Playbase Dolby Dynamic Range Question?

• 2 May 2017
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I'm finding the range of voices vs explosion etc in action movies so wide that I can hardly hear voices but explosions are earth shaking. I realize this may be the way the movie is intended but would expect voices to clearer. Turning on Speech Enhancement does not help much and night mode just crushes all detail of the range. My Sony TV does have a sound setting to adjust the Dolby Dynamic range to Standard or Compressed. Currently it's set at Standard I'm going to try Compressed but wondering if anyone else had similar experience. I find this is an issue more with my Apple TV and tv built Netflix App

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
My real question is what would be best using the the tv dynamic range compression or stick to sonos night mode?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
This issue has come up a few times here with Playbar owners. Some (myself included) have felt that dialogue is not loud enough. Sonos' solution has always been to use Speech Enhancement...and that helps a bit for me, but not as much as I'd like. I've also jacked my treble up and bass down a bit. Which has slightly helped.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Have you tried tuning your Playbase with Trueplay?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Yes but I found the Trueplay tuning sounds worse. Voices were more muffled and sound felt flat.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Just out of interest what Sony TV do you have?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I have the 55XBR850D
If you swipe down on your Apple TV remote (while watching something) there are two audio options. Full dynamic range and Reduce Loud Sounds. That might help you.