Answered

Playbar with external ceiling speakers for 5.1

Question: Would like to run a Playbar (no receiver) for the front 3 speakers (LCR) connected to a TV and also connect to existing ceiling speakers for the rears. Possible with a Playbar? Sub would be awesome too.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 28 March 2018, 20:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Not sure what you mean by “no receiver”, is that an AVRreceiver? The Sonos PLAYBAR doesn’t need on, it works with an optical connection to the TV, and interprets the Dilby Digital signal inside of it.

A Sonos sub could easily be added to the PLAYBAR, again with no need for a receiver.

The issue comes when you want to use existing speakers for the surrounds. This requires use of a CONNECT: AMP, which has to be connected via an Ethernet cable to the PLAYBAR ( or your router, and the PLAYBAR needs to be connected via cable as well)

Here’s an FAQ on this site that explains how to set up a CONNECT:AMP as a surround driver.

That set up would give you the 5.1 you’re looking for. I’d honestly be tempted by ditching the existing speaker and getting a pair of Sonos Ones to use as surrounds instead, but that’s just an opinion.
Understood, thank you. By "no receiver", I simply meant that I wasn't planning to use a separate receiver. I'll consider the Ones, but really like the idea of hidden (recessed) units. I haven't actually bought the ceiling speakers yet, but the locations are pre-wired for them. Will think about it. The all Sonos solution is more costly as well. Thanks again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes your choices are using Play speakers or if you have speakers already in ceiling for rears then the Connect:Amp attached to those speakers (with only stipulation that the Connect:Amp has to be connected to the Playbar or router by Ethernet cable).
See this thread:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2248
This thread made me think that with so many homes now using the open floor plan, many times there isn't a place to put a speaker to use for the rears in surround. Has Sonos ever considered adding a ceiling speaker to its product line?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That would require ac power up there. Running wire from connectamp easier.
This thread made me think that with so many homes now using the open floor plan, many times there isn't a place to put a speaker to use for the rears in surround. Has Sonos ever considered adding a ceiling speaker to its product line?

I would guess they thought about it and rejected it. First off, consider that sonos only makes wireless speakers. Specifically they don't have speaker wires, they have power cords. So instead of wiring speaker wire (low voltage), you'd have to wire for power in your ceiling...a more difficult task to consider. Not to mention that these speakers would cost more than you're typical in-ceiling speakers, and you can't take them with you when you move out. Really, it's not that great of an idea. It may sound good on paper, but the reality just doesn't make as much sense.

But sonos could make your basic active speaker. Not really different then anything else, just use the name brand to make a few bucks. Some customers would like it, but it would probably confuse a lot of customers. They would assume it's an active speaker (somehow) and doesn't need to be wired to an amp. Or perhaps they'd assume that it would only work with the sonos amp, or that the amp only works with these speakers. and thus they'd lose sales. And worse, case they would assume the powered speakers in the sonos line up are just as dumb as these ceiling speakers. Really, I don't think it's a good idea, since it would probably cause more confusion then anything else.

Sonos is trying to keep it simple and letting the customer pick whatever speaker they want to use with an amp. I don't see a problem with that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A gen2 Connect amp would be nice that couldnuse subwoofer output with 5.1 and notnhave to be wired for 5.1 to router or playbar.
"I would guess they thought about it and rejected it. First off, consider that sonos only makes wireless speakers. Specifically they don't have speaker wires, they have power cords. So instead of wiring speaker wire (low voltage), you'd have to wire for power in your ceiling...a more difficult task to consider. Not to mention that these speakers would cost more than you're typical in-ceiling speakers, and you can't take them with you when you move out. Really, it's not that great of an idea. It may sound good on paper, but the reality just doesn't make as much sense....."

Thanks for the thoughtful reply really hadn't thought through the power issue and I do use the Connect:Amp to drive the ceiling speakers. Now if they could only deal with DTS 🆒
A gen2 Connect amp would be nice that couldnuse subwoofer output with 5.1 and notnhave to be wired for 5.1 to router or playbar.

Yes. But let's make it so a line in source doesn't have a delay (optional) so that I can use it with a tv. I know, I'm cutting in to sales of the HT products, but my intentions are pure. I only want to use it on the outdoor tv, where I'd never put a playbar/playbase anyway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Oh that would be the SUPERCONNECT needed. Line in source HDMI able to output to 7 individual speakers for 7.1 system
Oh that would be the SUPERCONNECT needed. Line in source HDMI able to output to 7 individual speakers for 7.1 system

Well, a SUPERCONNECT:AMP maybe. I really don't need anything other than stereo though, as the outdoor environment I have set up really doesn't lend itself to anything other than stereo. The important thing is removal of the time lag between audio and video.