Question

Playbase, Samsung TV, 2 Play 1's for 5.0 Surround Sound

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
OK, I need some general input from those of you that have a bigger brain than I do. I just got the Playbase, and Setup 2 Play 1's as surround sound. TV - Connected to Cable Box with HDMI Cable, ROKU 4 Connected to TV with HDMI. Playbase to TV with TOSLINK Optical Cable. I'm hearing very FAINT sound out of the 2 Play 1's. Now Sonos Support had me go in on my Samsung TV(UNE46) to try to UPDATE PDM to Dolby, however the Dolby is grayed out and I can not make this change. Can anyone take a minute and explain what I'm doing wrong, or maybe it's just something that I will never be able to have with my setup. Thanks in advance for any information, it will be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Sounds more like a Samsung question than a Sonos question, but I'll take a stab.

Is it possible that the video stream that you're watching while fiddling with the audio settings isn't a Dolby Digital stream? It's the only reason I can think of that would cause the option to be greyed out.

I'd also double check to see if there was a firmware update to the TV, and then make sure that Dolby Digital is turned on properly on the Cable Box in the audio settings for it, as well as checking the same thing on the audio settings for the Roku.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Airgetlam, I also believe it's a Samsung issue, I have tried Netflix and VUDU and the setting is still grayed out. I know there is a firmware update for my TV, I just need to figure out how to go get it for my TV.
Well, I don't own a Samsung myself, but it should be somewhere in those options that you pull up on the screen, assuming that you've got it connected to the internet :)

Good luck!
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Airgetlam, I downloaded the file and put on on a USB drive and updated the firmware... So good and bad news... It did nothing to the sound on my Plabase/Play1/Play1 while watching TV. The Dolby is still grayed out... There is sound coming out of both Play 1s, but I think it's just stereo, very low sound on those... The good news is I went into my ROKU and was able to set Dolby on it, and WOW, what a sound coming from all 3.... Watched a preview of Star Wars, so my ROKU is working and that's where we watch our movies from and I'm fine with that..... Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post, I truly appreciate it.
Just like @Airgetlam said, I would touch base with Samsung to determine why Dolby Digital is grayed out. Keep us in the loop with what comes from that discussion.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Here is Samsung's Response, Hopefully it will help others when running into this issue. My TV Model # is UN46E6000F

The Digital Audio Out allows you to select the audio format that you would like to output the sound from your TV, PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, and DTS Neo 2.5. However, there are restrictions on when digital (Dolby & DTS) signals are allowed to be selected. The Digital Audio format is only available to be selected when the TV is decoding the Digital signal and not an outside source. This means that there will only be three instances when you will be able to select Digital options as your output audio format.

1. When the TV is receiving an ATSC or QAM channel that is carrying the Digital audio track.

2. When the TV is using a streaming service, such as Amazon VOD, Vudu, Hulu, etc. that has a Digital track.

3. When using the TVs Allshare functions (USB or Network) and the file includes a supported digital track.

Because the TV does not decode the signal (it is decoded at the sources and then sent to the TV) from an HDMI source the digital options will not be available from any HDMI sources.
Badge
@MrMookie123 - Well put, and I would like to add, to get the most from this TV in particular. And, I know this may not be peoples favorite option. But personally speaking, I would just keep leave it at PCM. And change it whenever watching a Dolby Digital.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Thanks Jonathan. As of now that's exactly what I plan to do. Thanks for the reply.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I had the same problem. Samsung does not pass through Dolby from an HDMI source. My Netflix and Amazon streams sound great on my 5.1 system but the cablebox feed is only PCM. I purchased an optical switch on Amazon and am going to try a work around so that the optical out on my cable box and my TV can both feed into the Playbar
I am having a similar issue. Samsung support said it does not support Dolby when using HDMI from cable box to the TV. They suggested using RCA cables. Has anyone tried that?
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I am having a similar issue. Samsung support said it does not support Dolby when using HDMI from cable box to the TV. They suggested using RCA cables. Has anyone tried that?

RCA cables won't work for Sonos. You need an HDMI audio extractor. You plug your HDMI devices into the extractor, it strips the audio and outputs via optical, and then passes the video to your TV. It's a common thing among Samsung TVs.

I'm using the Monoprice MD-415ARC but there are other devices that accomplish the same thing.

Keep in mind that this is only for HDMI devices. The TV's built in apps shouldn't have any issues outputting 5.1. If you're looking to connect an audio extractor to the Sonos as well as a signal from the TV, there are optical switches available as well so you can have more than 1 optical cable feed the Sonos.
I am not getting 5.1 when I stream through Amazon Fire either. Will the Monoprice MD-415ARC fix both issues?
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
It should, as long as the device itself is capable of 5.1 and the content your watching is being output that way.