say "Stereo", or perhaps PCM.

At that point, you should go in to the audio settings on your TV, and see what they're set to. You TV will pass out what you tell it to, so you'll want to set it to Dolby Digital, which is the maximum signal the PLAYBASE can interpret. Then, once you've set the TV itself, you need to go in to every device that you have connected to your TV. Cable / Satellite box, DVD player, game console, whatever you have, and do the same thing, i.e. find the audio settings screen and set the device to Dolby Digital.

Now, if your "About my Sonos System" already says Dolby Digital, you may want to do a couple of things. First, check that the source actually has real surround sound. Talk shows that may show up in Dolby Digital usually don't carry a lot of surround signal, Movies, on the other hand, can be really good at that. If you can, pick something like a Star Wars movie, or a recent war movie, they have a lot of surround sound. Then open up the controller app again, and click on Settings> Room Settings> {room name that has the PLAYBASE in it}> Advanced Audio> Surround Settings, and you can play with the volume of the surround speakers in relation to the PLAYBASE.

Hope this helps.