Playbar volume Samsung QE55Q7F

• 25 July 2017
  • 7 replies

Is there a way to get the new Samsung universal remote to control the new sound on the Soundbar. The steps for the F series do not work
on the new Samsungs.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Badge
Hey there. I have the Samsung UN55MU9000 and can tell you that it doesn't work with my remote either. Might be a Samsung thing. However, if you have an Apple TV, it does work on the Apple remote.
Samsung remotes are radio frequency and not infrared which Sonos works off of.
This is an issue I am having also. Sonos configuration instructions do not work (https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4198)
How does Sonos, a Wireless hardware company not support RF......?

You can program the Samsung remotes to send IR but the new ones don't seem to want to work with Sonos
Because RF wasn't a "thing" when they designed the Playbar/Playbase, and there hasn't been an update to the hardware in years?
The playbase is a new product it's not even 12 month old..... My 12 year old Bose uses an RF remote.
The Playbase is basically a Playbar, with an extra speaker added, and put in a new case. And it was designed likely 2 to 3 years ago, before RF became a big thing. The Playbar itself was probably designed 7 to 10 years ago, as a guess. Of course, all of this is conjecture, I don't work for Sonos, nor am I privy to their files of data. I do know a bit about software planning and release. I can only imagine hardware manufacturing is very similar, and less elastic.

You could potentially solve this issue with a harmony remote, if you're interested. There's also several threads about how to make the Samsung remote use IR instead of RF, if you're willing to do a search.

I'm sorry that you're so put out by this issue. I certainly can understand your frustration, but I guess I have a more blasé outlook, and am willing to recognize that Sonos is a trailing feature company. They probably can't afford to change everything on the line every time a single TV manufacturer comes out with a different thing, instead waiting for some sort of consensus before designing and changing the manufacturing line.