Playbar Orientation

• 8 January 2017
  • 9 replies

Is there any benefit to the short orientation versus the tall (wall) orientation with regards to one providing better sound?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I read multiple reviews before buying the Playbar and I can honestly say I haven't heard or read about a sound quality difference. I'd say go for it either way. My is mounted, which is the only deciding factor for me.
If the PLAYBAR's positioned on a table/stand it should sit flat. If it's wall mounted it's in the vertical orientation. Since the drive units inside the PLAYBAR are angled at 45 degrees you get a similar acoustic performance in either.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I've fiddled a bit with my 5.1 setup and realized that with the playbar the angled speakers have an issue with the direction of sound. I guess if you lay them flat the sound bounces off the ceiling and reaches you while in the vertical position (like I have it placed) it bounces off the floor. The reason is that the speakers aren't facing you directly in either position. You begin to realize this when you increase the volume of surrounds by using the music slider in surround (Advanced Menu). My Play 1s sound more closer and direct than the Playbar. Switching the surrounds off and on will help understand the concept.

One thing I have thought of is to have a bracket or stand that will allow me to place the playbar at an angle such that the speakers are directly facing the audience. That way the sound is thrown directly at you.

I am exploring this and look forward to any one who has a solution. 🆒

I don't but the quote below from a review may be relevant:
"The Playbar also has a unique multipositional design: it works flat against a tabletop or flat against a wall for mounting. It's a clever trick that allows the Playbar to have a thin profile in either configuration, whereas other sound bars are generally either too tall on a tabletop or stick out too much when wall-mounted. A sensor inside can tell which configuration the Playbar is in and adjusts its sonics accordingly. (It needs less bass if it's wall-mounted.) There's even a second remote sensor on the Playbar that's positioned to better receive commands in the wall-mounting position."
If your ears are at or above the level of a table top, place the PLAYBAR in the flat/horizontal orientation. Sound doesn't 'bounce off the ceiling'. There's sufficient dispersion from the drive units.

Tilting the PLAYBAR at 45 degrees is likely to confuse the accelerometer. It may not know whether it's horizontal or vertical. This shouldn't affect the sound but one or other IR sensor may not work.
I'm having some shelves constructed to resemble similar shelving/built-in in my living room. I plan to position my tv on top of the new shelving and place my soundbar on the first shelf below which will have 2-3 inches of open space above and several inches of open space on each side. Do any of you foresee potential issues with placing the sound bar in a 'confined' space in this manner? Based upon the above information, I'm considering positioning the sound bar on the shelf in it's typical wall mounted position. Any thoughts/ideas/things to consider are appreciated.

Tilting the PLAYBAR at 45 degrees is likely to confuse the accelerometer. It may not know whether it's horizontal or vertical. This shouldn't affect the sound but one or other IR sensor may not work.

45 degrees is probably too extreme. Even a 10 degree change can have a significant impact on speaker placement. I'm guessing the accelerometer wouldn't notice such a subtle change.
You can actually tell if the accelerometer thinks there is a change. Trueplay will give you the little "red light" warning that you should rerun the setup.
Badge

"The Playbar also has a unique multipositional design: it works flat against a tabletop or flat against a wall for mounting. It's a clever trick that allows the Playbar to have a thin profile in either configuration, whereas other sound bars are generally either too tall on a tabletop or stick out too much when wall-mounted. A sensor inside can tell which configuration the Playbar is in and adjusts its sonics accordingly. (It needs less bass if it's wall-mounted.) There's even a second remote sensor on the Playbar that's positioned to better receive commands in the wall-mounting position."

Personal opinion, I hear more bass from table top placement, less when wall mounted. Perhaps the adjustment of sonics mentioned here is the case. Makes me hesitant to hang it. Tabletop (on wood media cabinet) sounds better.

Personal opinion, I hear more bass from table top placement, less when wall mounted. Perhaps the adjustment of sonics mentioned here is the case. Makes me hesitant to hang it. Tabletop (on wood media cabinet) sounds better.

Hello community,

I can’t find a clear answer on this yet but:

I have a shelf directly above my tv, which is the only area the Playbar can fit. It’s 2-3 inches above the tv and I currently have it positioned vertically (Sonos logo furthest from tv).

Should I place is flat (horizontally) so there is more bass response? I have 12ft ceilings and fear that, though it might sound great for music with extra bass, it might not be good for directing voice/movies.

I don’t have he sub or surrounds at this house so just the Playbar (for now).

Thoughts?