Answered

playbar works but surround play 3 speakers don't

• 29 September 2013
  • 223 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

223 replies

Hello,

If you're experiencing an issue where the TV sound doesn't have the surround speakers active, but playing music works fine there is a patch available which will boost the sound. This is for a specific issue which we can identify if you submit a diagnostic for us. 

Please reply back to this thread with your confirmation number and we can check if you're experiencing this issue and flag you for the update if it's applicable.

Cheers.

Hi! Same problem here with two play 1 fluttering in surround at the playbar. I sent a diacnostic package 3373794. Could u send me an update patch, too? Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello,

If you're experiencing an issue where the TV sound doesn't have the surround speakers active, but playing music works fine there is a patch available which will boost the sound. This is for a specific issue which we can identify if you submit a diagnostic for us. 

Please reply back to this thread with your confirmation number and we can check if you're experiencing this issue and flag you for the update if it's applicable.

Cheers.

Hi User120832, you're now flagged for that update. Go ahead and check under Manage and update.
I am experiencing the same issue - play bar works fine with tv, but not the play 3s Can you please assist? Thank you
Hello,

Cheers.

I am also having the same problem. Diagnostic number 3378092. Can you please send me a patch? Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello everyone, 

We've developed a fix for the PLAYBAR fluttering issue which can be applied via a small update. We've moved this update into an Open Beta. You no longer need to be flagged for a special update, by posting a diagnostic. If you are still having fluttering on your Surround Speakers, please follow these steps and enroll in the Sonos Beta.

If you've already been patched, you're systems don't need to be updated at this time.

Cheers.
Hello - I am having the same problem as well with no surround sound while watching tv and nothing happens when I change settings. Diognostic # 3368184. Thanks for the help!
Hi, I have set same problem.... I use have playbar and its okay, but my two rear Sonos 3 have some issue when watching TV. Sound comes and go. Often when the its low sound in the movies.... Diagnostic... 3492747.
3506981 is my diagnositc number. I've tried everything!
Hello,

You may need to adjust the volume of your surround speakers higher. Can you please follow these directions to increase the volume of your surrounds?

Using a handheld Sonos controller

1. From the Settings menu, select Room Settings.
  2. Select the room the PLAYBAR and surround speakers are located in. It appears as Room (+LS+RS) on the Room Settings menu.
  3. Select Advanced Audio -> Surround Settings.
  4. Choose one of the following:
  • SURROUNDS: Choose On or Off to turn the sound from the surround speakers on and off.
  • Drag your finger across the slider to increase or decrease the volume of the surround speakers. 
Using the Sonos Controller for Mac or PC

1. Select Manage -> Settings (PC) or Sonos -> Preferences (Mac).
  2. Select Room Settings if it is not already highlighted on the left.
  3. Choose the room the PLAYBAR and surround speakers are located in from the Room Settings for drop-down.
  4. Select the Surrounds tab.
  5. Choose one of the following:
  • SURROUNDS: Check to turn the sound from the surround speakers on; uncheck to turn it off.
  • Click and drag the slider to increase or decrease the volume of the surround speakers.
Please let us know if you're still experiencing this issue with the surrounds turned up.

Cheers.

Me too! 3506995
I too have the same problem. After following your instructions, the problem remains. Surround sound works fine on all sources except tv when there is no sound at all coming from my two play3's.
Me too! 3506995
I am having a similar problem. My 2 play3s do not have sound from my tv, but my sound bar is working fine. I checked that surround was on and made sure everything was updated. I also checked for a beta update, but there was none available. My diagnostic number is 3507670
3551533 diag number. Play 3's flutter constantly. I have updated to Beta, adjusted volume, multiple sources, etc. It sounds like someone is taking the volume control and moving it up and down really fast while the surrounds are playing. The playbar itself sounds fine.
I am having a similar problem. My 2 play3s do not have sound from my tv, but my sound bar is working fine. I checked that surround was on and made sure everything was updated. I also checked for a beta update, but there was none available. My diagnostic number is 3507670
Mine was doing the same thing. I finally got through to Sonos and they did an update. they work great now. Try and call them, no one responded to this forum for about a month.
I am also having same problem but have previously downloaded patch a few months ago but did a factory reset and now play 3's are quiet when connected to tv. 3553699
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I am also having same problem but have previously downloaded patch a few months ago but did a factory reset and now play 3's are quiet when connected to tv. 3553699
Hi Mark,

Your system isn't currently running the patch or update for the fluttering issue. You could sign up for the Open Beta that's active as it includes that patch. Just a note though, that patch isn't to increase the sounds of your rear speakers, it has changes to the way stereo is upmixed and corrects an issue where the rear speakers will flutter up and down in volume irregularly. Stereo up-mixing tends to have quieter rear channels as it's mostly loud action and soundtracks that get coded to the rears.

If you're having trouble, we'd recommend giving a call to our Customer Care Line so a technician can assist live.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
3551533 diag number. Play 3's flutter constantly. I have updated to Beta, adjusted volume, multiple sources, etc. It sounds like someone is taking the volume control and moving it up and down really fast while the surrounds are playing. The playbar itself sounds fine.
Hi Duane,

Doesn't look like you're system actually got the update for this. I've flagged you for a patch, can you please check for updates and download them? This should fix the fluttering issue.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi User347343,

Looks like you already spoke with our Customer Care team and got this resolved. You're surrounds were turned down too low and worked great once turned up. Please let us know if anything further comes up.

Thanks
Hi mark, I've got the same issue with fluttering surround play 1s SonosID111309971 Jon
same problem 3571657
Hello - I am having the same problem as well with no surround sound while watching tv and nothing happens when I change settings. Diognostic # 3368184. Thanks for the help!
I have the same problem. My play bar works with the TV but my surround play 1 speakers don't. Please advise
Same issue. confirmation # is 3673548
Hello,

Cheers.

3722564 thank you!
Hi Ryan. Same problem for me with two play 1's and a playbar. My diagnostics no is 3321455
3722564 thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Stephen, if you're still having trouble I'd recommend giving us a call on our Customer Care line. 

@User356335, looks like you've already worked with our support team and resolved this. Seems you only had the one PLAY:1 so it couldn't pair as a surround properly. 
Mike, low audio levels on surround for TV output as well. No betas available. 3774873.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The Open Beta from January was for version 4.3 which was released. The newest version of the software, 5.0, also includes the fluttering issue.

If you're surround speakers are really quiet, you can turn them up under Room Settings > PLAYBAR > Surrounds.

If you think the audio isn't quite right, I'd recommend giving us a call so a technician can take a closer look at the system.